Page 1 of 6
fix link please.

Edit: Cool! Hopefully this will help dispel the myth that tube amps will always be better than solid state.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Last edited by Doodleface at Aug 8, 2010,
That's... awesome. Too bad it's not the right voicing for the music I play.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
would have sounded better with a shecter...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Meh I just bought my expensive tube amp...

Pfft Fender is where its at Greg!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Yeah i think its cool. I'm not sure if it could do the br00tz if you will but i think it could do up to 80s rock type stuff with ease.
Didn't really like the voicing of it. As far as SS goes, I think the VH140C tops it though.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
It did indeed but it wouldnt fulfil my needs so I cant get too excited over it, though its amazing to see how close they are now getting to replicating real tube tone.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by JagerSlushy
Didn't really like the voicing of it. As far as SS goes, I think the VH140C tops it though.

Completely different amps... The VH140C goes for it's own tone. This seems to be more about capturing a tube like tone in a more affordable package.

And erybudy noes dat Schecter Hallrazers r teh most versutal geetars evar. It haz coil tapz! U can get a Lez Pal and Strat toan out of it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
huh i dont needz to coil tap, i haz umbuckerz...

no seriously i do.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by coolstoryangus
They're also planning on doing a SS dumble type amp. TGP will flip.

Those poor fragile harmonics.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I wanna hear that with a Strat.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by mmolteratx
Lance Keltner FTW.

hell yeah, honestly that amp sounds nice for crunch, isn't as huge sounding as a 100W superlead but that's perfect for a studio because you won't have to worry about kiddies not knowing how to use tube amps...

Quote by MortifiedLizard
I wanna hear that with a Strat.

he plays it with a strat at the end
Sounds nice. Too bad it's single channel, though. It cleans up at low gain but what happens when you put it in balls-to-the-wall br00t4lity?

Quote by stykerwolf
hell yeah, honestly that amp sounds nice for crunch, isn't as huge sounding as a 100W superlead but that's perfect for a studio because you won't have to worry about kiddies not knowing how to use tube amps...

With some proper mixing, it could probably get there...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 8, 2010,
They're going to be under $1000, too. There's a Dumble style amp in the works.
Quote by Raijouta
Sounds nice. Too bad it's single channel, though. It cleans up at low gain but what happens when you put it in balls-to-the-wall br00t4lity?

With some proper mixing, it could probably get there...

yeah that small sound is probably from the camera/cab/room and all. if professionally mixed i'm sure it can keep up with amps like a Superlead or 800
Great.

Sounds fantastic - Of course, i've always been one to want a solid state amp for solid state tones intead of tube-like tones, so my only gripe is that it sounds like a tube amp

But then, at least it proves that solid state amps aren't just the crappy practice amps you get in a starter pack, or overpriced, bigger and louder versions of those crappy practice amps - there are great sounding solid state amps around, but you've gotta pay for a great sound, the bad solid state amps are bad because they are cheap, and cheap because they are bad - i don't expect this amp is gonna cost any less than £1000.

edit: seriously colin? under $1000US? i'm impressed!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 8, 2010,
i'm legitimately impressed. amp sounds great
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
It certainly sounds impressive. Someone explain to me why this is better than a Trech 21 Trademark 30.
I didn't like the beginning, but when he turned the volume knob down it started to sound amazing!
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

that sounded rediculous. Fractal may have met its match in terms of non tube amp design. I always figured there was no way cliff at fractal was the only person in the world to be able to figure out how to do it without tubes. No disrespect to cliff the axe is an amazing product.

edit: i have a feeling these are going to be backordered for a while at < 1k
Guitars
Amps
Last edited by Matt15f at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by Matt15f
that sounded rediculous. Fractal may have met its match in terms of non tube amp design. I always figured there was no way cliff at fractal was the only person in the world to be able to figure out how to do it without tubes. No disrespect to cliff the axe is an amazing product.

edit: i have a feeling these are going to be backordered for a while at < 1k

The only thing is, the bad-sounding SS amps only sound bad because they're cheap and poorly designed. If someone with some idea of what they're doing is involved, the results can be just as good as a tube amp. The Hughes and Kettner Zentera, Ampeg VH140c and SS140c, the Jazz Chorus, Vox Super Beatle among others, as well as this amp, are proof of that.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The only thing is, the bad-sounding SS amps only sound bad because they're cheap and poorly designed. If someone with some idea of what they're doing is involved, the results can be just as good as a tube amp. The Hughes and Kettner Zentera, Ampeg VH140c and SS140c, the Jazz Chorus, Vox Super Beatle among others, as well as this amp, are proof of that.

Which i am all for, tubes are old tech, its about time guitar amps get some moderinization. I would love for the big amp makers (or small ones) to start putting out non tube amps that sound incredible like the one in this thread.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f

This is an amp with one voice and no effects. It’s not even in the same league and it’s being sold to completely different people.
Quote by jpnyc
This is an amp with one voice and no effects. It’s not even in the same league and it’s being sold to completely different people.

you missed the point. The point is that someone other than fractal is finally putting out a legit non tube amp that appears to have all the tone that a tube amp does.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Raijouta

yeah, it's just easier to make a tube amp sound better then a solid stater, that's why technology kinda stopped when people realized they can create kickass tone without really developing techniques with transistors to emulate that tube warmth.

it's nice to see some people building something different and innovative, who knows, this may lead to a whole range of good SS amplifiers...
I don't see why so many people are against solid state.....sure it depends on the volume you play at but still, SS can sound very nice in some situations.

coolstoryangus - I think the amp sounds great, thanks for sharing the link.
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by moody07747
I don't see why so many people are against solid state.....sure it depends on the volume you play at but still, SS can sound very nice in some situations.

its a cultural thing based upon many years of guitar culture that needs to be re visited.
Guitars
Amps