I read the suggested links thread, and nothing seemed to match this. If there's already someplace for this, please point me in the right direction.

Anyways! What I wanna do is sand down my guitar, and paint it a different color. I also want to put in to pick-ups. I've never done anything like this before, and I really don't wanna **** up my guitar. SO I gots a few questions.

What kind of paint would I use? Is there a certain way to paint guitars? I've read a lot about staining? Is this essential to painting my guitar?

And for putting it back together with the pickups. How easy is putting in new pick-ups? Do you think someone with no experience in these kind of things (me) could do it after reading up about it? This is my only guitar currently, do if I **** up I'm really screwed...

I hope this is in the right place! And that you all can help!
As far as changing pickups go, it's fairly simple. Assuming you have a soldering iron, I'm sure you can learn. Maybe go buy a cheap spool of wire, and practice soldering the wires together. Someone else who knows better can probably recommend you the correct solder to buy. And wiring diagrams are easy to come by.

Painting/Staining, again can be a fairly simple process. They are different things however, and which one you do is up to what you are going for. Staining allows the natural grain of the wood to show through, and painting covers it up. Staining is probably a bit easier than painting. Both are pretty easy however. Getting that mirror-like, shiny finish can be difficult, but not impossible.

So, what guitar do you have, and what look are you going for?
Gear:
Schecter Revenger 7-String
Bugera V5
MXR 10-Band EQ
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2
Digitech Bad Monkey
Crybaby Wah
Digitech Hardwire Stereo Chorus
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply! I do own a soldering iron, not sure why. :P Would a 'wiring diagram" show em where to solder? I'm still kind of confused.

Oh! I thought it was part of one process. :P I have an Ibanez RG120, which is currently painted red. (not stained, going by your description) I've had it for about 3 years, and I figure since I'm more serious about guitar, I should make it a color I can actually look at. A really light shade of blue. (something like this http://www.debbiedavies.com/images/gear/baby_blue_2.jpg)

I also want to make a pickguard. Which I forgot to mention. RG120's don't have pickguard originally, and I can't seem to find a place to buy one that would fit the shape. Is there a certain material to make it from, or could I just use whatever? Also, how would I go about getting the shape right? I've read on here that people "trace" the shape, how would I do that?

Sorry for so many questions, I just wanna get everything right. :P
Well, let's start with the pick guard situation. You are going to want to order one of these sheets, which are just thick plastic rectangles. If you want to finish your guitar like that strat, you are going to want to get the tortise shell one. Then, draw your shape onto a piece of paper, and cut it out. Then, trace that onto the uncut pick guard. Then use something like a scroll saw or other low-speed, sharp saw, to cut out the shape. Finish the edges using fine-grit sand paper. When you want to screw it to the guitar, make sure you pre-drill the holes with a very sharp drill bit, so the plastic doesn't crack.

You are also correct in assuming that you are going to want to paint the guitar if you want that finish. I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials floating around, but I'll tell you the general idea. You want to take off the neck and all of the hardware. Tape off the neck cavity so that you don't alter its size. Take a sanding block with low-grit paper, and wear down the current paint. You don't have to take it to wood, just rough it up enough to give the primer something to stick to.

Then what I do is go to an automotive paint store, and buy high quality rattle can paint and primer. White primer if you are painting a light color, black if you are painting a dark color. Hang your guitar on something so that you can access all points of it. In incredibly light coats, start applying primer. Take your time, etc. Wet sand with incredibly fine sand paper whenever you get bubbles/runs. Once the whole thing is covered in primer, repeat the process with the color, but make sure it has a lot of coats. Once that is done, repeat the process again with a clear coat. Once the clear coat cures (which takes a while), you can buy a buffer and a rubbing compound and take it to a really high shine.

And to ease any worries about price, it's actually a fairly cheap process. Maybe $20 on paint/primer/clear coat, $10 for your pick guard, and $10 on sand paper. Also, don't forget to order these. They come in black and gold, too.
Gear:
Bugera V5
MXR 10-Band EQ
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2
Digitech Bad Monkey
Crybaby Wah
Last edited by Sh3pherd at Aug 8, 2010,
Sorry for the late reply. Busy day.

Anyways! I'm not really modeling after the guitar I showed, that's just what came up when I typed in "Baby blue guitar" but I see that the website has a bunch of different materials, so thanks!

As for sanding, would an electric sanding disc be able to do the same thing? Or would sanding it by hand be a better choice? And, I DON'T have to completely remove the current paint?

Also, is there a certain type of spray-paint I would need? I know there are a few different types and such. A brand you suggest, maybe?
Well, first I would suggest:

The Ultimate Guitar Wiring Thread

and

The Ultimate Painting and Refinishing Thread

And I don't know much about refinishing either, but as for wiring, there are links to the Seymour duncan site in the wiring thread, and they have a multitude of common wiring diagrams, and if you don't see what you need, just ask there.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
No, you don't have to take it to bare wood. And honestly, any spray paint would work, but you get what you pay for. I'm not saying pay $20 for 1 can, but I'm not saying spend $2 either.
Gear:
Bugera V5
MXR 10-Band EQ
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2
Digitech Bad Monkey
Crybaby Wah
Thanks Monkey! I completely missed the wiring thread, but a lot of the links are dead in the painting thread, so I just disregarded in my initial search, but I'll have to look through it.

And thanks again Sh3pherd! I went to a paint store around here today and looked at some spray paint, the guy behind the counter was just a cashier, so he didn't know much, but I'll have to ask someone there about a good paint for wood I guess.

Also, I looked through the important threads, but couldn't really find a place for this. I think I want to get a new neck as well, because the one I have now seems to have rot on the back. (I'll post pics once I find my freakin' camera...) I don't have the equipment or the resources to build one, so I think getting a new one would be best. Is there a certain site that would be best for this? I googled "guitar necks" but quite a few sites came up, so I'm not really sure. Could I just get rid of the rot somehow? They've become pretty noticeable holes from playing and my hands rubbing over them I guess, and it's at the point where they'll catch my hand and slow me down during playing.