how much time is too long to leave your guitar without strings on it?

A guitar repair shop was gonna fit a new pair of tuners to my les paul ( to save me drilling the holes and screwing up a nice guitar), but want a £20 re stringing fee, even if I give them the strings, on top of the £20 for fitting the tuners.

was gonna string it myself, but would that damage the neck because I'd have to wait till I got my guitar back?
Personally I wouldn't wait any longer than a day.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
The lack of tension will slowly warp the neck backwards. I wouldn't pay to have someone string my guitars or basses. Ever.

How long? It depends on the guitar. What the neck is made out of... the radius, thickness, finish, bolt on/neck thru, what gauge strings the guitar has used. Damage etc.... if it's more than a few days it should be fine after you put string back on. More than a week.... you miiiight have to adjust the truss rod. I take all my strings off my basses often and do a complete re-setup, so I don't mind messing with the truss rod.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Last edited by CLIFF_BURTON at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
The lack of tension will slowly warp the neck backwards.
*bow

If you're using light gauge strings, I wouldn't worry about it much. If you're using something heavy like 13-56 your trussrod will have a lot more of tension on it. In that case I'd mark the trussrod and loosen it about a turn with the strings off, then tighten it (almost) that much when you put the strings back on. Give it a day to settle in, then adjust the trussrod to get the proper relief.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I have 2 guitar necks to the left of me, that have been off since new. Both Tele necks.
Probably haven't bowed yet, 'cause there was never any tension in the first place.

Your getting ripped of by the way. A restringing for a Floyd for me was only 8 dollars. And that was just for the strings!
The Setup and retringing was 8 dollars total, but setup was included with the guitar(Guitar was new)

So my point is:
Make friends with the managers, owners and employees of your local store.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by gary1991
how much time is too long to leave your guitar without strings on it?

A guitar repair shop was gonna fit a new pair of tuners to my les paul ( to save me drilling the holes and screwing up a nice guitar), but want a £20 re stringing fee, even if I give them the strings, on top of the £20 for fitting the tuners.

was gonna string it myself, but would that damage the neck because I'd have to wait till I got my guitar back?

See if they will meet you half way. Say £30 to fit the tuners and re-string if you provide the strings.

It's still money, (they have to make money some how) but it is a compromise. If not, tell them to poke it.

So they want £20 to fit the tuners.
£20 to fit your strings.
How much for the tuners (what tuners) what Les Paul is it, Epiphone?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Aug 8, 2010,
If you loosen the trussrod then you can leave the strings off for a very very long time. If you don't loosen the trussrod then you are still safe for a couple days or more.