I was on Kijiji (canadian craigslist) and i came across a tweed Mesa Boogie Rect-o-Verb. its 50 watts, and comes with peavey 412m cab. its listed for $1000 CND. i think its a great deal, but i dont know the exact value of these items (I've never seen a tweed rect-o-verb before and i've never cared for peavey cabs - nobody here sells them anyway). can somebody give me approx price of both these items? (i'd most likely sell the cab anyway, i dont really want it) thanks!

i also found a tripple rectifier for $1100. could i possibly re-sell that for more? i've seen those sell for about $1800 here if i remember correctly. i dont really want this amp, but if i could re-sell it for more, i'll be more than happy to do so

i found a Mesa Stiletto Trident (Stage II) for $1000. i've seen a used one at a local shop for $1800. i'm assuming this is a great price and i should jump on that?

obviously i'm in canada, so for all you americans, the prices are more expensive here. please guys, i need some help!
What music are you in to?
They all sound like great deals, peavey cabs aren't good, but the head would probably be worth that alone.
I'd go the Triple Rec - it's awesome.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
sorry guys, i'm not sure if i actually want to keep any of them! i've been saving for a Roadster or Roadking, but i'm stick of renting/borrowing amps. i'm just wondering if these will be close enough to what i need, then could later sell them (or sell them immediately) for profit?

the music i'm into and play ranges from:
pop: Maroon 5, Jack johnson, KT Tunstall, Gavin Degraw, The Fray, Daughtry
rock: Our Lady Peace (Gravity and earlier only), Paramore, 3 Doors Down, John Mayer
Hard Rock: Breaking Benjamin, Evans Blue, Three Days Grace, A Perfect Circle, Bullet for my Valentine, Flyleaf
Punk Rock: Rise Against, Alexisonfire, Billy Talent
Metal: We Came As Romans, As I Lay Dying, Atreyu, In Flames, Darkest Hour
Synth: Lights, Owl City
Classic Rock: Rush, AC/DC, Zeppelin, Clapton, ZZ Top

I know its a VERY diverse set of music, but there's even more. I'm in 4 bands at the moment, and three of them gigging. Two are cover bands, two are originals. Between the 4 of them, all this stuff plus MUCH more is listed. I cant say what single sound is most important to me, since, they all are. Classic Rock isn't that much honestly. The rest are very important. I play them all about equally.

This is why i was saving for Roadster/Roadking (maybe Mark V) but i really would love to stop renting or borrowing...
Well, if you play such a diverse range of music, I'd probably go for the RoadKing instead of any of the three you listed, its a lot more versatile.
It's between the Trident or the Rect-o-Verb, in my opinion. The Peavey cab is crap, though.

What's your total budget?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yea, definitely get the Rectoverb. Sick amp for a sick price. Definitely get a new cab though ASAP.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
the thing is, i'm not really sure if i want to settle for anything other than roadster or road king. i was only really messing around on the site and i came across these. i was more interested in resale value of these amps more than the sound. i know the stiletto and tripple rectifier well (and know i dont want to keep either if i bought them).

does anybody actually know a possible resale value of any of the three amps? all three amps i found seemed like desperate sellers.
rectoverb...last time i saw on on kijiji i think it was 1000? I don't assume that peavey cab will be worth much money, and the quality is probably not the greatest. this is ottawa kijiji, by the way.

the trident sounds like a good deal. i find the market is flooded with triple recs (or duals, for that matter.) Personally, i'd rather have the less common one.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
All those deals sound fantastic, but since you said that you're saving up for either a RKII or Roadster, *personally* I would go that route. I actually own a Roadster, and swear by it... It is the best amp I have ever played (for what I typically use it for anyway), and is versatile beyond belief. The RKIIs obviously are better, but I don't really see the point in getting one for the extra several hundred bucks and a case of option anxiety.

The Stilettos are also fantastic amps, but they're much different from the Recto's. They're based off EL-34 power-amp ideals and unless you're tone-chasing in the British realm, I'd go with the Rectifiers. I'd stay away from the Triple Rectifier. I'm not insinuating whatsoever that they are bad-sounding (because they're excellent amps), but they are WAY too powerful for my tastes. They have fantastic amounts of headroom and power, but I think they're more suited for military use as a weapon rather than bedroom practice, or even small gigging.

EDIT: Just realized that that Stiletto is a Trident, which is also 150W, which is unnecessarily loud. Still good sounding, but loud as ****.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Quote by Karlboy

EDIT: Just realized that that Stiletto is a Trident, which is also 150W, which is unnecessarily loud. Still good sounding, but loud as ****.
FYI Ace - 50W, Stiletto = 100W, Trident = 150W

+1 to the Roadking
None.

Keep saving for the amp you want,

trust me buying second best just because you can at the time, means you end up paying out twice....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Recently I've had the chance to test a Mesa Boogie Stiletto. It's a pretty shitty amp if you ask me. We were able to get a better hi-gain sound out of a € 400 Bugera amplifier. No joke.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Quote by seemeel
I'd go the Triple Rec - it's awesome.

I don't know about "awesome", but it's the best of what he listed. Not a bad deal at 1.1K either.
Quote by ItWillDo
Recently I've had the chance to test a Mesa Boogie Stiletto. It's a pretty shitty amp if you ask me. We were able to get a better hi-gain sound out of a € 400 Bugera amplifier. No joke.

that's cuz the Stiletto was not designed to be a high gain amp. It's more of a mid-gain amp.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
so...?

what you're saying is i should save up for either the roadster or roadking and pass up on all these amps? keep in mind for home practice i only actually own an MG15 with no working controls, and a half blown speaker.

for band practices i borrow whoever's gear is at the jam rooms. at one place its a Fender 65 Twin Reverb with a tonne of pedals to get my sounds i need. At another, its a Traynor YCV 50 blue with just my metal muff. The third, and possibly the worst setup sound wise, is a Vox Valvetronix 100w amp.

the MG actually gets a better sound than the vox when i use my metal muff (probably due to lack of ANY working onboard controls - its pretty much just an overused, half blown speaker).

i'm leaving for a different city in three weeks (for university), and i'll only have access to my mg to cary around to jam and join new bands. whatever ones we have now might fall apart, we might keep them going. The metal one will still be around, and the pop/rock/synth will still be around. the others are questionable. I've already got HUGE interest from guys in the new city looking to start a band with me, so its about time i get an amp.

my problem is with touition and other expenses, i'll only have about $2500-4500 left over after everything is paid, and that doesn't include the cost of food and other living expenses (rent, internet, cable, hydro, etc are included in my budget)

what do you guys say now? should i go for the cheaper options listed above, risk a better amp, buy something even cheaper (bugera), or continue saving (possibly another year before i can afford roadster with confidence)?
Quote by User_Name336
so...?

what you're saying is i should save up for either the roadster or roadking and pass up on all these amps? keep in mind for home practice i only actually own an MG15 with no working controls, and a half blown speaker.

for band practices i borrow whoever's gear is at the jam rooms. at one place its a Fender 65 Twin Reverb with a tonne of pedals to get my sounds i need. At another, its a Traynor YCV 50 blue with just my metal muff. The third, and possibly the worst setup sound wise, is a Vox Valvetronix 100w amp.

the MG actually gets a better sound than the vox when i use my metal muff (probably due to lack of ANY working onboard controls - its pretty much just an overused, half blown speaker).

i'm leaving for a different city in three weeks (for university), and i'll only have access to my mg to cary around to jam and join new bands. whatever ones we have now might fall apart, we might keep them going. The metal one will still be around, and the pop/rock/synth will still be around. the others are questionable. I've already got HUGE interest from guys in the new city looking to start a band with me, so its about time i get an amp.

my problem is with touition and other expenses, i'll only have about $2500-4500 left over after everything is paid, and that doesn't include the cost of food and other living expenses (rent, internet, cable, hydro, etc are included in my budget)

what do you guys say now? should i go for the cheaper options listed above, risk a better amp, buy something even cheaper (bugera), or continue saving (possibly another year before i can afford roadster with confidence)?

Nothing wrong with saving money right now and buying a Bugera. Just get a combo and a couple of cheaper Chinese made V30's and you'll be golden at half the price.
I'm really fond of my new Blackstar. It was $800 and worth every penny. It does pretty much any kind of music you can throw at it.
if you know my history with gigging, i've done somewhere in the range of 400 shows in the years i've been playing. with an MG15, i've obviously always rented or borrowed amps for these shows. i've played with almost every amp under the sun. I'm fond of Bugera, but not sure if they'll give the versatility that i want, nor do i particularly like their "rock" sounds. i adore the metal they do on their own, and their cleans are acceptable to me, but i find they lack for everything else. I've tried various pedals to fix these problems (rented bugeras more times than i can count - i get them so cheap since i'm close with shop employees/owners of store and i rent so frequently). They do the job for my metal band, but i feel they'd be REALLY lacking for my pop/rock/synth stuff.
You could get one of those amps, personally i'd say the rect-o-verb, then continue to save up for a RKII and sell the Rect-o-verb when you ready to get the RKII.
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Quote by AxSilentxLine

+1 to the Roadking

Wrong (ish).

Actually, Stiletto is the series:
Ace- 50W
Deuce - 100W
Trident - 150W
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Quote by User_Name336
so...?

with the vox, only two or three of the clean channels take pedals well. u gotta play around a bit.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by fbeckinsale
You could get one of those amps, personally i'd say the rect-o-verb, then continue to save up for a RKII and sell the Rect-o-verb when you ready to get the RKII.

This. And that's coming from a guy who actually owns a Rect-O-Verb. Love it to death, it's got incredible sounds and I can go from bright Eric Clapton-bluesy cleans to sludgy Alice in Chains-esque distortion, and I plan to take it to college with me since it's loud enough for gigs and practice but can be quiet enough for dorm usage. However, if I'd had the cash, I would definitely have taken the Road King any day. If you're looking to buy used, I bought my Rect-O-Verb for $800 at GC.
Another suggestion is a 2-channel Dual Rectifier. They aren't made anymore but apparently they have better sound than the Triple Rectos, and they go for reasonable prices too, usually between $800 and $1300
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Last edited by EvilAngel93 at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by AxSilentxLine

+1 to the Roadking

no.
ace=50
deuce=100
trident=150

For the record, don't buy anything unless you never want the cash back. NOBODY has cash. Go take a look at HC. nobody can sell anything for cash. its always trades.

and for the record. a lot of people like triple over dual rectifiers because of increased headroom and bigger OT.

I personally own a 2ch triple rec. The thing is such a beast.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by EvilAngel93
This. And that's coming from a guy who actually owns a Rect-O-Verb. Love it to death, it's got incredible sounds and I can go from bright Eric Clapton-bluesy cleans to sludgy Alice in Chains-esque distortion, and I plan to take it to college with me since it's loud enough for gigs and practice but can be quiet enough for dorm usage. However, if I'd had the cash, I would definitely have taken the Road King any day. If you're looking to buy used, I bought my Rect-O-Verb for $800 at GC.
Another suggestion is a 2-channel Dual Rectifier. They aren't made anymore but apparently they have better sound than the Triple Rectos, and they go for reasonable prices too, usually between $800 and $1300

do you think it could easily cover all the music styles i've listed there? would there be anything maybe better than the amps i've listed for around the same price?
Quote by User_Name336
do you think it could easily cover all the music styles i've listed there? would there be anything maybe better than the amps i've listed for around the same price?

Quote by User_Name336
the music i'm into and play ranges from:
pop: Maroon 5, Jack johnson, KT Tunstall, Gavin Degraw, The Fray, Daughtry
rock: Our Lady Peace (Gravity and earlier only), Paramore, 3 Doors Down, John Mayer
Hard Rock: Breaking Benjamin, Evans Blue, Three Days Grace, A Perfect Circle, Bullet for my Valentine, Flyleaf
Punk Rock: Rise Against, Alexisonfire, Billy Talent
Metal: We Came As Romans, As I Lay Dying, Atreyu, In Flames, Darkest Hour
Synth: Lights, Owl City
Classic Rock: Rush, AC/DC, Zeppelin, Clapton, ZZ Top

Absolutely. It's one of the more versatile amps you'll find; I don't play much pop but I can definitely say that the clean channel handles A Perfect Circle-esque cleans perfectly when my band covers them. The Mesa/Boogie website can describe the features better, but essentially, it has a green and red channel, with two modes (clean and pushed) on the green and three modes (raw, vintage, and modern) on the red channel. I've owned mine for a year so I've done alot of experimenting on it, and I've been able to get alot of the sounds you're lookin' for.
EDIT: as for better amps....hrm. I think if you want a good range of sounds, the Rect-O-Verb is the best amp aside from the Roadster/Road King, but as for other amp brands, the Bogner Alchemist is a pretty tight amp, although I think it did a slightly lesser job with higher gain sounds.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Last edited by EvilAngel93 at Aug 10, 2010,
Quote by EvilAngel93
Absolutely. It's one of the more versatile amps you'll find; I don't play much pop but I can definitely say that the clean channel handles A Perfect Circle-esque cleans perfectly when my band covers them. The Mesa/Boogie website can describe the features better, but essentially, it has a green and red channel, with two modes (clean and pushed) on the green and three modes (raw, vintage, and modern) on the red channel. I've owned mine for a year so I've done alot of experimenting on it, and I've been able to get alot of the sounds you're lookin' for.
EDIT: as for better amps....hrm. I think if you want a good range of sounds, the Rect-O-Verb is the best amp aside from the Roadster/Road King, but as for other amp brands, the Bogner Alchemist is a pretty tight amp, although I think it did a slightly lesser job with higher gain sounds.

I thought the bogner alchemist sounded like a piece of trash personally.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
i hated it as well. i didn't like a single sound i got from it, and i spent a good two hours playing around with it when it first came out. on top of that, it costs MORE than the rect-o-verb, and only a few hundred dollars less than a roadster here in canada.

so i should just go for the rect-o-verb then? what cab should i pair it with? i'm thinking if i can find the stiletto cab or orange 412 used, or maybe an orange or mesa 212? its very hard to find these things in my area used, so i might be out of luck.

EDIT: i just found a Hughes & Kettner 412 with Greenbacks selling for $450. Seems like an incredible deal. How well would this do for the heavier side of things? I'm not at all worried about the cleans or rock sounds, i know these speakers deliver for that. How well do they do metal?
Last edited by User_Name336 at Aug 10, 2010,
Quote by User_Name336
i hated it as well. i didn't like a single sound i got from it, and i spent a good two hours playing around with it when it first came out. on top of that, it costs MORE than the rect-o-verb, and only a few hundred dollars less than a roadster here in canada.

so i should just go for the rect-o-verb then? what cab should i pair it with? i'm thinking if i can find the stiletto cab or orange 412 used, or maybe an orange or mesa 212? its very hard to find these things in my area used, so i might be out of luck.

EDIT: i just found a Hughes & Kettner 412 with Greenbacks selling for $450. Seems like an incredible deal. How well would this do for the heavier side of things? I'm not at all worried about the cleans or rock sounds, i know these speakers deliver for that. How well do they do metal?

Mesa cabs would fit the best if you got a Rect-O-Verb head, but I like Hughes & Kettner's cabs too. I know Adam Dutkiewicz from Killswitch Engage uses them onstage, so that should tell you right there they're capable of metal sounds
Quote by Jackal58

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
any would fit - although personally looking at your tastes the RoV or Triple Recto would probably fit the best - tbh if I were you I'd look at getting an A/B pedal, a Peavey 6505+ head for drive, some sort of Fender for cleans, and a nice cab (avatar or something) instead, cause its gonna be... interesting... trying to find pop tones on a recto...