Hi all, I am currently using a marshall haze 40 combo but I love the old plexi tone, but I cant afford one. I heard about this new JMD:1, had a look at the combos but they're a bit too expensive (I could buy them still if I wanted to). After searching I found the Vintage Modern series.

So, I'm trying to choose between these three amps. I'm looking for an AC/DC kind of sound (and I am awaiting an ANgus Young signature pickup for my Gibson SG special).

Thanks.
None of those. Go for a Bluesbreaker or JTM 45.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
bluesbreaker or jtm45
you could sell your haze and grab a super lead and a cab.

If you want ac/dc sound keep in mind that you will be needing loud power tube distortion. you'll need a non master amp.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I really liked the VM 2466.

It would seriously fit your needs perfectly.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Quote by gutted_radical
how bout a blackstar studio?

If you mean the HT series, they're way more modern sounding than the tones he's after, not to mention having a circuit board like a computer.

I'd also suggest the Fargen Miniplex.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
For Angus tones I'd grab a 1987 circuit.

Angus has been known to use them live and it's close enough to a JTM45 to be perfect, but it will also do other hard rock bands, whereas the JTM-45s rectifier might have too much bloom for your tastes.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
1987 is NMV. It's a 50W Lead.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I have no idea what I'm talking about. I've secretly been using guitar rig 3 this whole time.
bai.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I've never played a JTM 45 before but I'll give it a +1 anyway.

What is your budget btw and where do you live roughly?

Also your thread title was slightly misleading. I was hoping for an epic thread with lots of reviews and clips and such
Quote by bubb_tubbs
For Angus tones I'd grab a 1987 circuit.

Angus has been known to use them live and it's close enough to a JTM45 to be perfect, but it will also do other hard rock bands, whereas the JTM-45s rectifier might have too much bloom for your tastes.

I'd get a JTM45 and one of those Weber tube rectifier replacement thingies, some people love that fat saggy JTM sound, and with a 15 second switch you can change that to a more less bloomy superbass type sound
Sorry, I was trying to make the title stand out, but I am planning on doing osmething like that in the future. My budgets pretty low, its about 500-1000 bucks. I roughly live in Perth WA
^ Have you tried any of the higher end plexi-type pedals like the Wampler Super Plextortion or the Lovepedal Purple Plexi?

18W Marshall clone? Bit easier to crank it up and meant to get something pretty close to the Plexi-ish sound.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

^ It'll be a bit different though. It has a soggier low end because of the low wattage and EL84s.

^ I thought it would be, s'why I kept it vague because I wasn't sure

It may be different but I imagine even with that difference would still get you in the ball park of AC/DC.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Raijouta
If you mean the HT series, they're way more modern sounding than the tones he's after, not to mention having a circuit board like a computer.

I'd also suggest the Fargen Miniplex.

i meant the studios or artisans
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
^ So what you're saying is it's not like a Marshall at all?

Quote by arrthor
no, I don't really use pedals.

The Wampler Plextortion and Purple Plexi are great pedals, they really do cop the old Marshall tones for not much money, all things considered.

Of course, if you have a grand and no amp to play through, you can't really run pedals into a PA system and expect to sound good.

I once again recommend you look at the Bluesbreaker. Keep in mind as it's a non-master volume amp, you'll have to run it loud.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
^ You just made me spill my beer!

Quote by forsaknazrael
I'd skip the Vintage Moderns for sure. I did not like those at all.

Keep an eye out for an old JMP2204. It's a Super Lead.

really? i thought it did a decent impression honestly. i quite liked that head.

i'll second the jtm45 or 1987 though. great amps.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Sooo... I will get flamed terribly for this, but I actually prefer MV equipped amps like an 800 for riff-oriented music like AC/DC.

I don't know where and how you guys crank your amps. Mine is at the verge of ripping my head off with the master at 2.
^ Attenuator and power amp.

My Master never went below 5.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ You just made me spill my beer!

how hahha?
Gear:
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by forsaknazrael
Because he finds the 1960 to be anything but amazing.

well okay
Gear:
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by gutted_radical
how hahha?

grab this until you can find a bigger one.

edit: to late, find a bigger one.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gutted_radical
how hahha?

Because it's terrible.