hi guys. so it seems whenever i speed pick on the low e string i get a scratchy sound. do you think its cause my amp settings or cause im doing it wrong? also. i need help with improving my speed picking. i can do it really fast. but when it comes to slowing it down. such as the fast part in one by metallica i have trouble doing it at that speed. i can speed it up. but when i try and do it at slower speeds i loose controll. any advice?
Yep. Pick a slight bit flatter, and perhaps not so deep.

About your speed picking, I'd suggest you play the same way as you shred; you know how you can just go into auto-mode and shred scales up down up down? Use auto-mode for anything you play. Also do tremolo exercises by starting a very slow tremolo and gradually speed it up. Should give you a better feel of the different speeds. Also, metronome.
Put your hand into position prepared to pick the E string, then look at it. If the pick is angled you're probably just hearing the pick make a lot of the noise against the string, which gives a more aggressive attack and allows you to play slightly faster, most shredders seem to be into angling the pick.

As for losing control, look up Tuxguitar, put your favorite licks into that but at a reaaaaaaaally slow tempo and then practice them at various tempos. It sounds like the speed in your hand is there but your coordination between right and left hand isn't too developed, so just play all the stuff you would do in an exercise but at various slow tempos. Personally when I do an exercise I only play it at a speed of 16ths at 150 bpm (10 nps) but making sure every note is entirely clean.

Hope that helps.
Quote by Twitch Galvy
Yep. Pick a slight bit flatter, and perhaps not so deep.

About your speed picking, I'd suggest you play the same way as you shred; you know how you can just go into auto-mode and shred scales up down up down? Use auto-mode for anything you play. Also do tremolo exercises by starting a very slow tremolo and gradually speed it up. Should give you a better feel of the different speeds. Also, metronome.

No offence, but that's terrible advice.

TS - there's no such thing as "speed picking", your technique should remain consistent regardless of the speed you're playing at. The movements should be the same and the level of control you have should be the same. If you're doing something differently when you play faster then ultimately you're doing something wrong.

Slow down, use a metronome and focus on keeping your hands in sync and above all else maintaining control. The moment your right hand starts spazzing at the strings and your left hand is flailing at the frets hoping to keep up is the point at which you're playing too fast. When that happens you need to slow back down to the speed at which you've got everything under control. When you're conistently playing something cleanly without mistakes you can look at increasing the speed by a couple of bpm.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com