Was looking on ebay for a silly cheap telecaster nock off that i could nick parts from just so i had a guitar to play until i can afford to upgrade things (using the alder body i've got and the parts from the nock off) but then i found a 'johnny brook electric telecaster' which was brand new, which supposedly had a maple neck and was £50.

Then i thought, well surely theres some cheap guitars out there made of proper wood, so i google johnny brook and low and behold the telecaster forum have been discussing such things.

What im here to ask, is which are worth getting? cos im in need of a guitar that i plan to eventually upgrade electrically and have set up etc but i'd like one made of the right woods in the first place. Sorry for the essay, but here's stuff ive found:

Wesley

Butterscotch tele

Im straying toward the latter because it really is sexy looking, i could upgrade the electronics and fit the locking tuners i've got and eventually have it pro set up. What are your thoughts though, worth doing? Will they sound any good/play alright?

Kudos if you've read this far
I imagine some finagling and what not could produce a reasonably good guitar. looks like a squier to me.
Well i was looking at squiers for parts but even they have some of that headstock logo syndrome (you pay a bit more even though its a budget guitar, just because its associated with fender)
How do the necks of those budget guitars feel? The neck is usually the deal-breaker: You either love or hate playing it based on the neck feel.

If you could, monitor parts on eBay. You can buy Fender parts for peanuts if you're patient; unless, you want a guitar you can play immediately. Most of the Squiers I've modded have very comfortable necks and you can buy them Used for ~$40, call it £40, in very good condition.

For electronics, don't cheap out. Get quality pots and switch, pretty inexpensive.

7.25" fretboard radius so im told. What i'd like to know is how on earth you get a squier tele for $40, theyre over £100 on ebay here.
just wait to find one, you can get all sorts of unbelievable deals on ebay
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
If you like them by all means go for and you'll have them much sooner than waiting around for ages on ebay.

I'm definetly one for instant gratification so if it were me I'd probably go for 'em.
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Quote by Down&Out
Not feeling the linked guitars then?
I'm not familiar with those UK brands; however, they may be absolute modding gems. Usually, the inexpensive models have less than desirable fret dressing and/or neck feel.

Check them out so you can make an informed decision. Those prices are very attractive! I just change the £ to $ and call it even.

Quote by Ippon
I'm not familiar with those UK brands; however, they may be absolute modding gems. Usually, the inexpensive models have less than desirable fret dressing and/or neck feel.

Check them out so you can make an informed decision. Those prices are very attractive! I just change the £ to $ and call it even.

Well i was planning to have it professionally set up anyway, for £80 i can have it completely looked over and have the frets dressed. They do look lovely.
It's maybe worth looking into a Vintage Tele copy or something.

I hate running the risk of sounding like a total Vintage fanboy but they really are pretty smart guitars. I was actually having a look online lastnight and saw a couple kicking about on Ebay. Wilkinson hardware etc so if you can get one v.cheap on Ebay it might be what yer after.
Yamaha Pacifica 112!!!
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB