OK, I know the Major and Minor Scales, at least by figures, I can play them relatively fast and all but that's about it. I don't know where to go from there. I don't get what the next step is to begin improvising/soloing using them. Any help? What should I do now?
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Hi,

The next step for you is to set a "drone sound" and play all the modes. Sounds difficult, but it's easy. Play C major scale over C drone - say in 8th position. Then play the same fingering but now don't play the first C note - so from D to D, but this time over the D - drone. You are getting D - Dorian. Analogically - E - E over E drone - E - Phrygian, etc. It will give you the specific sound of certain scales. There is always a big buzz around how to get the "unique sound" of those modes while they all comprise of the same notes. This is how Get ready and keep picking
Quote by Daniel Perskawi
Hi,

The next step for you is to set a "drone sound" and play all the modes. Sounds difficult, but it's easy. Play C major scale over C drone - say in 8th position. Then play the same fingering but now don't play the first C note - so from D to D, but this time over the D - drone. You are getting D - Dorian. Analogically - E - E over E drone - E - Phrygian, etc. It will give you the specific sound of certain scales. There is always a big buzz around how to get the "unique sound" of those modes while they all comprise of the same notes. This is how Get ready and keep picking

It really isn't.

TS, the next step is to start playing some music with those scales. Stop focussing on the patterns and what you're doing with your fingers and instead start focussing on the sounds contained within that scale and decide what you want to create with those sounds.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Can you identify keys of songs and apply the scales to those keys? If not, learn how to.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Surely, playing music with those is the ultimate goal. The truth is, nobody can show you the only way - there are as many correct ways as those incorrect ones. Keep to practical suggestions given by people on the forum - i.e. "how" as opposed to "what" to do.
OK, I know the Major and Minor Scales, at least by figures, I can play them relatively fast and all but that's about it. I don't know where to go from there. I don't get what the next step is to begin improvising/soloing using them. Any help? What should I do now?

From what you describe it sounds like you do not know scales, you know how to play them by figure.
What worked for me (and I think is generally an effective method) is to practice them (over a drone if you want) on single strings (major at first) in all 12 keys. then in 2 or 3 string one octave positions, then in CAGED positions and finally in 3 note per string positions. For the multi octave positions, practice playing them in various diatonic patterns (thirds, 4ths, triads and seventh chords and by mode--root to root, then second to second ETC). Your goal should be to think of the scale less as a a pattern of notes (C to C) and more an available pool of notes (C D E F G A B C, though not necesarily in that order) and to break down pre-conceived fingering patterns for improvisation. This also saves time on practicing modes, as if you have the C Major scale under your fingers and you understand the it and want to play a D Dorian sound, you can just use the notes (and position) of C Major, but just resolve things to D instead of having to learn new fingerings for each mode.
http://www.outsideshore.com/primer/primer/
reading that will help a lot with applying scales to improvisation.
Quote by Silveroon009

It sounds to me like you're just playing the notes in order, which is actually pretty comon when your first starting to learn this, because you don't know what sounds good yet except playing in order.

When I started improvising, I would usually sit in front of the TV, with my guitar, and play along with the jingles in the commercials, trying to match it exactly, and I started to understand what sounded good. After a while, I started trying to play real solos with the music in the show I was watching, and just got better.

Basically, all you really need to do is practice. You could try my way, or make up your own that might work better for you.

Quote by Silveroon009
I know the Major and Minor Scales, at least by figures

It would probably be a good idea to learn your theory better, it could help in every part of your music. Technically you don't have to though, I heard somewhere that Slash doesn't know any theory at all, and just plays by the "feel", and he is a great guitarist.

Basically the way I see it, if you want to be a good guitarist, you don't need a lot of theory, but if you want to be a good musician, you have to start understanding music better, aka learn music theory.
Last edited by nbur4556 at Aug 9, 2010,
Instead of knowing scales by shapes just learn the fretboard and learn the intervals. Once you know the fretboard well it's much easier to improvise in key since you can play all over the neck and not just in fixed positions, your mind relies less on familiar patterns and acts intuitively.
Quote by nbur4556

It would probably be a good idea to learn your theory better, it could help in every part of your music. Technically you don't have to though, I heard somewhere that Slash doesn't know any theory at all, and just plays by the "feel", and he is a great guitarist.

If this is true, he feels the major, minor and blues scales. A lot.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Daniel Perskawi
Surely, playing music with those is the ultimate goal. The truth is, nobody can show you the only way - there are as many correct ways as those incorrect ones. Keep to practical suggestions given by people on the forum - i.e. "how" as opposed to "what" to do.

You've got to admit that there's nothing correct about suggesting modes to someone who barely understands the major scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
TS, the next step is to start playing some music with those scales. Stop focusing on the patterns and what you're doing with your fingers and instead start focusing on the sounds contained within that scale and decide what you want to create with those sounds.

This, right here.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?