I have always been a blues guitar player and if I am not doing blues, I am then playing chords on my accoustic or power chords on my other electric. I want to learn scales for lead guitar in heavy rock. Not screamo/metal leads but rock. Would I just use my scales for blues with more distortion, or is there a different scale you use in that type of music?
also learn the major and minor scales rock doesnt really used many special scales
Why don't you try it out and see how it sounds?

To give you an answer, most of rock is basically major/minor pentatonics (or their heptatonics), just like blues.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Why don't you try it out and see how it sounds?

To give you an answer, most of rock is basically major/minor pentatonics (or their heptatonics), just like blues.

diatonic for 7 note scales
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by KoenDercksen

:

God. Heptatonic = seven pitches version of a scale. In other words, the actual scale. Your response makes no sense at ALL.

a diatonic scale is a 7 note scale muppet, yes heptagon would refer to a 7 sided shape, and the prefix hept would refer to seven, but not in music

so i throw your stack back at you.

and force you to read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatonic_scale
Pentatonic minor scales are pretty common in rock. Also major and minor scales are used in a wide variety of rock music. Those are just guidlines though. Experiment with all kinds of different scales with backing tracks and see how they sound. It might come out sounding really good.
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S