So I recently aquired a new VT30, and I love it so far, but I find it too "bassy" at times.

I think I've read somewhere that removing the back panel would fix this. Is this correct?
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Turning down the bass EQ would probably be easier.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Yes my friend did this with his and it sounds much better. Not so much less bassy, but less muddy.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
when i play clean on my VT100 i have the bass on ZERO!!! and it sounds good. Gut if i hit too hard with my humbuckers it still jumps out wiht a shitload of bass.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
wahh? i always play the bass on 0 on my vt15, will removing the backplate really remove bass?
It's not the bass EQ. It's like an overall "bassy" tone. Kinda like a subwoofer.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Try it. They aren't the hardest things in the world to remove (I had to re-solder some speaker connections in my VT15) and they're easily replaced. Unfortunately I don't have mine with me at the moment otherwise I'd try it for you. You just need a Phillips head screwdriver.

Open back cabs generally have looser bass response, so yeah, it should reduce the bassiness (word ?) of the combo, depending on the speakers. On a closed back cab and open back cab with identical speakers, the open back will have less bass response. However, I'm not sure about the bass response on the speakers Vox put in them.
Generally open backs sound better clean, but I don't think it really has less bass, it's just looser and spreads better. But generally closed back is preferred with distortion, because it has tighter bass, but its not really an issue unless you're playing heavy metal palm mutes, but you'd probably notice a little difference