I was wondering cause my grandpa has a farm and we found an old cattle prod tht they used to brand cows with. The design on it is relly cool and unique to my family so i was wondering if i was possible to brand it on to the back of my acoustic preferably without damaging it. Help?
Fender Standard Strat MIM->Crybaby Wah->Digitech Bad Monkey->Expandora EXP-2000->Peavey Vypr 30/Peavey Classic 20

"The future is unwritten,"-Joe Strummer
You're taking super hot metal and applying it to wood. What do you think will happen?
It’s probably not a good idea. The wood on an acoustic is pretty thin and could warp when you apply the brand because the brand will not be applying heat evenly. If the brand is big enough the warping could cause cracking.
i would suggest that you try it on a piece of plywood or something first and if that works and you still want to do it on your guitar you should have a bucket of water...just in case =b and make sure you dont press too hard and make a burn hole =]
Just a heads up, it will most likely crack the finish around the branding area.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I would think it would be possible.Try experimenting on some scrap wood.Make sure you get it hot enough and just touch it once or you will get a mess.When youre done quench it with a wet rag.Good Luck.
Quote by RockRolla
I would think it would be possible.Try experimenting on some scrap wood.Make sure you get it hot enough and just touch it once or you will get a mess.When youre done quench it with a wet rag.Good Luck.

Wow, really?

Have you ever cooled something hot down really fast?

Try tossing water on a lightbulb and let me know how that works out for you.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Just a heads up, it will most likely crack the finish around the branding area.

+1, you might wanna sand the finish back a bit. As long as you're careful with it and don't let it rest on the wood for too long you should be fine.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Maybe try putting paint or ink on it and make it a stamp instead of a brand?
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Shit, this is pure win. You can have my interwebz, I was saving them for a rainy day.

^about my halloween costume
Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Oh, so it's sorta like real-life gaming, then?
^ Might be a good idea. I'm sure if you took it to a guy who does guitar finishes, he could stain the "brand" in to look like it was burned.

it would probably be safer to brand your own ass.
you're applying a lot of heat to a hollow wooden instrument. in one place. physics predicts an epic fail.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by britishsligean
jack white's main gretsch accoustic was done by a tatto artist using a hot iron i believe

In the movie It Might Get Loud he shows off a guitar where a tattoo artist used a hot brand to put a face on his guitar. Of course he was a practiced tattoo artist, and he wasn't using a giant iron brand.

I say that you practice a lot before you do it. When you actually do go to brand it you should probably sand the finish back a bit, or at least rough it up.
I wouldnt do it on the body but I dont think it'll be a problem in the back of the headstock if it's really that small to fit there.

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
It depends if your guitar is laminate or solid. One would think it would work better on a solid wood guitar with a sanded finish. Just put it on there for a split second. I think it would look cool as hell!
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
take the brand and put some ink or paint on it, then put the brand onto a paper. scan the paper once the ink is dy, then tidy up the pattern using MS paint or similar, then print your image onto a high quality clear sticker paper, and cut and apply to your guitar.

failing not being able to do the above. take the design into an artist/Luthier and pay them to apply it properly.
All this paint it on stuff just wouldn't be the same, or be as bad ass, as taking a hot iron to an old acoustic. Go for it, and be sure to post pictures.
what about making a stencil outline out of plastic, then using a soldering gun to etch the design on? would still get the burnt on look, without using a red hot branding iron.
Ive done something similar with a lighter and paper clip, as well as pen just to make it even.

Leaves a pretty nice scar, but the finish will bubble and crack
thx for your help, ill probly try it on a piece of plywood first but my only concerns r if it will screw up the finish and if itll burn a whole. Idc too much about the finish tho cause its a 150buck guitar but ill expirement first. i might try to make it a stamp but tht wont be as badass. Ill post pics when im done and thx
Fender Standard Strat MIM->Crybaby Wah->Digitech Bad Monkey->Expandora EXP-2000->Peavey Vypr 30/Peavey Classic 20

i also like the idea of doing it on the back of the headstock. The woods much thicker and itll probly not screw anything up as much if u did it on the body, but idk if itll fit ill hav to c