SO, I have recently put in a set of emgs in my Les Paul copy . I got them used and with no harness . for a little while there I just had them running off of the stock pots and a stereo jack and worked fine ,quite at least . it was pretty on or off when turning the pots . two days ago I bought the correct harness that comes with these emgs when buying new . Did as per instructed and now there's a bad hum sound that goes away when my palm is resting on a string and touching the pickup . if I just touch the pickup ,nothing , no difference . still humming but if I touch either pickup and at the same time touching a string it goes away . the soldering is solid .every wire is where its supposed to be . What can I do to fix this . please help .
Does the buzzing go away when you touch any metal on the guitar? Like the tuners, jack plate, strings, bridge, etc. If that is the case, then it is absolutely a grounding problem. Can you post a wiring diagram as well as photos of the work you have done?
Gear:
Schecter Revenger 7-String
Bugera V5
MXR 10-Band EQ
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2
Digitech Bad Monkey
Crybaby Wah
Digitech Hardwire Stereo Chorus
Ground problem. Make sure everythings soldered right. Check for any loose cables.
..I was watching my death.
... does the humming go away if you just touch the bridge or strings without touching the pickup as well? if not then you need to ground the bridge. if it does go away when you touch the strings or any other metal on the guitar then everything is working right. if that's the case then maybe try shielding the cavity where all the wiring is... if it's already shielded or it does nothing then I have no idea.

oh yea, make sure you don't have any cold solder joints or anywhere the ground may not be making a good connection

of course, I'm not familiar with active pickups either. there may be a problem specific to actives that i don't know about.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by Sh3pherd
Does the buzzing go away when you touch any metal on the guitar? Like the tuners, jack plate, strings, bridge, etc. If that is the case, then it is absolutely a grounding problem. Can you post a wiring diagram as well as photos of the work you have done?

it does quite down a little when touching the vol/tone when the knobs r off .
I don't have a camera at the moment but if you look at the diagram for the emg install of 2 vol/ and 2 tones with either master that is exactly how its done but with one added ground loop from volume to volume . it was humming before I added that and did it in hopes to fix but didn't work out .
Last edited by cody29 at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by timbit2006
Ground problem. Make sure everythings soldered right. Check for any loose cables.

it is soldered solid ..
Quote by The4thHorsemen
... does the humming go away if you just touch the bridge or strings without touching the pickup as well? if not then you need to ground the bridge. if it does go away when you touch the strings or any other metal on the guitar then everything is working right. if that's the case then maybe try shielding the cavity where all the wiring is... if it's already shielded or it does nothing then I have no idea.

oh yea, make sure you don't have any cold solder joints or anywhere the ground may not be making a good connection

of course, I'm not familiar with active pickups either. there may be a problem specific to actives that i don't know about.

Well the instructions for the emgs state to leave the bridge ground off because it has its own internal grounding somewhere in the pickup but when this problem occered I did end up grounding the bridge ground to one of the pots after thinking that it is a grounding problem and when I did so it would quit humming when I touched the bridge or strings . seeing that it didn't help I reversed back to the original way to do it without the bridge ground .
Well I found out this morning when taking the Emgs off that if I move the 81 thats in the bridge position out of the cavity and off to the side ,still connected , the hum goes away. the neck emg is quite where it sits but when I put the bridge Emg back into the cavity it gets noisy again . how can I fix that . I swapped the neck and bridge pup's and found it has something to do with that bridge position . so what ever emg pickup that sits in the bridge is noisy . move it off to the side while still connected and it goes silent . PLEASE HELP .
when you say silent, is that no hum, or just completely silent? and I would say it may be a connection problem. Make sure the pins aren't wiggly, and the wires are good and connected.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Thanks to Everyone for all your help. I found out what is was . stupid me didn't think that when I was moving things around at the same time that all this went down I plugged both of my amps to a new outlet and that outlet was the problem . I switched outlets and BOOM,the problems gone . I tell you though grounding is a hell of a deal to chase . thanks again.
Last edited by cody29 at Aug 9, 2010,