This is a very annoying problem and it drives me crazy. When I play my guitar and just let the guitar hang there without me holding it the amp will start buzzing louder and louder until I cover the strings with my hands. I guess it's called amp feedback but I have no clue.

Is there anyway to stop this from happening? The ringing is just frustrating and I don't know how to stop it.
Your volume knob on your guitar answers that question.
- Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
- Fender USA Strat
- Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
- Orange PPC-212OB Cab
- Marshall JTM600 Head
- Marshall JTM410 Cab
Even if the guitar is just sitting on my lap or if I just lay it down on the guitar stand it will start to ring. When I go to my guitar teachers house to play his amps never do this. Even when I play at guitar center the amps don't do it (at least I have never noticed)
What amp do you have? Is it on when you lay it down? Do you have the TV on when you're playing? Should be a simple solution.
- Fender USA Strat
- Orange PPC-212OB Cab
- Marshall JTM600 Head
- Marshall JTM410 Cab
It's either feedback from your guitar, pedals, or amp hum.

If you can't control it by adjusting volume, gain, and your position in relation to the amp, you may want to look into a noise gate. The ISP decimator is a solid choice.

If the feedback stops when you roll the guitar volume knob out, you need to put it in front of the amp. From your description, this is the problem.

If it's actually amp hum "(Though this normally wouldn't increase in volume) the gate goes in your loop.
Well sorry for being a damn noob guys.
It's a Bugera 6262 amp.
I am simply just asking. Why does it happen on my amp but not on any other amp I play?
Is there a pedal I can get that will get rid of the feedback?
Quote by AcousticMirror
you probably have a microphonic preamp tube in the v1 or v2.

I have no idea what that is.
I just watched a video of the ISP Decimator and that is EXACTLY what I need.
Gosh. It works like this:

Your pickups are magnetised by the changing field around them, caused by the vibration of the strings. This noise comes out of your amp. If this noise, causes your strings to vibrate, then the amp picks up its own noise, and the cycle continues. This gets bigger and bigger until you get that squealing noise. Resonance is actually the correct term for this.

The more 'high-gain' an amp is (like yours), the easier it is to get it to achieve this behaviour, which is often desirable. Try it on a JC120 - it's a nice, clean amp and you don't get that same behaviour.

In short, you need to control what signal goes to your amp. This is most simply done by turning down the volume on your guitar. This makes it impossible for any signal to get through, as the voltage drop across the pot is too great.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I have a POD XT live. Do you think there is an effect that is on there or one that can be downloaded that resembles the ISP decimator?
When we are playing on stage with 100W amps turned up don't you think we get feedback if we leave our guitars turned up and not touched? It's just the nature of the game.
It's something we all have to live with and it's not hard to stop, you just turn down the guitar volume. Isn't this just common sense?
It probably doesn't happen as much at your teacher's house because you haven't got the amp turned up as loud and/or his room has less natural reverb. If you play in a bathroom it will feedback constantly. In a fully deadened studio it hardly happens at all unless you face the amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by seemeel
Gosh. It works like this:

Your pickups are magnetised by the changing field around them, caused by the vibration of the strings. This noise comes out of your amp. If this noise, causes your strings to vibrate, then the amp picks up its own noise, and the cycle continues. This gets bigger and bigger until you get that squealing noise. Resonance is actually the correct term for this.

The more 'high-gain' an amp is (like yours), the easier it is to get it to achieve this behaviour, which is often desirable. Try it on a JC120 - it's a nice, clean amp and you don't get that same behaviour.

In short, you need to control what signal goes to your amp. This is most simply done by turning down the volume on your guitar. This makes it impossible for any signal to get through, as the voltage drop across the pot is too great.

Ok thanks. I just always thought the the volume knob on the guitar had to be turned all the way up and nowhere in between. I'll try turning it down just a hair tomorrow.
Don't mind these guys if they give you a hard time. Us guitarist's like to think we are better than the other guy, but one thing we seem to forget is we were all brand new just like you at one point. Were here to help. Ego's aside.
- Fender USA Strat
- Orange PPC-212OB Cab
- Marshall JTM600 Head
- Marshall JTM410 Cab
If you have a booger 626* the sound is actually just the amp hum. The Peavey 5150 it was cloned after does the exact same thing. The best way to stop it permanetly is do what has been mentioned above and invest in a Noise Suppressor for you effects loop.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

I appreciate the help guys. Didn't realize my problem was such a common issue. Thought I was the only one with this problem.
No no no, keep your volume all the way up when you're playing, but as soon as you STOP playing, turn your volume knob all the way down so you don't feedback.

Turn it all the way down when you set your guitar down.

If you find that the feedback interferes with your playing, you need to turn down your gain, and/or volume, turn away from the amp, and stand further from the amp.
OR buy an ISP Decimator/Boss NS-2 (preferably ISP)
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Faux~Affliction

If you find that the feedback interferes with your playing,
you need to turn down your gain, and/or volume, turn away from the amp, and stand further from the amp.
OR buy an ISP Decimator/Boss NS-2 (preferably ISP)

THAT^ While I play, the strings that I am not strumming start to ring out.
Quote by SharpShoot3r07
THAT^ While I play, the strings that I am not strumming start to ring out.

then you gotta work on not hitting those strings and/or muting them with your picking hand or fretting hand. if that's the case, then there are some lessons up on youtube about right hand and left hand muting.
3 words: noise suppressor pedal.

If you're playing a 626*, then you need one - you need one with any high amount of gain. It's one of the most important pedals a metal player can have, and I suggest you get one ASAP. You can find the Boss NS-2 used for around $50. It's not as good as the Decimator, but it also costs a fraction of the price, and for most guitarists, the insane prices of the ISP's just aren't worth it for the amount of improvement they show over the Boss.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ok, some of you guys are getting silly with this. He's having a problem when he sets the guitar down on a guitar stand, not in between 'chugs.'

The solution to your problem is simple. When you're going to put the guitar down/read a tab/do some push-ups/jerk off/go to the bathroom; turn the volume knob on the guitar down to 0. If doing this doesn't result in as much noise reduction as you need then resort to a noise gate.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by SharpShoot3r07
. When I play my guitar and just let the guitar hang there without me holding it the amp will start buzzing louder and louder until I cover the strings with my hands. I guess it's called amp feedback but I have no clue.

duh
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads