Hello everyone,

I'm an intermediate level electric guitarist from London, UK. When I began playing guitar I bought something cheap but I have now outgrown and I'm in the process of looking for a new one. I play mostly hard rock and metal and keep my guitar in CGCFAD or DGCFAD tuning mostly, but am looking for a guitar which can easily and reliably be tuned to Standard or Drop B tuning. At the moment, I'm torn between the Ibanez GRG170DXL and the Peavey Predator Plus EXP. Originally I had decided on the Ibanez due to it's sleek design, but on reading reviews I found that the FAT10 bridge causes various problems in terms of tuning. Is this true and if so, what specifically do these problems consist of? Does the Predator also have any glaring problems? And finally, which of these guitars would best suit my needs?
I think that if you plan to switch between D tunning and drop C, buy the peavey because the GRX170 has crappy tunners, the bridge isnt something fantastic. Peavey on the other hand has some sort of a floyd rose, so it should hold on to a tunning easy, but i´m not so sure if you can just change the tune of the sixth string since the hight of your floyd rose migh decrease and **** up the rest of the strings
If you drop your low E down to D on a floyd, it will make all your other strings go out of tune, because the string tension changes, and the spring tensions changes to compensate

you'll have this problem with both of the guitars you mentioned. If you wanted to tune down to D or even drop-d, you'll have to re-adjust the spring tension. But this can be solved for both guitars by simply blocking the tremolo.

Out of the two you mentioned, I would go with the Ibanez. The most obvious advantage over the Peavey is that it has a middle pickup between the neck and bridge. I've never had a complaint about the stock tuners, they're no Grovers, but if you know how to string your guitar correctly you shouldn't have a problem.
I have a grg170 and I would not suggest it for you.

It's a great guitar for beginners, but it would not suit you very well. The bridge is pretty ok, for the price, actually unless you change your tuning. Then it just becomes a pain in the ass to set it up right.
Quote by argentotenebre
If you drop your low E down to D on a floyd, it will make all your other strings go out of tune, because the string tension changes, and the spring tensions changes to compensate

you'll have this problem with both of the guitars you mentioned. If you wanted to tune down to D or even drop-d, you'll have to re-adjust the spring tension. But this can be solved for both guitars by simply blocking the tremolo.

Out of the two you mentioned, I would go with the Ibanez. The most obvious advantage over the Peavey is that it has a middle pickup between the neck and bridge. I've never had a complaint about the stock tuners, they're no Grovers, but if you know how to string your guitar correctly you shouldn't have a problem.

Thanks argentotenebre. How would I go about blocking the tremolo and how would this affect the guitar in question?
These guitars won't be much of an upgrade over a cheap guitar. How much are you willing to spend?