Hey all!

I recently purchased a new mic, my first proper studio quality mic: the sE Electronics X1 large-diaphragm condenser! It's a beauty, and more importantly, the recording quality is amazing compared to the crappy dynamic I used to use. (Also, its abbreviated name is sEX1, olololo)

Anyway, here's my first attempt at recording my acoustic guitar with it, rather than using the acoustic's pickup; vocals are recorded using the mic as well, obviously. The other instruments are sampled. The song is a Damien Rice B-side, that is nevertheless a magnificent piece of music!

Damien Rice - Lonelily

Crit for crit as usual

Cheers!
Dude great quality stuff man, top notch. Sounds exactly like something from the radio (as a compliment). I listened to your other recordings and those new mics and recording techniques really made the difference huh? Anyways great playing, great mixing and great voice too bro. Not much to critique. Maybe you already have one but a mic shield would take out a lot of the little PFFtt in some of the vocals.

Very emotional too. Didn't know a fellow pitgoer could be such a musician ha. 9.5/10 man, moderators gonna moderate.
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Hey hey, I'm here to return the favour! (And don't worry, I don't hold grudges! :P)

Acoustic Guitar - Very warm tone, although at some times in the mix it lacks presence. I think it's still very nice though, I'd just prefer some more of that 'twang' that you usually get. But it fits nicely in the background to the vocals.
You know what, forget what I just said - it sounds awesome!

Vocals - All in tune (which is always a good thing!), and enunciation is great too. You sound like a professional, and it's like you could be quite the big name. Love the grit you get near the end on the higher notes. Recorded well once again, nice and warm timbre to the voice. Do you have lessons?

Strings and Backing Vocals - Not much to say here really, great work and accompany the vocals very well.

Very well mixed overall, sound great through my headphones and cpu speakers - so great job there. Only suggestion would maybe to change things round a bit more to make the cover more of 'your own' if you know what I mean.

But great! Really! And thanks for your crit!
Keep it up!
AJ
Wow! That sound is so pure. Your deep voice is incredibly fit for this song......the new mic is obviously sounding great. Just a question: how does it sound micing up an amp? It is versatile with vocals and acoustic, I see, but how would it do with a distorted amp? I may look into it :P Anyways, the guitar was spot on, and great job sampling in the violin/other stuff. But I cant emphasize enough how powerfully meaningful your voice was. Great work!!

EDIT: Also, check out my thread again, please.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24955428#post24955428
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Thanks everyone! I'll address some of these critiques here, and I'll return the favour as soon as I can.

Quote by slayer_zero
I listened to your other recordings and those new mics and recording techniques really made the difference huh?
Quite, although this song, along with my latest original song (The Flower And The Rock) are the only ones I recorded using my new mic. On my other recordings I borrowed a crappy 10 euro dynamic mic from my dad... the difference is amazing.

Quote by slayer_zero
Maybe you already have one but a mic shield would take out a lot of the little PFFtt in some of the vocals.
I know there's a lot of pops on some of my recordings, but like I said, I only just got a new mic, AND a pop shield. So these pops should be history now!

Quote by ankthebank
I think it's still very nice though, I'd just prefer some more of that 'twang' that you usually get.
I used to record my acoustic using its pickup, going straight into my interface. Now I just mic'd it up, though! I really prefer the sound I get from the mic to the pickup sound, even though the latter is more defined and much, much louder. It's hard to get the mic to pick up as much of the guitar's sound as the pickup does... but in general, I still prefer the mic'd up tone.

Quote by ankthebank
Love the grit you get near the end on the higher notes. (...) Do you have lessons?
Lol, the gritty thing I have going on is because I recorded this in the morning, my voice wasn't ready for these high notes at all, I nearly had to scrape them out from the back of my throat

And no, I don't take lessons. I'm planning to, though!

Quote by gatechballer
the new mic is obviously sounding great. Just a question: how does it sound micing up an amp? It is versatile with vocals and acoustic, I see, but how would it do with a distorted amp? I may look into it :P
The mic's a really, really versatile condenser, so it should cope fine recording a distorted amp! You'd have to play with the setup to find the right distance from the amp and the right mic preamp gain that gives you the tone you want, though. The mic also has a low-cut filter and a -10dB pad to help you out with that, or in other words, that are more settings to keep in mind! it'll definitely give you great results recording distorted guitars, though. Drums even, if you want... Bear in mind that you need a mic interface that provides phantom power, though!

Anyway, if you want clips, I'm not the right person to ask, because if I record my amp using my mic it'll sound like crap, and it won't be the mic's fault. I'm running a Boss GT-8 through a Roland Cube 60, which is two modellers in series. You don't want to hear how that sounds through a mic

Thanks for all the crits guys!
Godver, een mede belg !

Fantastisch gespeeld & gezongen, clean geluid en geen accent te horen
Wat studeer je in hasselt?
Haha, danku!

Ik studeer geneeskunde... mijn bachelor is daar nu wel afgelopen dus volgend jaar verhuis ik naar Leuven voor de master, nog 4 jaar dus. En gij?

But let's maybe take this discussion to the profiles, so we don't clog up this thread with Dutch ramblings cheers everyone!
I just commented and rated, on your profile. But I thought I'd say it here as well, your covers just keep getting better, and your originals are awesome as well. Keep up the excellent work, my friend