was jamming wth the guitar, and due to fatherly complaints of noise, opted to use a Line 6 POD UX1 loaned from a friend. everythin was sounding cool as i messed around with effects and presets etc, then eventually decided screw it, and plugged into my amp. i noticed that when i done this, my sound was much more sloppy. does a POD or any similar piece of kit clean up your play ? none of that unwanted string brushing noise etc was audible thru it, or as audible at least, if you know what i mean.

if this is the case, one would assume practising thru a pod is totally inefficient as you dont learn how control your axe correctly. any one else got any opinions on this?
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
well, i've found that modellers tend to distort unrealistically evenly, as in they don't really follow your playing dynamics. because it's just a mathematical algorythm applied to the sound coming in. they usually won't factor in the volume of the instrument (not sure about pod, but w/e). real amps aren't math though, it's physical voltage distorting a preamp circuit, so, it will respond to everything that comes through it. that's why i found that my playing got better after i switched to a good tube amp.

tl;dr physics is better than math

IMO
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Last edited by viper_mike at Aug 8, 2010,
i still sound like shit trough my pod, so i guess not
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Pretty much every POD Farm preset uses a noise gate, which would reduce a lot of unwanted string noise.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
It sounds like your POD suppresses a lot of bad string noise. Personally, I prefer to learn how to do that myself, TS. Ya know, by practicing.
Quote by Das_Skittles
Pretty much every POD Farm preset uses a noise gate, which would reduce a lot of unwanted string noise.

Then wouldnt it kill the noise going into the amp?
Quote by mcamp1230
Then wouldnt it kill the noise going into the amp?

no, he wasn't using the pod with his amp, he decided to just get rid of the pod and use the amp.
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Quote by viper_mike
well, i've found that modellers tend to distort unrealistically evenly, as in they don't really follow your playing dynamics. because it's just a mathematical algorythm applied to the sound coming in. they usually won't factor in the volume of the instrument (not sure about pod, but w/e). real amps aren't math though, it's physical voltage distorting a preamp circuit, so, it will respond to everything that comes through it. that's why i found that my playing got better after i switched to a good tube amp.

IMO

+1, This is why I stopped using diital stuff a few years ago. They just didnt sound real to me
Quote by viper_mike
no, he wasn't using the pod with his amp, he decided to just get rid of the pod and use the amp.

Yeah, I didnt read it right
Operator error.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by viper_mike

IMO

this is full of half truths and some of it is flat out wrong.

to start, physics is basicly applied math. you can mathematically model a tube, but doing so accurately is very tough. ive heard of companies using lookup tables combined with algorithms to try to get a more realistic model. problem is that tubes are non-linear in the range that we care about (for guitars i mean). this makes it hard to model that edge of breakup sound that so many of us love. not impossible, but difficult.

as for not following picking dynamics, most modellers will react to volume. sure, the crappy ones wont, but you cant judge all modellers by the bottom of the barrel ones. heck, there are even free amp sims out there that sound excellent, if you know how to use them.

anyway, the issue is probably more due to the noise gate on the model, as previously mentioned. it will kill a lot of the unwanted noise. i find noise gates annoying myself, they can do a lot more to kill dynamics than a cheap amp sim. yes i know they are good when set up right, but if you dont need one, i wouldnt use one.
I've got a UX1 and had pretty much the same problem until I realised that the universal noise gate was on by default. Clicked that off and haven't had a problem since.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The only thing i find noisegates useful for are rythm track where you need complete silence at pauses during recording, in all honesty they do rob you of dynamics a bit.
my X3 Live (played into the computer) shows every damn mistake i make. i dunno what you're talking about man..
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by conor1148
my X3 Live (played into the computer) shows every damn mistake i make. i dunno what you're talking about man..
The X3 Live is part of the standard Pod range, the UX1 is part of the POD Studio range and uses the POD Farm for its tones exclusively. There is quite a difference in their uses.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I think the term "lie" is wrongly used. As others have said it sounds like noise suppression.

I guess when youre practicing its not good to have noise suppression so that you hear all the mistakes/nuances but tbh, when im practicing i always have my ISP decimator on and i still hear all my mistakes so yeah.
working with a modeling unit such as the pod is tough since every amp you plug it into is going to sounds different. Some amps handle pedals well, some don't. And since some sounds different, different models will probably sound better or worse depending on what its going through.

and yeah a good noise gate would help things a bit
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
^ did you read the thread? the idea is to turn the noise gate off....
also, the ux1 is a computer interface, there is no amp involved.
most likely has a noise gate. however, most likely anything like plaything through a modeled POD like thing wont sound as real a using the equipment it is modeling.
Quote by jof1029
^ did you read the thread? the idea is to turn the noise gate off....
also, the ux1 is a computer interface, there is no amp involved.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.