Hi guys, recently I was kinda wondering what part of my gear I should be upgrading, and while I was mentioning getting a new guitar, I had people reacting about my amp.

This made me question my aquisition and also why they were doing that. Did they test the amp ? Or did they only see the price tag ? I know the laney cub 10 is not a high end amp, but I think it's a decent tube amp, and the tone I get is pretty good. It may not be perfect for basses because of the 10 inches cabinet but it's still okay. And I get really good cleans out of it and I wouldn't really need higher wattage since I don't plan on gigging.
The only thing it kind of lacks is that it doesn't go into overdrive that well, actually it gets allmost painfully loud and stays relatively clean. But since I use my biff muff when I want to sound heavier, it's not that much of a problem.

Of course I think I could get a better tone with an orange tiny terror stack with 1x12 cab, and if I ever wanted to do a small gig, I could get a bigger cab and that should do the trick... And on the other hand with the 7 watt switch, it would be perfect for bedroom play etc. Plus I really think this amp would be perfect for the kind of music I like (Some classic Rock/Hard-rock, Grunge, Alternative, bits of blues, Queens Of the stone age, Eagles of death metal, and allmost no metal at all)... But is it really worth spending three times as much money as I spent for my cub 10 ?

I don't plan on buying a new amp really soon, but since I don't need any new effects, and the next guitar I would buy will probably be over 1k $, if I get any benefit from it, the amp is quite likely the next thing I'll change.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Quote by Doogy-Style
Hi guys, recently I was kinda wondering what part of my gear I should be upgrading, and while I was mentioning getting a new guitar, I had people reacting about my amp.

This made me question my aquisition and also why they were doing that. Did they test the amp ? Or did they only see the price tag ? I know the laney cub 10 is not a high end amp, but I think it's a decent tube amp, and the tone I get is pretty good. It may not be perfect for basses because of the 10 inches cabinet but it's still okay. And I get really good cleans out of it and I wouldn't really need higher wattage since I don't plan on gigging.
The only thing it kind of lacks is that it doesn't go into overdrive that well, actually it gets allmost painfully loud and stays relatively clean. But since I use my biff muff when I want to sound heavier, it's not that much of a problem.

Of course I think I could get a better tone with an orange tiny terror stack with 1x12 cab, and if I ever wanted to do a small gig, I could get a bigger cab and that should do the trick... And on the other hand with the 7 watt switch, it would be perfect for bedroom play etc. Plus I really think this amp would be perfect for the kind of music I like (Some classic Rock/Hard-rock, Grunge, Alternative, bits of blues, Queens Of the stone age, Eagles of death metal, and allmost no metal at all)... But is it really worth spending three times as much money as I spent for my cub 10 ?

I don't plan on buying a new amp really soon, but since I don't need any new effects, and the next guitar I would buy will probably be over 1k $, if I get any benefit from it, the amp is quite likely the next thing I'll change.

is there a question here? i dont get it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
they might just be saying to get more power for if you do gig or even join a band. You'll need power and you'll definately need to get louder than your drummer (no offense to any drummers who might read this)
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Quote by haz_uk
yea, you obviously missed the question mark.

no i didn't. his "question" is just a rhetorical rant about how much he likes his amp, and hates that some random guys on the internet suggested he upgrade it.

if ts doesn't want to upgrade, then he shouldnt.

what's the issue?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Doogy-Style
Of course I think I could get a better tone with an orange tiny terror stack with 1x12 cab, and if I ever wanted to do a small gig, I could get a bigger cab and that should do the trick...

NO.

More speakers =/= more volume. The reason why people get stacks is because they like to use particular speakers, like Greenbacks, that have particular tonal characteristics. However, these speakers lack the power handing to cope with 100W, so by sharing this over four of them, you get the tonal characteristics of the speaker without destroying them. For such a 'small' amp, you do not need a bigger cab, if all you want it for is more volume.

Honestly dude, quit your fcuking whinging.

(Well actually more speaker surface area does mean more volume, but not much!)
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
NO.

More speakers =/= more volume. The reason why people get stacks is because they like to use particular speakers, like Greenbacks, that have particular tonal characteristics. However, these speakers lack the power handing to cope with 100W, so by sharing this over four of them, you get the tonal characteristics of the speaker without destroying them. For such a 'small' amp, you do not need a bigger cab, if all you want it for is more volume.

I agree, though I got a halfstack for better sound dispersion.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Quote by 100%
they might just be saying to get more power for if you do gig or even join a band. You'll need power and you'll definately need to get louder than your drummer (no offense to any drummers who might read this)

Quote by seemeel
NO.

Try to give advice without being rude or offensive
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by seemeel
NO.

Did you honnestly not understand my question or is it just so important for you to be right on the internet ? Either way it's kind of sad... Plus I never said I planned on being louder with a bigger cab, just that from what I know bigger/more cabs is better for basses, which can be cool depending on what I play. There are stuff in C standard etc that my current 10 inches combo can't do. And since I know a site where the stack with 1x12 is only 30 euros more than the combo, why should I go for the combo ?

And at jj1565, no my question was not only rethorical, sorry if it sounded like that, I really meant it. I wanted to know if another low wattage tube amp can be so much better than my current one. Cause when I was talking of maybe later getting a higher end guitar, I got people flaming me, telling that I should get a better amp before without explaining anything.

So my question is, if I don't really plan to do any gigs, and all I want is an amp that sounds good for what I play, is another low wattage amp worth it ? I think that the tiny terror would be good choice for what I play (except for the price)... but does anyone who has played this amp or another high end small tube amp tell me if this is worth the "sacrifice".
Because getting a 650 euro amp is quite difficult when you're a student.

Edit: I realize that the title of the thread can be missleading though...
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Last edited by Doogy-Style at Aug 8, 2010,
Jet City JCA20.

/thread
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Is the jet City that good for what I wanna play ? Plus I'm kinda scared 20 watts would be too loud, that's why I was planning the tiny terror seemed interesting with its 7 watt switch...

Could you at least develop why you're advising me to get this amp ?
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Quote by Doogy-Style
Is the jet City that good for what I wanna play ? Plus I'm kinda scared 20 watts would be too loud, that's why I was planning the tiny terror seemed interesting with its 7 watt switch...

Could you at least develop why you're advising me to get this amp ?

The JCA would literally be perfect for those tones.

20w is really not that much louder than 7w, 20w is only twice as loud as 2w. It has a volume knob on it and that's what it's there for, to control the volume. This is probably the best sounding amp I've owned at low volumes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
jca20

because matrixclaw owns one and won't even send it to russia

/thread.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by MatrixClaw
The JCA would literally be perfect for those tones.

20w is really not that much louder than 7w, 20w is only twice as loud as 2w. It has a volume knob on it and that's what it's there for, to control the volume. This is probably the best sounding amp I've owned at low volumes.

No Blackstar love eh? I almost bought the Jet City before I splurged on the Blackstar. It had more gain (nice enough clean channel too).
Okay thanks, maybe there's somewhere I'll be able to try both these amps. It's kind of a tough choice since it seems I could get both for relatively similar prices (cause I can get a good price for the orange bundle).

Anyway I have a lot of time to decide what I'm gonna do .

Anyone else feels like helping me ?
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
7 watts is gonna be way too loud for (normal) bedroom use, if you're planning on cranking it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
7 watts is gonna be way too loud for (normal) bedroom use, if you're planning on cranking it.

Actually I play in my basement most of the time so I'm not really bothering anyone... the only thing I'm concerned about is me getting deaf ^^.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Quote by Doogy-Style
Actually I play in my basement most of the time so I'm not really bothering anyone... the only thing I'm concerned about is me getting deaf ^^.

You won't go deaf @_@. Wear ear plugs.

JCA20 combo would be great, single channel though.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Darkflame
my sarcasm detector is broken, i can't tell if this is serious

Don't take anything I say seriously.

But honestly, be happy with what you have. If YOU don't like your amp, buy a new one. If someone else doesn't like your amp, don't let them change your attitude towards it. You got that amp because it was what you wanted at some point in time, right? Tell the haters to **** off and live their own lives.
Quote by Doogy-Style

well i mean unless you're using earplugs, there is the chance of that with 7 watts. how loud is your cub 10? if it's too loud the TT is going to be too loud (assuming you're planning on cranking it).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah if I crank my cub 10 it's allready damn loud. The few times I did I had to use earplugs. That's why most of the time I'm lazy and just turn my big muff on with tone off to get some kind of overdrive, with the volume low on the pedal.

That's the reason why I know I surely don't need more watts ^^.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Are you actually in a band? Because, afaik the Laney Cub's aren't bad amps by any means. 10W will be a little underpowered for gigging sure but I can't tell if you're in a band or not from the thread.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I think the orange would be great for what you're looking to play, and the head version would allow you to match up with a 2x12 if you want more bass. And if you play in C, you are most definitely going to want more bass than what a 10" speaker is going to get you.

As for the people telling you to upgrade your amp, I agree. It doesn't really make sense to stick with a little 10" combo, even if it is a tube amp, and have a really nice guitar. You aren't going to get the most out of your investment.

I would agree with Matrixclaw on this one, and say go for the Jet City. It can do what you want to play, it's 20W, has a head version, and is quite a bit cheaper than the Orange. If you're a student, this should matter to you.
Don't limit yourself to a smaller amp merely because of volume levels, feel free to venture out of your comfort zone a bit. I played with a VK212, which is 100 watts of ear-shattering tube volume and never turned it up past 1. That didn't stop me from dialing in some amazing tones at a reasonable level. Plus, if you ever do start playing in a band, you are going to be grateful for the extra volume/headroom.

It's something to think about
It's true I didn't mention it, but no, I'm not in a band. I just Jam a bit sometimes with some of my friends, but nothing too serious, none of us are actually good musicians. And I'm not gonna get the money I would need to change my amp anytime soon.

But I know soon or late I'll want to upgrade my gear so I'm allready getting informations, especially since where I leave, not everything is easily available and especially not for cheap... this way I have a chance to check where I might get what I need from, and at what price.

Anyway, thanks to everybody who has been trying to be helpful sofar .
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Well if you can find/afford it, a used Orange Rocker 30 would be awesome. Great tone and perfect for a band if you ever need it. But try keep hold of the Cub because the R30 is a loud SOB.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Doogy-Style
Yeah if I crank my cub 10 it's allready damn loud. The few times I did I had to use earplugs. That's why most of the time I'm lazy and just turn my big muff on with tone off to get some kind of overdrive, with the volume low on the pedal.

That's the reason why I know I surely don't need more watts ^^.

indeed, but a couple of fewer watts will be similarly loud, wattage isn't linear.

best bet is something with powerscaling/VVR built-in (if you like powertube distortion), or just something higher in wattage with more preamp gain and a good master volume.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?