hey guys,

this is somewhat related to the guitar techniques forum, so i posted it here.

how do you guys stay motivated to keep learning?

my biggest problem is that i know my basics, but i'll keep sticking to them because i'm never really in the mood or motivated enough to get into learning more or learning songs, and i'll get bored of the basics so i do not get a good feeling out of playing that either. i got a lot of songs i'd like to learn, but after a few days i'd get bored of listening to them, and within the days that i do like it i'm all like "i'll learn it another time" or "i'll learn it when i have a new guitar that suits it more". now i'm worried because it seems like i keep avoiding learning, but i do want to become a good player... i'm just never "in the mood" ?

i also feel like i put myself under alot of pressure like i want to be able to do everything fast and clean.

so there's two problems.

what do you guys do? any tips?
I usually stop with what I doing. and learn something else. Seriously it helps!
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
If your not motivated, pick your favorite song (even if its hard) and learn it.. You'll love yourself once you nail it.
Just have a kind of break, the envy will come back. During this break try to play with your brain, visualize your neck/pick wrist and imagine yourself playing your aim songs, that's really something better than a basic listening, by the way you know them by heart now... Read some theory book or some guitar player interview with licks and philosophical development....
I used to start violin during a low motivation time, I was so bad on this one that i missed guitar virtuosity... that was a real pleasure to return on my favorite instrument. Try battery or bass, anything you love.
With a new instrument adventure, you may learn patience and love who are two necessary human feeling to become a good guitar player.
Today, I really can't believe I stopped my usual guitar practice, high time with a lot of unplayable AIM i really want to own and finally own.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
When I first started, I had lessons, then I stopped. Mainly due to the same reason you have ,lack of motivation. I would pick up the guitar play a few techniques one or two songs not really find it that fun,

Then after getting back in to I picked it up again, listening to my favorite music and musicians was my influence, wanting to play great music and be generally good at an instrument.

learning and improving my skills is a challenging and rewarding process, not just the fact I would be able to play my favorite songs but to one day create something equally as good.
I personally listen to a lot of music, and just the act of listening to music makes me want to play guitar, and make music. It's also good to have idols that you look up to, and influence you greatly. In terms of being motivated to practice, I tend to take frequent breaks, and do other things in between sessions.
Lots of great advice in this thread. This has happened to me more times than I can count. The main thing is you always need to be challenging yourself and practice is kind of an ugly word. As quickly as you can, start playing songs you like and can recognize even if you screw up or don't play to tempo. Like one poster said, find your favorite song and even if it's hard learn to play it even if it takes months and oftentimes it will. I did this once by learning to play Soothsayer which I found extremely difficult. Easy for some maybe but it wasn't for me and it kept me motivated, not by just learning the song but even right down to trying to get the same sound as Buckethead. I was determined.

Messing around playing scales all the time and such doesn't really do much for your playing except make you faster and more agile. You really need to challenge yourself and at times you just need to put down the instrument for awhile to collect your thoughts. Steve Vai has admitted to doing this several times in his life even with his talent and technical ability. Truth is it probably happens to all of us at one time or another. No one ever said this is gonna be easy and it isn't but keep at it and you'll get through these lack of motivation periods and take the advice of everyone who has posted so far. They are ALL extremely good advice and you couldn't find a better group of people to give you this advice than right here at UG.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
Well, what I personally do is this: I WRITE music. Not play scales and exercises. IMO that is the WORST thing you can do, cuz its just plain BORING. I usually end up writing rubbish, but every now and then I come up with this CRAZY riff that is usually beyond my technical ablity(lol) so that drives me to nail it. Make music, don't play exercises. Hope I helped!
this is why UG rocks, thanks guys, keep 'em comming.

i went from metal to blues, so i was a decent metal rythm player but it doesn't help me much as i want to become a decent blues lead guitarist...
Go listen to some Warren Haynes. Haynes=win

EDIT: Blues is all about phrasing man, that has less to do with practicing technique but more to do with changing the way you approach the instrument/music in general
There's lot of material on UG about developing your phrasing, also listen to as many of the blues greats as you can. That'll give you ideas and some direction
Bending and vibrato are everything!
CHeers!
Last edited by catscratchfever at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by catscratchfever
EDIT: Blues is all about phrasing man, that has less to do with practicing technique but more to do with changing the way you approach the instrument/music in general
There's lot of material on UG about developing your phrasing, also listen to as many of the blues greats as you can. That'll give you ideas and some direction
Bending and vibrato are everything!
CHeers!

Sure, I know how to do this. What I want to do is just learn the licks and then sooner or later, start combining them, and then work into making them up/improvising. Maybe get a book on the subject aswell. So this isn't the problem... The problem is actually doing it. I want it BAD! But I never seem to be in the "mood" to put some effort into it.
If you have to ask that question, then stop playing guitar. You probably love the idea of being able to play guitar, but don't really like to play guitar (because it requires a lot of effort to be decent player, guitar is very difficult instrument to learn). Most guitar players have that, they just don't realize it.

All great players I know couldn't get enough of practicing, playing, having contact with instrument. None of them ever though about lack of motivation, if there was a problem it was how to stop them playing guitar and not let them starve to death.

There are of course all kind of states in-between, but if you are never in the "mood" to put any effort into it, then stop playing and save yourself a lot of frustration.
Last edited by mdeeRocks at Aug 10, 2010,
Haha you got me completely wrong. What I mean is I'm never in the mood to look up stuff, but I look at other players and try to copy what they do, or try to see what sounds good. I'm never in the mood to look up and read all that stuff, licks in tablature and theory, but rather play.
i like to learn fast, if it takes too long i usually lose interest until another time.

then i realize i have nothing better to do with my life so i keep playing
Quote by btp
i like to learn fast, if it takes too long i usually lose interest until another time.

then i realize i have nothing better to do with my life so i keep playing

i love how positive you are
Quote by mdeeRocks
If you have to ask that question, then stop playing guitar. You probably love the idea of being able to play guitar, but don't really like to play guitar (because it requires a lot of effort to be decent player, guitar is very difficult instrument to learn). Most guitar players have that, they just don't realize it.

That's just not true. Guitar is one of the easiest instruments you can learn to play.

On topic: Find out what your dream guitar/amp/etc is, print a picture of it off, and put it up some where you will see it every day. Every time you look at it, tell your self,
"I will get that some day, when I'm good enough for it."

That should give you the motivation to push your self, you want your dream guitar.
That's just not true. Guitar is one of the easiest instruments you can learn to play.

Oh really? That's very interesting point, not shared by most professional music teachers. I think we've got another natural genius on the board. Good for you.

To the original poster, if you can't be bothered to learn licks, then just don't learn them. Copying other players is very viable method (used with big success for hundreds years), at some point you will derive your own stuff from that it will come natural. You might progress rather slow technique wise tho.
Last edited by mdeeRocks at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by robhc
Guitar is one of the easiest instruments you can learn to play.

I agree for the five first step (the beginning part), that's really easy to become a scout fire player... with easy songs like sunday bloody sunday, wonderwall, all nirvana, neil young, Joan Baez, Bob dylan... but someone who say that certainly don't went to the other side... The tuff one who is really harder, you know what I mean ?
When you're able to go further, the guitar can be a real nightmare, Just like every instrument.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
Quote by mdeeRocks
You probably love the idea of being able to play guitar, but don't really like to play guitar (because it requires a lot of effort to be decent player, guitar is very difficult instrument to learn)
So if I fap 12 times a day and get sick of it, it means that I like the IDEA of fapping ... but sincerely I'm not really that into it?

There's a grain of truth to what you are saying, but the old razor "too much of a good thing" still applies here. IMO you shouldn't practice more than 15 hours a week unless you sincerely plan on playing guitar proffesionally.

Like everyone else, I want to get really good at guitar. Still I knew from the beginning I never wanted to make a living doing it. I could practice 30+ hours a week, but I want guitar playing to always be fun and never feel like a part time job.
Last edited by Deaddog at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by mdeeRocks
Oh really? That's very interesting point, not shared by most professional music teachers. I think we've got another natural genius on the board. Good for you.

Quote by Venusio G.
I agree for the five first step (the beginning part), that's really easy to become a scout fire player... with easy songs like sunday bloody sunday, wonderwall, all nirvana, neil young, Joan Baez, Bob dylan... but someone who say that certainly don't went to the other side... The tuff one who is really harder, you know what I mean ?
When you're able to go further, the guitar can be a real nightmare, Just like every instrument.

I never said the guitar was easy. No "instrument" is (strictly speaking, guitar isn't a real instrument). I was just implying that compared to real, classical instruments, guitar/bass is a piece of piss to learn. I may not have been clear about what I meant, and I apologise for that.
Quote by robhc
(strictly speaking, guitar isn't a real instrument)/color]

Huh?

Definition of instrument: an object or device for producing musical sounds

How is the guitar not an instrument?
Quote by geanes

yeah, how is it not an instrument? i'm totally missing your point here i think.
Quote by geanes
Huh?

Definition of instrument: an object or device for producing musical sounds

If I could answer that I would, but I don't know why, I just know that classical musicians don't consider guitar to be a (real) instrument. I don't know why, and to be fair, I think it's kind of offensive actually
Quote by robhc
If I could answer that I would, but I don't know why, I just know that classical musicians don't consider guitar to be a (real) instrument. I don't know why, and to be fair, I think it's kind of offensive actually

They're probably just annoyed that most people prefer guitar over they're classical "instruments".
in that case. from now on, violins shall not be seen as instruments by us guitarists!
No way !!! violin is really harder for a beginner, but when you finally got it under your fingers on eight positions, that still a tuff but at a high practice level, that's really the same, Guitar/violin same combat.
Quote by Deaddog
So if I fap 12 times a day and get sick of it, it means that I like the IDEA of fapping ... but sincerely I'm not really that into it?

There's a grain of truth to what you are saying, but the old razor "too much of a good thing" still applies here. IMO you shouldn't practice more than 15 hours a week unless you sincerely plan on playing guitar proffesionally.

Like everyone else, I want to get really good at guitar. Still I knew from the beginning I never wanted to make a living doing it. I could practice 30+ hours a week, but I want guitar playing to always be fun and never feel like a part time job.

It's not black and white situation of course, but, oddly enough, from my observation it tends to be black/white for many aspiring guitar players (weird, I know). Either they are into it 100% or just like the idea of playing guitar and put zero to none effort into it, because they are never in the mood, they buy new gear instead, thinking it will improve their playing.

People who treat is as a hobby and actually do it and try to get to a decent level, are minority, I don't know why, probably has something to do with ego boosting features of guitars or whatever.
for me, i have always enjoyed PRACTICING! if you always play things that are HARD, and repeat them, they will eventually get EASY. of course, we are talking about how to stay motivated to do just that...

ways i stay motivated:
learn challenging stuff like protest the hero
go for walk around the block
stop playing guitar for a while
learn songs by ear that are different than what you already know
write your own songs
learn theory, such as scales and modes and play them as fast as you can to a metronome!

hope these things help

PEACE
Quote by robhc

Do you mean the same way people who drive a Ferrari don't approve a Fiat to be a car?

theymad.

I don't really see any arguments for guitar not to be an instrument.
Clearly the guitar is an instrument but I think I understand the argument. Guitarists had/have been shunned by the classical community for quite some time because of various reasons and influences. It's like you never saw a guitar play with an orchestra and it was even worse if it was an electric guitar. For example, you would have never seen this until the lines were broken:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IrWyZ0KZuk&feature=av2e

It just never happened. Rock musicians and electric guitar gave music a bad name ACCORDING to classical circles. In truth the guitar is a complete instrument and probably the most complete instrument there is. With it's vocal range, ability to play in all keys, incredible versatility and portability and the ability to make nearly every sound imaginable, IMO who wouldn't play guitar? It's not only an instrument, it's a complete instrument and is actually an envy to classical players who might be stuck with instruments that are very limited in what they can do. Let us also not forget that most of us and other guitarists don't read music and don't have to. Another thing that pisses off the classical community. This is just my two cents though.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
Last edited by skywalker45 at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by skywalker45

got that DVD, pretty good. i believe that in October he'll be in Groningen again for a concert like this. 2 days, 70 bucks a day I believe. i'm going to Satchs guitar night instead though, don't dig the whole orchestra thing as much as bluesy rock & old fashioned shred.

as for people who like the idea, i believe those are indeed the most common "guitarists", but i really don't like the way they see the guitar. to me it's more of a passion but due to all the stuff that's going on in my life and in my head right now it's just hard to stay motivated. however, i will give it my best. i am in therapy for a while know and i'm sure there should be some improvement after a while. i notice when i do feel some improvement is being made i automaticly start (day-)dreaming about guitar stuff again :p
Last edited by petmyhat at Aug 14, 2010,