So I have a Blackstar HT-5 (I'm sure you've heard of it) and I don't really know what kind of pedals you put in the effects loop. So far I only have a Korg Pitchblack tuner and a Digitech Hardwire CM-2, which is an OD. (Off topic question, but what's the difference between a OD pedal and a boost? Yeah). The way I do it is I have my guitar, plugged into the tuner, which is connected to the CM2, which is then plugged into the amp. I'm thinking of purchasing a reverb pedal, and I've come to understand that that is supposed to be plugged into effects loop. How does that work exactly? And if I get some more pedals, how to I connect multiple pedals in the effects loop?
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
To connect more than 1 pedal in the loop, just do it like you would in front of the amp.
FX Send > Pedal 1 > Pedal 2 > FX Return.
Typically, only time based effects go in the loop (Delay, reverb, chorus, flanger)
EDIT: ODs and Boosts both just amplify your signal, the difference is that ODs clip the boosted signal and usually have tone controls too, but boosts don't typically clip the signal and don't have tone controls.
Last edited by littlephil at Aug 8, 2010,
The effects loop is in between the preamp and the power amp. So you put reverb and delay and modulation effects so that they don't sound dirty, muddy, or just generally bad. The difference between an OD and a boost is mostly how you use it. Connect multiple pedals in the loop via small patch cord. Shouldn't need to be more than 6".
So... anyone recommend any awesome reverb pedals? Under 150 USD?
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Hermida effects has a new reverb out for $100 that's supposed to be really nice.

Other than that, there's a few others:

- Tech 21 Boost RVB
- Line 6 Verbzilla
- Malekko Chicklet
- Hardwire RV-7
- Boss RV-5
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
An OD and a boost are, in relative terms, the same thing. When you run an OD in front of your amp's gain channel, you are "boosting" it.

There are "clean boosts" which are supposed to increase the volume a bit and leave your tone unaltered, and there are overdrives, which usually add a bit of mid range and tighten up the lowend, for that extra cutting tone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by due 07
The effects loop is in between the preamp and the power amp. So you put reverb and delay and modulation effects so that they don't sound dirty, muddy, or just generally bad. The difference between an OD and a boost is mostly how you use it. Connect multiple pedals in the loop via small patch cord. Shouldn't need to be more than 6".

Dirty and muddy? Some may sound muddy but dirty? They sound dirtier in the loop. The tails in the loop have the same distortion as the initial strike, in front they clean up as they die down over time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^If you run reverb before distortion the tails get distorted and sustain for longer, and it results in some kind of underwater machine-y sound.

Id say that it sounds dirtier than it does in the loop.
Not when the distortion is from the amp's preamp Becky. Amp distortion is proportional to signal level. So when in front of the amp the tails have a progressively smaller amplitude as they die away so it drives the amp less respectively => the tails have less distortion. When in the loop the signal is already distorted so the tail is repeats of a distorted signal and therefore distorted from start to finish.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Why does it still sound shit wether i use my amps distortion or pedals distortion post reverb then?

Adding reverb to an allready distorted signal still sounds cleaner than adding distortion to a signal with reverb. Ive tried both ways. FX loops are quite neccisary when you dont want reverb to sound like shit with your amps drive.

I dont understand.
Wouldn't reverb sound like shit if you pushed the power section into clipping anyways?

That's why I add my reverb after the power amp in a separate wet cab.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by beckyjc
Why does it still sound shit wether i use my amps distortion or pedals distortion post reverb then?

Modern rock it often doesn’t sound good with reverb. To some extent this is because most rock and metal bands stopped using reverb in the 90s (because hair bands loved it), so we really aren’t used to hearing it. It also takes a lot of futzing around to get a high-gain reverb sound without overdoing it. The typical settings rockabilly players use are horrible for most other music; but turning down the decay keeping the signal from being dominated by the wet sound will help. And if you’re downtuning it’s an even bigger PITA because echos of really low notes muddy up real fast.
Becky, I've run a Quadraverb out the front of my amp for about 20 years and it sounds great. In fact I prefer it out there because the tails get cleaner and mellower as they decay - just like echoes do in the real world. I often run it in the effects loop of my GP-8 but it's all sitting out front of the amp.
Perhaps it's operator error and you are running the FX unit with a sub-optimal input level. Some reverbs work far better at line level. My Quaddy can cope with both with ease. Maybe yours can't?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Considering the Alesis is a £200 rack unit (Made for more than just guitar id guess), im sure itd be much better at studio quality reverb and working at line levels than my holy grail.

The boss, digitech, line 6 stompbox reverbs ive tried all need to be in the loop.

In front of the amp they do the opposite to how yours works, the tails stay and the same volume and get more distorted as it decays.
Well, the Quadraverb has input level indicators and a level control so it doesn't matter where I run it I can adjust the input signal to optimal. The Quadraverb is a fine unit, I haven't heard a pedal that touches it yet and it's getting pretty damn old now. One of the best investments I ever made.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification