I learned bare chord shapes when sitting down
I'm getting pretty fluent switching from one shape to the other up and down the neck, the problem is I learned it sitting down
when I stand up and try to play them my wrist is bent to much, kinda painfull after 5 minutes I'm not sure if I should adjust the strap and have the guitar higher or just perfect the technique
I have small hands so it's kinda hard playing bare chords with my wrist straight, and sound clean without buzz

Great Guitar Btw! when doing your barre chord, try, where you are using your ring and pinky, just lay your pinky across those two strings.

This MAY help free up the tension on the tendon that ties your ring and middle finger together.
Last edited by charles_ebarb at Aug 8, 2010,
It comes with practice. There's no shortcut. Lots of practice. You just have to keep at it. Play barre chords for a few hours a day and soon enough you'll have all your problems sorted.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
You could try to put the palm of your hand against the neck. Then you wrist is bent the other way. But the best way is just do them a lot and strengten the muscle
Shorten your strap and wear your guitar a bit higher if it hurts.

Dont listen to anybody who says "HURR DURR PLAYING YOUR GUITAR THAT HIGH IS GAY WOLOLO", its much better to wear it higher than to risk getting carpal tunnel syndrome in your wrists.

I personally find playing faster easier too when its higher up.
Dude I think your technique is good..just position your guitar higher then it will all be fine..no need to play it very low
Quote by charles_ebarb
Great Guitar Btw! when doing your barre chord, try, where you are using your ring and pinky, just lay your pinky across those two strings.

This MAY help free up the tension on the tendon that ties your ring and middle finger together.

god, NO!
Quote by mishax92
Shorten your strap and wear your guitar a bit higher if it hurts.

Dont listen to anybody who says "HURR DURR PLAYING YOUR GUITAR THAT HIGH IS GAY WOLOLO", its much better to wear it higher than to risk getting carpal tunnel syndrome in your wrists.

I personally find playing faster easier too when its higher up.

I noticed that some great players like Chuck Shuldiner wore the guitar high
carpal tunnel syndrome is scary ...it's actually the first time I heard about it
thanks man
Quote by JohnnySolo
You could try to put the palm of your hand against the neck. Then you wrist is bent the other way. But the best way is just do them a lot and strengten the muscle

I tried this and it actually releases the tension from my wrist
so I think I have to come up with a combination of all suggestions posted here
your technique is fine.

You need to lift the neck an inch or two. This can be but is not necessarily the same as raising your whole guitar. Easiest to raise the strap an inch or so but alo try raising the neck (easiest to get used to if you also practice sitting).

A raised neck gives you much more flexibility in your left wrist and thus much less strain, tiredness. Easier for both bar chords and just enjoying the time playing.
(borrow from classical nylon string position).
Last edited by Raptorfingers at Aug 8, 2010,
there`s no problem with the position of the guitar, you`ve probably the fact that you skipped the stretching arm, and wrist section of a proper warm up, and you could be clamping down too hard to make the barre.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
there`s no problem with the position of the guitar, you`ve probably the fact that you skipped the stretching arm, and wrist section of a proper warm up, and you could be clamping down too hard to make the barre.

yes I was clamping hard when I played unplugged but now I do it with headphones on
Quote by charles_ebarb

not a good idea.

its much harder to get the certain notes you want to ring out when doing this. only barre the pointer finger, use individual fingers for each other note.
I have your same exact problem, my wrist was bent like that when standing up, and hurt after a while. I've kinda adjusted my technique so my wrist is now straight but my fingers from the first knuckle are bent like 90 degrees. Does that make any sense? Definitely not as much strength as when I'm sitting, but I figure I just need to build more strength in my index finger. And it doesn't hurt at all this way, it's just weaker.
Quote by Raptorfingers
your technique is fine.

You need to lift the neck an inch or two. This can be but is not necessarily the same as raising your whole guitar. Easiest to raise the strap an inch or so but alo try raising the neck (easiest to get used to if you also practice sitting).

A raised neck gives you much more flexibility in your left wrist and thus much less strain, tiredness. Easier for both bar chords and just enjoying the time playing.
(borrow from classical nylon string position).

This.
if its a 6 string barre then try to get the bottom e string with ur thumb over the top.
i try to get up in the mornings

Gear
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox Valvetronix
Falcon FG100
Quote by MitchellAJones
if its a 6 string barre then try to get the bottom e string with ur thumb over the top.

My hand is too small for that
Sit down with your guitar in normal sitting position. Put your strap on. Shorten strap so it tightens round you without moving the guitar. Now stand up. This is how your guitar strap should be. You're not slinging it ridiculously low but if you're struggling with standing you need to place the guitar as close to sitting position as possible.
Quote by GilbertsPinky
Sit down with your guitar in normal sitting position. Put your strap on. Shorten strap so it tightens round you without moving the guitar. Now stand up. This is how your guitar strap should be. You're not slinging it ridiculously low but if you're struggling with standing you need to place the guitar as close to sitting position as possible.

if you are using that method for adjusting the strap length it`s best to sit in the classical position, that way the neck will sit at a better angle when you standup..
Quote by ibanezgod1973
if you are using that method for adjusting the strap length it`s best to sit in the classical position, that way the neck will sit at a better angle when you standup..

+1

My bad, by normal i meant however you usually sit with it, but classical position would be better.
You have two clear options:

1. Raise the neck of the guitar higher like suggested

2. Lower your guitar a bit and wrap your hand around the neck with your thumb over the top. Your hand is definitely not too small, it just takes a lot of practice. Also the guitar is too high for that style. If your going to try thumb over the top you need to lower it to be more "strait across the waist". This is how I prefer to play as it leads to your pinky being free'd for "pinky time". Also you are right in position to play lead, but understand you would play lead with your thumb over the top still for the most part.

Both ways take lots of practice, but you can nail either you wish. I would learn both. That hand is too small crap is reserved for nubs.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by guitar nubsauce
Both ways take lots of practice, but you can nail either you wish. I would learn both. That hand is too small crap is reserved for nubs.

Wrong.

Some things are impossible with small hands.