So my sister knocked over my acoustic guitar the other day and it broke of the g string tunning key. pissed me off. So i had to tune the g with screwdriver after my dad drilled a whole in what was left of the peg. So today i decided to change the string today. I got the string off and began putting the other one on. When i starrted useing the screw driver the back part of the key slid and wont go back. For ages my dad has been saying he would buy new keys but has yet to do so. But when he does is there any special brand or material i should look out for. And should i let my dad install the keys or will it just **** things up even worse if he does. Thanx.
Why pluck just one string when you can...
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Last edited by ledhead205 at Aug 8, 2010,
take your guitar to the store so that they could give you one(or a set) that fits
and did your dad drill into the guitar? that could cuase problems late rif he did.
replacing them shouldnt be too difficults its just a few screws and nuts
he drilled in the key not the guitar. If i take it to the local gc the clerk isnt gonna recommend some throught the roof in price key is he. Cause they do crap like that alot.
How much does a single key usual cost.
I got my first gig in january and i kinda need to practice daily and i cant at the moment. Im sorta panicing right know.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
what the ****, the entire machine head fell off? lol

so he reinserted the machine head a few eighths over from it's original position?

edit:my bad. nvm
Last edited by EagerAdoration at Aug 8, 2010,
the key part freakin snapped of. I was so pissed at my sister when she knocked it over.. He drilled in what was left if the key so i could turn the key with the end of a knife or screwdriver.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
So, wait a minute.

Just the key? As in, only the part that you physically grasp and turn in order to tune; the part that is visible in the above picture? The tuning machine itself is intact and unmolested?

If so, just take it to a nearby shop and be like, "lol. new tuning key plz kthnxbai." Seriously, same exact damn thing happened to my Taylor 110 a couple of years ago and they just popped it on. No charge, took maybe two minutes in and out. The "free of charge" bit might depend on how good of terms you are with your shop, though. Just make sure it fits.
Yeah the machine head is fine. But the only place around here that has anything to do with guitars is a guitar center. I dont think they fix stuff, do they?
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
My dad just ordered some Grover keys that are normally like 90 dollar bucks for 30 dollars. I think they may be locking tunners or something. He would tell anything about them.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
ledhead205, I've linked to the correct page at the Stewart Macdonald site that lists all of their tuning machines. Find the type that matches what you currently have on your guitar and go from there. They aren't all that expensive(unless you want them to be) and there's a ton to choose from. Your dad should do his homework a bit, not that Grovers are bad or anything, but are they correct for your guitar?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners.html
He did some measurements and it all matched up. But thanks for the link, ill check it out.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm