Are those just a way for companies to make more money or is it really better then full solid state stuff?
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Depends. The hybrids like the Vypyr Tube, Spider Valve, etc. with a tube power section provide a nicer tube tone since it's a full tube section. The ones with one 12AX7 might as well have a lightbulb duct taped on.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I have a Marshall 100w hybrid, and in my opinion it kicks my mate's 100w solid state's ass.
anyone?
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
They are better to the extent that the distortion sounds smoother BUT it can not replicate the sound of an all-tube amp
Gear
Ibanez RG350EX
Encore E9
BB Blaster

I like Llamas
Theyre gimmicks, valves in hybrids are pretty much never fed with enough power to actually contribute to the tone of the amp.

Doesnt mean they sound bad though.
Quote by mmolteratx
Depends. The hybrids like the Vypyr Tube, Spider Valve, etc. with a tube power section provide a nicer tube tone since it's a full tube section. The ones with one 12AX7 might as well have a lightbulb duct taped on.

+1

Quote by LPDC
I have a Marshall 100w hybrid, and in my opinion it kicks my mate's 100w solid state's ass.

That's like saying dog shit tastes better than cat shit. Would you want to eat either?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by mmolteratx

Also the H&K Statesman and a couple of Music Man amps.

Quote by beckyjc
Theyre gimmicks, valves in hybrids are pretty much never fed with enough power to actually contribute to the tone of the amp.

Doesnt mean they sound bad though.

Except ones with tube power-sections like those mmolteratx and I mentioned. The other way around it's usually meh though.

Doesn't the Marshall Mode Four have an all-tube preamp and solid state poweramp? I wonder how that thing sounds. Or the new JMD. Though that one's exactly the other way 'round.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
+1

That's like saying dog shit tastes better than cat shit. Would you want to eat either?

this. Some Hybrid amps can sound quite nice, but the hybrids with just one 12ax7 are just IMO a marketing scheme into the thinking that you will get a tube like tone from just a single 12ax7.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Last edited by Jak Archer at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by beckyjc
This is entirely incorrect. It isn't necessary to run a tube at 300V for it to affect the tone. Whether you like the effect or not is another matter. I have a Hafler T3 preamp that doen't run the tubes at high voltage and it sounds much better than high voltage preamp of the C30 I used to own.

The only way to say the tube in a Valvetronix doesn't contribute to the tone would be to run test points off the input and output of the 12ax7 and listen to it. I doubt anyone has done that.
I have one of Vox's. Personally i think it has the edge over solid state amps tone wise, just sounds a little bit fuller and warmer. It's not a drastic change but it's noticeable.
They're all priced similarly to their solid state equivalent anyway, so it's not like they make much of a bigger margin. Would be interesting if someone conducted a test for the tube or swapped it to see how it affects tone.
Quote by fly135
This is entirely incorrect. It isn't necessary to run a tube at 300V for it to affect the tone. Whether you like the effect or not is another matter. I have a Hafler T3 preamp that doen't run the tubes at high voltage and it sounds much better than high voltage preamp of the C30 I used to own.

The only way to say the tube in a Valvetronix doesn't contribute to the tone would be to run test points off the input and output of the 12ax7 and listen to it. I doubt anyone has done that.

I'm going to agree with her if she was just talking about the Vox's. I can't see how that one 12ax7 would do anything to the tone of that amp. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
I love the Vox Valvetronix series. I do think you get some tube feel. It's probs the best frist amp out there. The Vyper is WAY to goddamn noisy. If i touch the thing, it'll produce a sound like I punched the string.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Actually, a single 12AX7 can contribute to the tone, but who knows if it does in most hybrids?

The Vypyr Tubes, Music Man amps, the Spider Valve all have tube power sections (the Vypyr Tube also has a single 12AX7 for the phase inverter) which do affect the tone as the amp gets louder.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Cathbard
+1

WINNNNNN!
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
i will say that my old Hybrid Marshall AVT50 was a huge step up from playing a Line 6 Spider 3.

it only had one 12ax7 in it, but throwing in a nicer tube definitely made it noticeably brighter. With a tubescreamer in front of it, it sounded even better.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
If were talking the valvetronix the digital processing and modeling is surely going to make a much bigger impact on the tone than the one valve that theyve got chucked in between the power and preamp.

I mean, all these people are just like, yeah, my hybrid sounded much better than "insert random crappy amp here", that isnt down to the valve in the circuitry, its down to the fact its just a better amp.
whether its the tube(s) affecting the tone or not, like you said basically, a hybrid amp is still probably going to be better quality than most solid state anyway. So in turn, yes it is better than solid state.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
-insert over glorified list of solid state amps that would give valve amps a good run for their money-

You cant say hybrids are better than solid state. Like you cant say valve is better than solid state.

Its different technology, good for different things, a well designed amp of whatever technology is capable of being as great or as shit as any other amp.

:/ I just dont understand how one valve, just fitted in somewhere in the signal path, will automatically make it better than solid state. It doesnt.
Quote by Flash Nightmare
I'm going to agree with her if she was just talking about the Vox's. I can't see how that one 12ax7 would do anything to the tone of that amp. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Shows you have no real idea of what the tube actually does in the amp. Typical.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Flash nightmare has been trolling all day

And I can somewhat agree with you becky, but in the end trying to argue with people that tube is better than solid state at all is just a useless argument.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
The bottom line is that nobody knows how much the tube in the Valvetronix contributes to the tone. It's supposed to emulate a power tube and includes an xformer to simulate xformer saturation. Does it actually do that? Nobody except the amp designers probably know for sure. Can you saturate an xformer, even a small one at the low currents used? I can't say. Also, like tube amps it get most of it's distortion from the preamp.

There are a lot of people who like the amp and think it sounds tubelike, so it seems like they accomplished something with the design.
I really don't like hybrids to me it's a cheap way for the amp maker to call something a tube amp. I'm sure some of them sound decent, but i would rather buy a good all tube, or all SS amp.