Poll: Do you like chaos and destruction?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you like chaos and destruction?
Yes
28 34%
No
15 18%
Unsure
1 1%
It depends
26 32%
Tom Waits
12 15%
Voters: 82.
Question is in the title. Do you like seeing this?

I think secretly, deep down people do always want to see things get out of control, it's like in a car race where really everyone just wants to see the crashes because the rest is boring.

To further this point, action films do really well. It's clear theres a market for ultra realistic violence and destruction in films but people only like it if it's fictional. Still, it has to look really realistic or no one would want to see it right?

How about if you took real police footage and put it in an action film but you didn't tell the public who viewed it? They'd most likley think the action film was great (or at least, they'd dislike it for reasons other than it being violent). If you then told them the scenes of people being shot at were real, they'd instantly change their minds from 'wow that's cool' to 'omg how terrible!'.

Poll soon.
it's usually fun to see. but no one wants it to happen to them.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
I hate chaos and destruction one thing that not many people know about me is that I hate seeing peoplein pain, sadness and anything like that.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Yes, but only if it's something that the involved actively took part in. Like basejumping, I love it when they get stuck on mountain ledges. Things like car crashes or explosions, not so much.
Last edited by T.s.e at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Zoot Allures is becoming philosophical today.

I love chaotic music, if that counts.

Weird, it's not letting me quote the other bit of your post...

If you saw a scene in a movie of something blowing up and then afterwards you found out it was real footage where people died would you change your mind on it? Either way, at the time when you viewed it you thought it looked awesome..
Quote by Zoot Allures
Weird, it's not letting me quote the other bit of your post...

If you saw a scene in a movie of something blowing up and then afterwards you found out it was real footage where people died would you change your mind on it? Either way, at the time when you viewed it you thought it looked awesome..

I've seen soomething where I thought it was fake.
A guy had a bag over his head and a guy was cutting his throat open, for the first five seconds I thought it was fake then I figured it was real.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by Zoot Allures
Question is in the title. Do you like seeing this?

Destruction?
Yes.

Chaos?
No.

it's like in a car race where really everyone just wants to see the crashes because the rest is boring.

That's only because it's usually Nascar and I would love to know that a Nascar driver has died. In fact, I'd love to hear that all Nascar drivers have died.

To further this point, action films do really well. It's clear theres a market for ultra realistic violence and destruction in films but people only like it if it's fictional. Still, it has to look really realistic or no one would want to see it right?

True.

How about if you took real police footage and put it in an action film but you didn't tell the public who viewed it? They'd most likley think the action film was great (or at least, they'd dislike it for reasons other than it being violent). If you then told them the scenes of people being shot at were real, they'd instantly change their minds from 'wow that's cool' to 'omg how terrible!'.

My guess is that audiences would love it, then once the news got out that it was real, a huge media shitstorm would kick up, while simultaneously, DVD sales would go through the goddamn roof. People would claim that it was horrible and they would love every second of it.
I like Tom Waits, it's always cool to see him make a cameo in a movie.

But people are hardwired to be fascinated by war, we all are to an extent.
In movies yes. Real life? No.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
i wanted to vote yes AND tom waits. but i went with yes.

i love when shit goes crazy IRL. when there's some crazy gunman on taking people out in a shopping mall. it's exciting.
#DTWD
The reason we like destruction at the movies is because we can suspend our belief about what's happening. It's so captivating because it's so detached from reality.

However, destruction in real life isn't detached from reality and therefore it is impossible to be entertained. What's happening is real, serious and will affect someone.
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
Tom is still waiting for his damn food!
[/fail]
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Yeah, to an extent. It's pretty exciting but if it directly affects you it's not so thrilling. I love big weather events. Every time a hurricane comes I genuinely like it.
Depends. Fictional violence can be amusing. Real violence is rarely amusing, although often interesting i.e. nature documentaries
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by Masamune
Yeah, to an extent. It's pretty exciting but if it directly affects you it's not so thrilling. I love big weather events. Every time a hurricane comes I genuinely like it.

Same. I love destruction and chaos when it's not my problem, or I can control how it affects me. Destruction is great as well, when I'm the one destroying things, of course.
Well I remember some news about 2 bank robbers in LA trying to fight off a bunch of pigs. I was actually on their side. Nice try, kids. They almost did it.
I also remember being shown footage of some korean dude's head being cut off by the talibs or alq. Not cool.
If you mean movie violence than sure. People like watching other people in pain. It pushes some adrenaline into the stream so it causes very light euphoria.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
I excelled at it once upon a time. Guess I got my fill.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I think the majority of people would blindly say yes. In the real world most people hate seeing close friends and family in pain, chaos and destruction is not limited to people you don't like.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Guaranteed that any one that said they loved destruction or chaos would shit their pants if it affected them.

Also, for those saying "if I could control it," there's a funny thing about chaos, as in, it can't be controlled.
Last edited by blake1221 at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by primusfan
i wanted to vote yes AND tom waits. but i went with yes.

i love when shit goes crazy IRL. when there's some crazy gunman on taking people out in a shopping mall. it's exciting.

this.
Sail upon the open skies
Tool - Aenima
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
Quote by hellbound_jonny
The reason we like destruction at the movies is because we can suspend our belief about what's happening. It's so captivating because it's so detached from reality.

However, destruction in real life isn't detached from reality and therefore it is impossible to be entertained. What's happening is real, serious and will affect someone.

That depend upon how affected you are by psychosis.
Quote by archangels

That's only because it's usually Nascar and I would love to know that a Nascar driver has died. In fact, I'd love to hear that all Nascar drivers have died.

Not cool bro. My cousin is one of those drivers.

@OP, I like chaos and disarray.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at Aug 8, 2010,