Ibanez TBX150H

I know most here are already tube amp jackoffs, also adding the fact they absolutely loathe the Line 6 amp series, but I need a good alternative that won't cost me tons o' money. My dream rig had always been the Fireball 100W. However, the budget tells me it ain't ready for somethin that big. After giving the TBX's tone a few spins I got a bit interested. Hell, I guess it wouldn't hurt to get a distortion boost since the lack of money tells me I can't get a good tube amp, so Solid State it is..

Basically I'm asking if this would be a good head for my style (think Dark Angel's Leave Scars, oversaturated with distortion or at least a crispy crunchy sound). Somethin I could use for practice, at home, and small/medium club gigs. Pedal recommendations also welcome as well as cabinets/speakers.
Why so many misconceptions about tube amps. Just because you cant afford one doesn't make us jackoffs. There are plenty of budget tube amps out there and the used market is great.

And no, tubes won't cost you a shit ton of money. And no just because dimebag used ss it doesn't mean they're good.
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
Quote by sixstringedmatt
Why so many misconceptions about tube amps. Just because you cant afford one doesn't make us jackoffs. There are plenty of budget tube amps out there and the used market is great.

And no, tubes won't cost you a shit ton of money. And no just because dimebag used ss it doesn't mean they're good.

Well it HAS to be better than the Spider III I have. I like it, but..the distortion ain't doin' it for me. I honestly didn't know Dimebag used SS, Ibanez even, and so I'm just going based off what I hear from the demos and reviews on YT. If you can name used tube amps that are around 400-500 bucks that are loud enough and give me the tone I want, I'll lend you an ear. I've been seein alot of hate on the Line 6 and SS amps in general on this part of the forum at least and I'm gettin a little sick of it.
A jab in the eye with a sharp stick is better than a Spider. Being better than a Spider is hardly a recommendation. Starting off your thread by calling us all jackoffs because we use better amps than you is hardly the way to ask for advice.
Tubes have died in pretty much every form of device but guitar amps. Don't you think there is a reason for that? Or do you think that the majority of guitarists are jackoffs? Quite frankly I don't care if you are sick of people saying valve amps are best. You sir, are a douche.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
A jab in the eye with a sharp stick is better than a Spider. Being better than a Spider is hardly a recommendation. Starting off your thread by calling us all jackoffs because we use better amps than you is hardly the way to ask for advice.
Tubes have died in pretty much every form of device but guitar amps. Don't you think there is a reason for that? Or do you think that the majority of guitarists are jackoffs? Quite frankly I don't care if you are sick of people saying valve amps are best. You sir, are a douche.

The middle name is asshole, really.

But that aside I'm just looking for opinions and suggestions fer Christ sake. Almost everyone in this section whacks off to the tubes and alot of people can't even afford one especially in these times
Blackstar HT-5, Valveking, used Peavey 6505 combo, Mesa F-50(saw one on craigslist a couple of months ago for $600, I should of bought it).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but there are plenty of tube amps for $400-$500, new and used.
Quote by SadusAttack
The middle name is asshole, really.

But that aside I'm just looking for opinions and suggestions fer Christ sake. Almost everyone in this section whacks off to the tubes and alot of people can't even afford one especially in these times

Well there are HEAPS of good valve amps on the used market in your pricerange but if you think I'm going to help you now you must have an IQ on a par with your hat size.
I'm going to whack off to my valve amp now. Dipshit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The above post really nails it. Not familiar with that band you mention but if its metal a peavey 5150/6505 is a staple and one form or another of this amp will definitely do.
Oh don't get your dick in a bunch you assclown

Quote by sixstringedmatt
The above post really nails it. Not familiar with that band you mention but if its metal a peavey 5150/6505 is a staple and one form or another of this amp will definitely do.

Basically what I'm looking for is something really oversaturated with distortion..sorta like a Fireball 60/100W, but..not nearly as expensive
Quote by SadusAttack

I'm the assclown? I'm not the dickhead insulting people that he's asking advice from.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sadus, If you played the TBX and you enjoy its tone then it is the amp for you.

There is no one right or wrong with preference. Some people like tubes, some people like solid state. There always going to be those types of people who are too passionate about their opinions and often immediately assume that just because they don't particularly like something then its "wrong" or it "sucks".

Bottom line is, if YOU like something it doesn't matter what other people think. Enjoy whatever amp you choose and keep on rockin!

Best of luck.
Quote by SadusAttack
Well it HAS to be better than the Spider III I have. I like it, but..the distortion ain't doin' it for me.

I've been seein alot of hate on the Line 6 and SS amps in general on this part of the forum at least and I'm gettin a little sick of it.

Your getting sick of people saying its a bad amp, but you want to upgrade?
/rig
SadusAttack you are misinformed.

In the price range you seem to be looking at, no solid state amp is going to be any good. However if you look used you can get a good tube amp for that sort of money though. And this is why everyone here is a "tube amp jackoff" as you put it. Also tube amps are not as high maintenance as people think they are either.

I actually prefer the flat, rough-edged sound of a solid state in many situations, but i'm telling you, you're better off with a tube amp for that sort of money.

edit: Cathbard.. don't you think you're old enough to know better? your profile says "grumpy old tech" but you're behaving like a 14 year old in this thread.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by SadusAttack

Basically what I'm looking for is something really oversaturated with distortion..sorta like a Fireball 60/100W, but..not nearly as expensive

Wow, well done. You manage to insult a very knowledgeable regular who would have helped. Congrats.

I'll just say this. Step back, look at your damn attitude and take it back to YouTube's comments.

Also, the line 6 hate stops at the spider, the SS hare stops at oversized practice amps. Get a flextone used and remove your head from your ass.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by beckyjc

Well consider that he seemed to be saying "i want a tube amp but i can't afford one"...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
The peaveys I mentioned are extremely saturated with gain. Check out some YouTube clips and the site netmusicians and search the amps I listed. People also let you know other effects and cabs and what not that they use but you should get a general idea about how the amp sounds. Do you have a guitar center or samash near by?

We'll make a tube snob out of you too
Quote by sixstringedmatt
And no just because dimebag used ss it doesn't mean they're good.

No, because Suffocation used SS means they're good. If it's an Ampeg.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
No, because Suffocation used SS means they're good. If it's an Ampeg.

To be fair, pretty much anything Ampeg has ever made rocks.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by sixstringedmatt
The peaveys I mentioned are extremely saturated with gain. Check out some YouTube clips and the site netmusicians and search the amps I listed. People also let you know other effects and cabs and what not that they use but you should get a general idea about how the amp sounds. Do you have a guitar center or samash near by?

We'll make a tube snob out of you too

To be honest I never even heard of samash and the nearest GC is like..half an hour to 45 minutes. The closest guitar store is either a local place that's 10 minutes away and Guitar Factory..which..I'm pretty sure don't have any of the amps plugged in or won't let anyone play on them.
Quote by SadusAttack
I know most here are already tube amp jackoffs, also adding the fact they absolutely loathe the Line 6 amp series, but I need a good alternative that won't cost me tons o' money

Quote by Jackamedmos
OP is a fag.
/thread.

+1. That is all.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Last edited by DakoRob at Aug 8, 2010,
DONT LISTEN TO PEOPLE SAYING THIS AMP SUCKS. I recently bought it myself and I can't name something bad about it. For the price its and AMAZING amp. The comment about too much treble is rediculous because i had to crank the bass down a lot more than normal because of all the low end. Try the amp out a little more and you"ll soon realize its a great amp and perfect for what your looking for. Trust me
Quote by Waugh985
DONT LISTEN TO PEOPLE SAYING THIS AMP SUCKS. I recently bought it myself and I can't name something bad about it. For the price its and AMAZING amp. The comment about too much treble is rediculous because i had to crank the bass down a lot more than normal because of all the low end. Try the amp out a little more and you"ll soon realize its a great amp and perfect for what your looking for. Trust me

HEY EVERYBODY! I USE ALL CAP SENTENCES SO THAT EVERYONE KNOWS I'M IMPORTANT!

How many amps have you tried? Because there's definitely a bunch of treble going on in the TBX. I'd easily say it's as bad as a Spider, maybe worse.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^ i like how your sig is still better advice than like half this thread

Quote by SadusAttack
To be honest I never even heard of samash and the nearest GC is like..half an hour to 45 minutes. The closest guitar store is either a local place that's 10 minutes away and Guitar Factory..which..I'm pretty sure don't have any of the amps plugged in or won't let anyone play on them.

if they wont let you plug in, dont go there. dont give them your business, for anything, ever.
also, 30-45 minutes is not that far away. if you plan on actually trying amps out, you will be spending a good couple hours (or more) there. you arent going to be the guy who stops in for 10 minutes on the way home from work, you are going to spend some quality time with a few amps. you will find out what you like, and can then start scouring the used market (or just buy something)

i dont play a lot of metal, so i dont know what kind of tone you are looking for. but still, the 6505+ is an often recomended metal amp, and thats right in your range. or maybe some of the bugera amps. the 333xl is a XXX copy or something, which is another oft recomended amp.
I think a randall RX-120 is a better amp, i listened to a few clips on youtube sounds pretty decent lots of gain decent reverb a clean channel ,for a budget amp you could do alot worse. The patrick abate review was the best demo. That said you should save your money and get a Jet City JCA 50.