Hey guys. I've been playing guitar for about 5 years, very on and off. I started playing properly, an hour or two a day about a year ago. Also, I'm 15 years old.

Recently I have been trying to get better at guitar but I just can't seem to improve much. I'm wondering whats hindering my progress and I've come up with the following possibilities:

a) I just have reached a limit of what I can do. I am improving but it seems to be very slowly...I think this is unlikely but still a possibility.

b) I'm playing too much of the same thing. All I really play is metal and classic rock on my electric and soft rock on my acoustic. Could this be slowing my progress?

c) I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I'm holding the pick wrong or my picking technique is wrong.

My main priorities are to learn to sweep-pick, improve my accuracy and speed and make my playing more fluid and smooth. Anyone got any ideas I could use to try get better?

Thanks a lot guys.
Quote by Ruination
I do genuinely love her, and not just because I like her breasts you know?
Well you see, if you keep walking into walls. You're not going to have enough time to improve at guitar.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by padgea7x
Well you see, if you keep walking into walls. You're not going to have enough time to improve at guitar.

This.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by padgea7x

Who said I was walking into walls?
Quote by Ruination
I do genuinely love her, and not just because I like her breasts you know?
1) Take your guitar down to the crossraods at midnight
2) Have Satan tune it up for you
3) Become awesome
4) Die young
Well first off make sure you practice in an open area where you're unlikely to walk into walls, that's a good start.

Seriously though, just branch out your musical tastes, maybe learn some different styles (fingerpicking, hybrid picking, slide etc) and try to enjoy it rather than feel that you have to improve every time you play.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.