A guy just offered me a Boss MIJ GE7 EQ for 35 bucks. I know MIJ is always better but for an eq how much better could it be. Are they made with better components to make them sound better or something. He said the slider caps fell off to so would I be able to replace them easily.
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Don't be so sure MIJ actually is better. Most of the differences in those A/B videos you can chalk up to component drift between the models.

I've heard MITs that sound exactly like MIJs in a direct comparison.

Besides, a Keeley modded MIT is going to be cheaper than an MIJ and sound better.

You might want to look into those slider caps, though.

A lot of that older stuff is hard, if not impossible to come by these days.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Don't be so sure MIJ actually is better. Most of the differences in those A/B videos you can chalk up to component drift between the models.

I've heard MITs that sound exactly like MIJs in a direct comparison.

Besides, a Keeley modded MIT is going to be cheaper than an MIJ and sound better.

You might want to look into those slider caps, though.

A lot of that older stuff is hard, if not impossible to come by these days.

well i mean even for 35 bucks i could probably fix it up cosmetically and sell it on the bay for 3 times the price im getting it for..but i think id rather keep it just for the hell of it
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
^ Only if you can get replacement parts for it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
mij or not, the boss ge-7 is pretty much the bottom of the barrell when talking about eqs.
grab that MXR 6-band eq from the guy in west grove karpet. Search it on craigslist, you'll find it. I know exactly which ad you probably found this in. I'd stay away from the GE-7

also buying a pedal to fix up isn't really worth it, espeically in this case
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ Only if you can get replacement parts for it.

yup so i think ill pics it up anyway i mean its only 35 bucks..get ready for a new gear day cause tomorrow im getting an ibanez rg560, mxr super comp, and this hopefully
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by handbanana
mij or not, the boss ge-7 is pretty much the bottom of the barrell when talking about eqs.
grab that MXR 6-band eq from the guy in west grove karpet. Search it on craigslist, you'll find it. I know exactly which ad you probably found this in. I'd stay away from the GE-7

also buying a pedal to fix up isn't really worth it, espeically in this case

whats the difference i mean there both 6 band
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
The MXR is simply a good pedal, and the Boss to be honest isn't. You can actually get a brand new MXR 6-bander for $70. That dude from west grove is a complete retard to be honest. I tried trading him my OD-3, and he was down, but would only email me back like 5 days after I emailed him, and everytime I tried to make a time to meet, he just didn't answer for like a week. Even after giving him my number. But if you can drive to west grove, go for it. Definitely worth the extra $15 over the Boss one.

Most boss pedals really aren't that great to begin with tbh. I'm starting to realize how overrated Boss pedals are and am trying to use other brands such as Ibanez, MXR, and EHX
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by handbanana
The MXR is simply a good pedal, and the Boss to be honest isn't. You can actually get a brand new MXR 6-bander for $70. That dude from west grove is a complete retard to be honest. I tried trading him my OD-3, and he was down, but would only email me back like 5 days after I emailed him, and everytime I tried to make a time to meet, he just didn't answer for like a week. Even after giving him my number. But if you can drive to west grove, go for it. Definitely worth the extra $15 over the Boss one.

Most boss pedals really aren't that great to begin with tbh. I'm starting to realize how overrated Boss pedals are and am trying to use other brands such as Ibanez, MXR, and EHX

o my god dude ive been looking for a used eq(obviously) and sent this guy an offer and was gonna do a trade for my bass amp and he just stopped answering when i asked him what day was good for him.

dude first your peavey vtm(i dont know if you remeber) and now this..it really is a small world
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
well we look at the same craigslist, and have similar interests in gear, so what do you expect?

I'm selling some stuff as well if you're interested, a Boss OD-3 and DS-1, and a three guitar stand. I have an ad for them on craigslist as well
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by handbanana

What a load of shit. You should be ashamed of yourself "This is better because it is. Just don't ask any questions, k?"

If any of the two could be called better, it would be the Boss. With an extra EQ band and a level slider, why would you pick the MXR? Plus, at $35 it's a steal and could maybe be flipped in the very least
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Last edited by IsThereLoveInSp at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
also, i was considering getting a line 6 pocket pod, until I saw this today
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1887458881.html

looks pretty old...didnt they replace that with the me-50

btw-why are looking for a boss metal core i hear theyre horrible haha
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
What a load of shit. You should be ashamed of yourself "This is better because it is. Just don't ask any questions, k?"

If any of the two could be called better, it would be the Boss. With an extra EQ band and a level slider, why would you pick the MXR? Plus, at $35 it's a steal and could maybe be flipped in the very least

so you're saying the Boss is better just cause it's 7 band over a 6 band? you've obviously never played either one
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by Karpet King
looks pretty old...didnt they replace that with the me-50

btw-why are looking for a boss metal core i hear theyre horrible haha

the metal zones are horrible. the metal core is a pretty unique high gain pedal if you ask me. It gives me a good entombed tone, for a nice high treble distortion. i.e.:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkpZ1tPCSJ4

I really don't like boss pedals much at all, it's one of the few I would consider spending money on.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by handbanana
the metal zones are horrible. the metal core is a pretty unique high gain pedal if you ask me. It gives me a good entombed tone, for a nice high treble distortion. i.e.:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkpZ1tPCSJ4

I really don't like boss pedals much at all, it's one of the few I would consider spending money on.

o ok hey i mean i never played one i wouldnt know. the guy didnt want to drive out my way so he wanted to ship it for an extra 10 and i told him i can get an mxr 6 band for that almost new and he got mad and said i was wasting his time...but i mean really why would i pay 10 bucks to ship something 45 minuted away and i would drive but i dont have a car
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by handbanana
so you're saying the Boss is better just cause it's 7 band over a 6 band? you've obviously never played either one

Given two pedals that sound about the same with similar histories of unreliability, I'd go for the cheaper one with more options (why you would get an EQ without a level slider is beyond me, it's always been a pretty integral part imo). It's not like either pedal is a class act.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Last edited by IsThereLoveInSp at Aug 8, 2010,
like i said, have you played both pedals? how would you know if they are more/less the same if you've never played them? Also i've haven't any reliability issued with the MXR from anyone, yet hear nothing but bad things about the GE-7. I have actually had a GE-7 that I ended up selling the next day, cause unlike the MXR(and just like a lot of boss pedals) does not have real true bypass. I swear Boss just says it is on some of the pedals whether they actually are or not.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by handbanana
like i said, have you played both pedals? how would you know if they are more/less the same if you've never played them? Also i've haven't any reliability issued with the MXR from anyone, yet hear nothing but bad things about the GE-7. I have actually had a GE-7 that I ended up selling the next day, cause unlike the MXR(and just like a lot of boss pedals) does not have real true bypass. I swear Boss just says it is on some of the pedals whether they actually are or not.

Yes, I have played both. They sounded about the same aside from a small bit of 'tone suck' from the Boss. I've had a couple MXR pedals, all have either shitted out on me or wouldn't work from the start. Also, neither are true bypass and no Boss pedal has been marketed as true bypass (not that true bypass is intrinsically better than a buffered bypass anyway)
Board: