Sup everyone,

Considering I'm getting myself a 6505+ 112 combo, I was thinking of getting myself a Tubescreamer for the better highs it gives. The thing is though, I'm not quite sure whether the TS-9DX is necessary and worth the extra 20 euros it costs.

Does anyone have a good example to show how much extra the pedal would have to offer when playing with high-gain amplifiers?

Thanks in advance,
ItWillDo

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

I use a Maxon OD808 with great success. Let me give you one tip, get an EQ (I use a Boss GE7) and put it in the loop before you even turn it on for the first time. It does amazing things to that amp. In fact, they should just charge more and put an EQ in the box, that's how important it is for this amp. I wouldn't even play the amp without that. It will give you earpiercing highs (major treble/presense) if that's what your looking for.
Quote by Flash Nightmare
I use a Maxon OD808 with great success. Let me give you one tip, get an EQ (I use a Boss GE7) and put it in the loop before you even turn it on for the first time. It does amazing things to that amp. In fact, they should just charge more and put an EQ in the box, that's how important it is for this amp. I wouldn't even play the amp without that. It will give you earpiercing highs (major treble/presense) if that's what your looking for.

Thanks for the reply man. I was thinking about getting an EQ and this certainly convinced me.

Btw, how great is the difference between an Ibanez TS-9 and a Maxon OD-9?

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Quote by ItWillDo
Thanks for the reply man. I was thinking about getting an EQ and this certainly convinced me.

Btw, how great is the difference between an Ibanez TS-9 and a Maxon OD-9?

I have never used a TS-9 with my amp so I don't know the answer to that.
But I really dig what the Maxon OD808 does for it. And I can't say enough about adding an EQ in the loop of this amp will do for it. It's like a whole different KILLER sounding amp. Kinda like taking a blanket off of it. In fact, I've never heard such a big difference in tone than I did by putting an EQ in the loop of the 1X12 combo. It was *shocking* to hear the difference. You'll never play with it off. Watch.
I have the ts9dx and I never take it off the standard ts9 setting. The other settings simply add a little mush and glassiness (if that makes sense) almost giving it a muff sound combined with a more marshally type of gain, but just doesn't sound good for what I want.

Go with just the ts9 or maxon od9 if you just want to boost your gain and not colour it too much.

EDIT: You may ask why I got the ts9dx if I only like the ts9 setting... well it was on sale for $70
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Last edited by mrxtreme_4 at Aug 8, 2010,
The TS9DX's other settings add bass and reduce output/gain. Not exactly what you want for a metal boost. Just stick with the TS9 or even better, a TS7 to save the money. They're for all practical purposes the same circuit. The 3 circuit differences don't matter at all when used as a boost and the difference is very subtle when used on it's own.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs