I play metal and i dont really mess around with the pots on my guitar. Heres my question, Would there be a big difference in my sound if i decided to switch to a single pickup guitar?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Depends what the nature of that guitar was. If you got your existing guitar and simply lifted out the neck/middle pickup(s) and tookt he pickup selector switch out of the system then no, it won't make any real difference. If you bought a guitar that was made with just one pickup then yes, that would be much more of a difference - although that difference could also be attributed to different woods, different hardware, a different control layout or different build quality.

In short, it's not as simple as how many pickups the guitar has. Everything else about the guitar comes into play, you need to consider the guitar as a whole.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If you just have a single pickup (be it a single coil or bucker) you'll only be able to change the sound of your guitar through a pedal or amp settings. It's not a very versatile configuration for a guitar.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

I do exactly that... To be honest my Fender strat sounds killer for metal and more often than not I prefer it to my Jackson Kelly which has a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge!
The only thing that can be a pain sometimes is if you're playing say Pantera or something on it... to get the same punch from a humbucker you have to knock the gain up a bit.
(or put a humbucker in the bridge, completely your choice :P )
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
I pretty much mean tone wise. I just realized i didnt put that in up there
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Well again, tone comes from the guitar as a whole, not just a few parts.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Well if you only use one pickup then if you buy a guitar with only that pickup thats similarly spec'd in most other ways it will sound similar.
SMILE!