I play in a metal band and we will be playing some small gigs soon, like auditorium sized stuff and maybe a bit bigger. I need a new amp and I'm not sure what will be loud enough. Would I need a 2x12 or would a 1x12 be fine, like the Randall RG75? I've heard that's good for metal but is it loud enough? My budget is around $300-400.
How many speakers an amp have mostly has an affect on tone, rather than volume. It is a good amp, and is loud enough for small gigs. Bigger gigs it will suffice but you are going to want to mic it.

Another option is the Jet City JCA20.
Last edited by due 07 at Aug 8, 2010,
Fender Frontman 212R, i have one and it will definitely be loud enough for a small gig. But it does have a really bluesy tone to it, I dont know if that is an issue or not, but just letting ya know
Quote by no4q2
Fender Frontman 212R, i have one and it will definitely be loud enough for a small gig. But it does have a really bluesy tone to it, I dont know if that is an issue or not, but just letting ya know

That was gonna be my answer. You could buy that amp and still have some dough left over to buy a nice distortion pedal.
Quote by no4q2
Fender Frontman 212R, i have one and it will definitely be loud enough for a small gig. But it does have a really bluesy tone to it

I'm not trying to flame, but my one encounter with a 212R made me want to throw it at a wall, it sounded that bad.

OP: Look, anything with about 30-40W or more will do the trick. You don't need a huge amp. There are many, many options. Go to a local store and tell the guys what your budget is, and they'll recommend you something.

My only recommendation would be the appropriately priced Roland Cube - I have the 60 and it's awesome.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Randal RG75 would do you fine as long as you are mic'd. (which is something available in any place that is worth playing).

here are some other options in your price range:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-VYPYR-100-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482911

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-VYPYR-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482912
Whatever you do, DO NOT get a Frontman. Not for metal. Worst amp choice for metal. I cant stress that enough.
- Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
- Fender USA Strat
- Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
- Orange PPC-212OB Cab
- Marshall JTM600 Head
- Marshall JTM410 Cab
Quote by forsaknazrael
Line 6 Flextone III
Peavey Vypyr 75

Probably best bet for such a small budget. Look for used Flextones on craigslist.

Really? He could get a new Jet City in his budget, not to mention what he could buy used.

EDIT: I thought your first suggestion was a Spider lol, but still he could probably do better if he tried.
Last edited by Kcintlob at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by forsaknazrael
I haven't tried the new Jet City stuff. I'm not about to recommend it blindly.

Fair enough, haha

I think the Jet City would work for him. I tried one out, and I didn't really like it. Of course I wanted good cleans and the only high gain I use is fuzz, so it should be exactly what he's looking for.

@OP - I was able to get some pretty good Hard Rock tones with it, but I'm not sure if it does metal because I wasn't trying to push that hard. You'd have to ask around a little bit more and try one out yourself, because it isn't really geared towards most of the stuff I play.