so ive got around 700 bucks. i NEED a new amp. im a session musician so id like to be able to go from soul to metal to pop fairly easy.....

i do however have my own band and love tone in the range of franz ferdinand. ive been looking at the peavey valveking 212 and that one impresses me the most...any other suggestions?
i want silky smooth fender twin reverb esque cleans though...that is a MUST. im playing an epiphone dot , but i also have a telecaster. so shoot away guys.
Quote by strathead64
link or it didn't happen
Last edited by kajones at Aug 8, 2010,
if you have no cab, go for the valveking, if you do, the JCA100H would be a far better option. also consider the blackstar ht 40(or is it 60) combo

EDIT: if youre going to change the budget to 700, make that ht 20, also add egnater tweaker
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Aug 8, 2010,
i do have a 400 watt b-52 cab.. i was using it with a sold state randall head which sucked but the cabs fairly decent.
Quote by strathead64
link or it didn't happen
Sell your cab and buy yourself a vintage Twin Reverb. You would fairly easily get a silverface one within your budget if you sold your cab.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
i dont think the twin reverb would get him the gain he wants though. he said at least metal, as ambiguous as that is.

how heavy do you want to go ts?

it seems the real problem when looking for an amp is gain. every amp can do cleans(well or not) if you want gain, you need money ha.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Not sure what they are worth US but i recently got a Blackstar HT100 head, this thing is awesome. I find myself not using my effects board so much anymore. Great cleans and a huge range of crunch/lead sounds. I assume the smaller models are similar. Very diverse and capable amps!
i wouldve recommended the 100, but its out of his budget
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
VK owner here. Don't go for the Valveking unless you're interested in modding it... and if you are, then buy it used, and don't get the 212 unless it has non-Valveking speakers. Visit the Valveking thread for more info.

I'd recommend the Vypyr Tube, or a used Line 6 Vetta, or the Jet City Amps JCA100 or JCA50 over the Valveking.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Blackstar ht-40 or Peavey vypyr tube 60
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
why shouldnt he go for it unless hes interested in modding? my friend owns a VK and ive had plenty of experience with it. its unmodded and sounds great. i do think the JCA would still be alot better, the VKs cleans arent very good and JCA are overall a better amp i would say, but i still wouldnt rule out the VK if his budget came down to it

and i wouldnt recommend the vypyrs or anything, he wants tubes. hybrid is just marketing.

ive done alot of looking for versatile amps trust me. JCA, blackstar, etc are your best bet. although i must add that i just got a laney vh100r for under 700 that has very nice fender ish cleans, and has all the gain youll ever want. the laney GH50l is basically a single channel version of this amp and is alot more common and cheaper
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by Linqua5150
why shouldnt he go for it unless hes interested in modding? my friend owns a VK and ive had plenty of experience with it. its unmodded and sounds great. i do think the JCA would still be alot better, the VKs cleans arent very good and JCA are overall a better amp i would say, but i still wouldnt rule out the VK if his budget came down to it

and i wouldnt recommend the vypyrs or anything, he wants tubes. hybrid is just marketing.

ive done alot of looking for versatile amps trust me. JCA, blackstar, etc are your best bet. although i must add that i just got a laney vh100r for under 700 that has very nice fender ish cleans, and has all the gain youll ever want. the laney GH50l is basically a single channel version of this amp and is alot more common and cheaper

The VK's cleans are the best thing about the unmodded amp, and the distortion sounds great once it's modded. Stock, not so much, unless it's run with a nice cab. It's an amp with lots of potential for sure, but without some work it's pretty lackluster. Just compare a modded VK to a non-modded one and you'll see what I mean. http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ilya-v/

The Vypyr Tube is not just marketing. Once you give it some volume, you'll see a big difference between the regular Vypyrs and the Tube. I'd much rather get a Vypyr Tube than a Valveking brand new, especially if versatility is what I'm looking for.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 8, 2010,
Jet City JCA50H
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Check out the Mesa F-30.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals