I know everyone's a guitarist here, but I was wondering how people set up overheads for drums. Yes, I've looked it up online and have seen many videos and tutorials. I know theres the xy setup, and just the typical stereo setup, one mic on each side of the kit. I would like to do the latter, but my questions are:
-Where should they be pointed to?
-How far should they be from the drummer? (ie. near the snare, or more over the cymbals) -When using the 3-1 rule, do i measure the distance from the kit to the mics from the cymbals or the drums? Thanks for any help.
Quote by wat???
I know everyone's a guitarist here...

Actually that isn't true. I know a lot of members who play guitar as well as other instruments. However I don't think many here play drums.

...but I was wondering how people set up overheads for drums. Yes, I've looked it up online and have seen many videos and tutorials. I know theres the xy setup, and just the typical stereo setup, one mic on each side of the kit. I would like to do the latter, but my questions are:
-Where should they be pointed to?
-How far should they be from the drummer? (ie. near the snare, or more over the cymbals) -When using the 3-1 rule, do i measure the distance from the kit to the mics from the cymbals or the drums? Thanks for any help.

I position them mid way over the kit in a "spaced pair" configuration. Do some testing and see what sounds best as you can normally get some good tone out of the rim shots and cross sticking on the snare. You get a lot out of the cymbals though as they send the sound in a vertical direction more than horizontal.

I tend to place the mics about 4-5 feet apart and 4-5 feet higher than the cymbals.

Look up on google and search about the 3:1 rule. There really are no rules in micing kits and such, just guidelines to keep in mind. Experiment yourself and see what sounds best. Your room acoustics could effect many different things and so you may have to mic the kit a little differently to compensate.
i personally use the XY over the center of the kit. the reasoning is that if my song ever gets played over a mono system, there wont be any funky phase issues on my drums.

where i place them depends on how many cymbals the drummer has and the placement of them. generally it's fairly centered and the height is just a comfortable height for me to reach and adjust them which thankfully works out well in how they sound.
Usually, I stereo-mic them at about a 45 degree angle, pointing towards the drum. Usually a foot or a little more between the highest article of the drum set (usually the cymbal) and the mic. I haven't mic'd drum sets extensively, but I've found that this, coupled with a good job of micing and mixing the kit itself, sounds very nice.
"Music Can Change The World Because It Can Change People..." - Bono

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING! SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION AHEAD!

Also to add to what everyone says above... Its really important to make sure that your OH mics are in phase with your snare. The snare is going to the loudest and most prominent peice of the kit the OH are going to capture. Just position your mics and use a mic cable as a measurement tool. You just have to make sure your snare is in phase in your OH mics so its not causing phase cancellation.
or you can usse what we like to call an american xlr which is really xrl that would sort the phase out
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
The only bad thing about using the phase reverse in a DAW or on a console for that matter is if you are closer to 80 degrees out of phase the closer in phase the reversal will get you. Say you are 90 degrees outta phase. If you phase reverses you will still be out of phase. Its always best to make sure its correct at the source.
^I agree 100% with that comment. IF you notice the issue you can correct it but hey, things slip by at times and I'm sure that's why they put the phase reverse button in all the sequencers. lol