Hey Bassheads,

I'm looking to get a portable bass to drag with me to work so I can practice before, after and during break. Anyone have any recommendations or brand names to look at?

PS: I have not ignored the possibility of cheapo peavey (or no name) and taking a hacksaw to it to slim it down.
Be Simple, Be Obvious, Be Happy
Get a bass that's short scale and/or headless?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I'm looking more for a smaller body. Just not sure about any brands that make decent compact basses.
At work, shouldnt you be working before and after your break? Ah well, I spent most of my time at my last job learning how to play the harmonica, haha.

http://www.ariausa.com/guitars/as690bfl.html

Like that, but with frets if you like frets. That was just in my favourites, from when I wanted to buy one a while ago, theyre super thin and you plug headphones in and play. You can also amp it up, and play live with it, theyre pretty nice basses.
Quote by Stud_Muffin
At work, shouldnt you be working before and after your break? Ah well, I spent most of my time at my last job learning how to play the harmonica, haha.

I think he meant before work, after work and during his break...

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stud_Muffin: Very cool. And yes, I forgot to mention the part that the commute gives me 45 minutes before and after shifts to noodle around. I doubt retail would allow me to sit up at cash playing bass (although that'd be awesome).

EDIT: Wait a minute. No, I didn't forget to write it down.
EDIT2: Steinberg was the name I was thinking of.
Last edited by ChikenKannon at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by Bassist Rising
I think he meant before work, after work and during his break...

Fair enough, gave me a chance to make a cheap joke at least. Trying to be funny and failing is my comedic speciality.

EDIT: TS, you mean steinberger, by all means check them out, and some status basses too, but they're not that cheap tbh...
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll poke around the web and then the nearby stores.
Quote by ChikenKannon
Stud_Muffin: Very cool. And yes, I forgot to mention the part that the commute gives me 45 minutes before and after shifts to noodle around. I doubt retail would allow me to sit up at cash playing bass (although that'd be awesome).

EDIT: Wait a minute. No, I didn't forget to write it down.
EDIT2: Steinberg was the name I was thinking of.

Steinberger's, status's, in fact most decent headless, compact-body basses are rather expensive. Hohner makes licensed Steinberger copies, and they're alright, but run the price of an intermediate instrument. There are some other old copies (namely Cort ones) that are ok, but you get what you pay for with a cheap bass....a cheap bass.

I suggest you check out the Kala U-Bass, can't get more portable then that.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I own a Kala Ubass. Its perfect to carry back and forth to work and practice. I do it all the time.