When you change strings iv heard its bad for your guitar to take all the strings off at once because of the stress changes on the neck, what do you guys think?
And idk much about different string gauges other than that the heavier gauges are better for lower tunings so can you educate me a little about that
Quote by jesus=dinosaur
When you change strings iv heard its bad for your guitar to take all the strings off at once because of the stress changes on the neck, what do you guys think?
And idk much about different string gauges other than that the heavier gauges are better for lower tunings so can you educate me a little about that

Floyd Rose or no? Do NOT take all the strings off at once if you have a OFR on your guitar. FWIW I like 11-46's. YMMV.
I've heard both sides to this, but I've found that taking all the strings off at once doesn't really do anything to the neck provided you don't leave it without any strings on for prolonged periods.

As for string gauges, heavier strings = heavier, sludgier sound, better for lower tunings, as they are thicker they need to be tighter, harder on your fingers (you get used to it pretty quick though), harder to do bends.
Lighter string gauges is the inverse.

Hope I could help.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by Flash Nightmare
Floyd Rose or no? Do NOT take all the strings off at once if you have a OFR on your guitar. FWIW I like 11-46's. YMMV.

You can take all the strings off if you have a FR. You just have to put something in the cavity to block it from recessing into the body.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
if you take the all the strings off and do not put a new set on soon the neck will relax, and you will need to set the guitar up, as for floyd roses you can take all the strings off, but use something like a spoon or 9v battery to keep the bridge level
Quote by Koshman32
You can take all the strings off if you have a FR. You just have to put something in the cavity to block it from recessing into the body.

Truth. How else are you going to clean your fretboard? Just stick like a 9v battery under the trem unit.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Koshman32

True. I just watch my tech do it one at time to keep from messing with the tuning too bad. He won't use a block because he's paranoid he'll scratch a guitar and unless you need to clean the fretboard it's just easier to do it one at a time.
I take all the string off every time when re-stringing my guitar thats equipped with a LFR to give everything a good dust off but then my strings tend to last quite a while and i only change the strings once they're well and truely dead.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Flash Nightmare
True. I just watch my tech do it one at time to keep from messing with the tuning too bad. He won't use a block because he's paranoid he'll scratch a guitar and unless you need to clean the fretboard it's just easier to do it one at a time.

It is a lot easier to do it one at a time. Ever 4th string change I'll take them all off to clean everywhere I couldn't clean with the strings on. And I use a fat chunk of eraser, that I have wrapped in duck tape (so I don't get chunks of eraser stuck in places on the guitar), and use that to support the trem.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
It is a lot easier to do it one at a time. Ever 4th string change I'll take them all off to clean everywhere I couldn't clean with the strings on. And I use a fat chunk of eraser, that I have wrapped in duck tape (so I don't get chunks of eraser stuck in places on the guitar), and use that to support the trem.

Great idea. I think my tech actually uses a sock with something in it when he takes them all off. I can't believe I'm going to admit this on here, but I've played guitar for ten years and I've never actually changed the strings myself. I tried, and I don't know if it's because I'm left handed, dyslexic, or just plain bad at it, I always start to thread the strings backwards on the post. Ridiculous. If my tech ever quits, I'm f'd.
I don't think it's going to warp your neck or anything, but it will settle into tune much more quickly if the neck isn't going through rapid changes in pressure. Unless you have a reason to take them all off, it's smarter to change one at a time.
Quote by Flash Nightmare
Great idea. I think my tech actually uses a sock with something in it when he takes them all off. I can't believe I'm going to admit this on here, but I've played guitar for ten years and I've never actually changed the strings myself. I tried, and I don't know if it's because I'm left handed, dyslexic, or just plain bad at it, I always start to thread the strings backwards on the post. Ridiculous. If my tech ever quits, I'm f'd.

You NEED to learn. It should be the easiest thing about guitar you know. Why spend more than the cost of strings to get new ones on your guitar?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
You NEED to learn. It should be the easiest thing about guitar you know. Why spend more than the cost of strings to get new ones on your guitar?

I wholeheartedly agree with you but, I need to keep my tech in business too. He's a great guy with a family to feed, and he's a blast to talk to while he's stringing, adjusting, and intonating away. I'm sure if I HAD to do it, I could.