Page 1 of 2
I currently own a £220 ($350?) LTD EX-50 and a £75 line 6 spider III 15w amp. I am saving up for a new amp but I am not sure weither to get one. I know which one I want (Bugera 333xl 212 tube amp only £450!! ($700?) but apparently sounds the same as a £1000 amp!) but in my opinion I think my Line 6 sounds good. I don't know why. Maybe because I haven't tried any other amp before? My main tones are just Iron Maiden and Metallica and maybe some others like that. Any help? Should I buy the amp? Will it make that much difference. I have never tried any amp before other than Line 6 spider's.

Any help I am thankful for
Last edited by UKMaster at Aug 8, 2010,
Lol! I just started out when I got it. I have been playing for like 3 years now!
The Bugera will be a great upgrade for you. I'd be willing to bet you'll change your opinion on the Spider sounding "good" after you spend some time with the Bugera. In fact, I bet you might throw it away.
thats not true line 6 have

line 6 spider valve MKii that amp will be good enough

but I'd try a marshall series BUT NOT MG
Quote by Flash Nightmare
The Bugera will be a great upgrade for you. I'd be willing to bet you'll change your opinion on the Spider sounding "good" after you spend some time with the Bugera. In fact, I bet you might throw it away.

Lol!! I might just sell it in a week or 2 then I can afford the bugera
i would not buy a combo. the bugera speakers....... well they are not the best. buy the head and a good 2x12 or used 4x12 its way better this way
Quote by jr.v
i would not buy a combo. the bugera speakers....... well they are not the best. buy the head and a good 2x12 or used 4x12 its way better this way

I will only be playing at small gig / practising level so I don't want to buy a 4x12 speaker cab if i'm not gunna use it right! Lol! + The bugera heads apparently aren't very reliable whilst the combos are
Quote by jr.v
buy the head and a good 2x12 or used 4x12 its way better this way

Do you know any good 2x12 speaker cabs under £100?
^Not unless you get very lucky on eBay. This is the lowest budget 212 cab i would reccomend.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

Difference between a 15 watt spider and a full valve amp will be night and day. Even if you havent played many amps before. Its a pretty obvious imrpovement in sound quality.
If you live or know anybody in the states, check out Avatar cabs. Best built cabs for the money here. UK, used Marshall maybe? I dunno...

Also, definately get a tube amp asap. You'll love the difference in tone you're gonna hear. Those Marshall heads are both killer. Get the 800 over the 900 if possible.
Last edited by Flash Nightmare at Aug 8, 2010,
So should I definately upgrade my amp? Plus, will the amp sound good with a cheap guitar?
Quote by UKMaster
So should I definately upgrade my amp? Plus, will the amp sound good with a cheap guitar?

Yeah, it will STILL sound better than a Spider. You can get a new guitar or put pups in the one you have down the road. I bought a decent amp before I had a good guitar back in the day. It worked out ok for me.
Quote by Flash Nightmare
Yeah, it will STILL sound better than a Spider. You can get a new guitar or put pups in the one you have down the road. I bought a decent amp before I had a good guitar back in the day. It worked out ok for me.

Ye I will be buying the amp soon then getting the guitar at xmas. I am not sure which pups I want because I like a Iron maiden low drive sort of sound but also like high gain stuff like Metallica. I was thinking of dual 81's but apparently they are too much like 1 sound and not very.... flexible (If that makes sense!)
You dont need a high gain amp or active pickups for playing metallica and maiden.

Look into some of the MIJ made jacksons, the DK2, or some ibanez that dont have the edge III, like the S series.
Quote by beckyjc
You dont need a high gain amp or active pickups for playing metallica and maiden.

Look into some of the MIJ made jacksons, the DK2, or some ibanez that dont have the edge III, like the S series.

I was looking at the dk2's earlier and they look quite good. Found some used on ebay for like £200!
You should go for it. Theyre well built guitars, feel very nice.

They come with Seymour duncans too so theres no need to replace the pickups.
Theyre the same as the DK2s with a different body shape.

I find the body a bit uncomfortable to play, especially sitting down, but if you like it go for it.
ye maybe but then I can't afford the amp until late October. hmm not sure because I might not be able to find one again for this cheap but I don't think the tone will really change in my spider amp. will it? What would you do?
Youll notice a difference in tone, but not as much as you would upgrading your amp.

Amp is more important for tone, guitar is more about feel and playability.

I see jacksons going quite low on eBay all the time. So you have a good chance of one popping up again. Decide whats more important to you, feel or tone.

I was in the same situation a few years back when i first started playing. I picked the guitar, i dont regret the decision because I still got the amp, it just took me a while longer.
I wouldn't get the Bugera if Maiden tones are a priority. Something voiced in the Marshall vein would work much better. The Bugera is a better for modern Metallica tones though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Ye,... well I don't mind my guitar at the moment and tone is quite important to me so If changing the amp will make THAT much difference, I will choose that! + If I buy the amp now and wait till xmas I can get a better guitar. Grrr I'm not sure!!
Providing you can crank the volume to 1.5/2+ on the 333XL (any louder will shake any small/medium size building you play in and hurt your ears) you will certainly notice a maaaaasive difference in tone to your Line 6.

Trust me, get the Bugera (or any nice high gain tube amp you fancy) and you'll fall in love with your guitar all over again when you hear how the amp transforms it :-)
Ok ok I will buy the amp! You have all persuaded me so well! lol + ye I should be able to turn it up to about 2 (hopefully) because on my spider i usually turn it to about 5 - 6 so let's hope!
Again, if Maiden tones take priority over Metallica tones, get something else like a used JCM800 or a Jet City JCA50. If you'd rather have modern Metallica tones then go for the 333XL.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Well I usually just play Metallica but now I am starting to get in to maiden quite alot. They are both basically the same priority as eachother. I can get a JCM 900 for £450 or is the JCM 800 much better? It would cost about £150 more for the Marshall because I will need to buy a cab aswell
But the problem is that people are saying that with the marshall, it will not sound good at bedroom / small gig volume whilst the Bugera will sound good at any volume.
Im pretty sure the marshall will sound better than the bugera at any volume.

The 800 as far as i know, is much nicer than the 900. But the 900 has more gain (Providing its an 800 with master volume you're comparing too). I unno anything about marshall though.

Keep an eye out for a JCM 800 combo, they pop up quite often and sell quite cheap.

High gain bugera is deffinately overkill if you arent playing heavier than maiden.
A Bugera 6262 would certainly be overkill for the genres and bands you say you like playing, but the way I see it, but the Bugera 333XL sounds like a perfect fit to be honest.

It can do rock and classic rock VERY well, but also get you to the br00tz should you ever wish to play anything on a heavier side.

Personally, I love my 6262 as it just kills for the stuff I like playing (doom, death, grind) but with a decent OD pedal and the right settings on the clean channel, can do classic rock just fine Cleans aint bad too.
Ugh now I am stuck again! I just spotted a Jackson RR3 on ebay and the guy said he would give it to me for £250. It has seymour dunc's in it and the colour is perfect. Shall I buy it and just wait until christmas to buy the amp? I don't know what to do! :S
it will make you sound better than anything. anything. if you had a custom 10,000 guitar, through your line 6 there would be a negligible difference.

with a 400 watt tube amp compared to your line 6 you will think you are a professional guitarist. im not joking. the first time you play through tubes be accpetable guitar/pedals, your like.....whoa. wtf have i been doing before this?

edit:

well having a nice guitar is nice. but trust me, invest in an amp. i dont care if its a "POS" to the tube amp world my bugera is a POS but i think it sounds good, and most otehrs that drop 350 for one. insanely better than my solid states.

plus, when i drop aftermarket speaker and tubes into it, and maymbe a 2x12 cab i have no doubt it will sound as good as most stock 600-800 dollar amp setups
Last edited by ikey_ at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by Creeping_Kwano
you dont have to spend alot of money to get a decent amp, just avoid line 6

Hark, the bandwagon arrives!

Play the Duoverb, Vetta, Vetta II, Flextone, HD147, even the Spider Valves impressed me.

It should say, "just avoid Spiders".
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
So basically you are saying if I get this Bugera 333XL, My spider will sound like a piece of s**t to me? Because right now i think ot sounds quite good but as I say, I have never played a different amp except for a 10w starter amp! Lol
Apart from the fact that Jackson make some awful shaped guitars, the Japanese ones are very good quality, and sound very good too.

I doubt you'll be able to sell your Spider for much, just sayin'.

Once you play a tube amp, you'll feel silly for thinking that the Spider sounded good.

But I'd also say, that if you're not gigging or rehersing with a band, and you think the Spider sounds alright for now, there's no huge reason to upgrade to be honest.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Hmm. I think the only reason it sounds good to me is that I have never played a different amp. What I am going to do is when I have a day off work I will go to a few good guitar shops near me to try out different amps and guitars to see what I think
Page 1 of 2