I don't know if there's already a thread for this...

But I wanted to know opinions on strap locks versus cliplocks. I've used some kind of strap lock on my Tradition for a long time, but that's because the guy I bought it from had put them on there.

I started using DiMarzio clip lock straps about a year ago, and I have to say I'm really impressed.

Thoughts?
I think Cliploks are a pile of shit.

The straps they have on them are the cheapest of cheap, you can't completely remove them from the guitar so they swirl and scratch the finish in the case, and if you have a nitrocellulose finish they also stain it.

Schallers have never let me down. I'll easily pay $50 for peace of mind on my $3200 guitar.

Hell, even on a $500 guitar it'd be worth it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Whiskey Tango
Schallers all the way!

+1, and you can definitely tell the difference between the Schaller brand and cheaper knock-offs. I have a cheaper set on my LP (can't remember what brand the locks are) and sometimes they're really hard to remove. I have a set of Schallers on my Strat and they slide off like a hot knife through butter.
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender American Special Strat
Assorted Boss and Hardwire pedals
Vox AC15C1
I actually just got a set of Dimarzio locking straps, i'm pretty happy with them so far, as far as the guitar staying on while i'm shredding at least. My guitar is already pretty scratched up, so they can't do too much more damage to it anyway.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
i just use the right sized washer around the existing strap button.
cheap as chips, and the strap will be going nowhere.
^ But again, the problem of not removing the strap without fiddling with the button.

Plus it looks cheap as chips as well.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
since i play mostly hardcore and emo, i'm not too worried about how my gear looks.
my amp doesn't have a single ding on it, but my guitar has quite a few of them. Does it take away from playibility? Nope. Does the guitar not fall? Yes. So far i'm happy with them. I don't need an amazing strap, if I had gotten something else it probably would have been a plain black strap anyway.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ But again, the problem of not removing the strap without fiddling with the button.

Plus it looks cheap as chips as well.

that's true, but who pays attention to the beauty of strap locks anyway?
they're tiny.

function over form for strap locks, i think.
The cliplocks are generally poor, you can't go wrong with the Schallers. Although, they stick out a bit, which is a problem when paired with the Gibsons that have the front strap lock on the back of the guitar, at the bottom of the neck.

The screw things they have on some Gretsch's are good.
I've been buying these for $10/pair shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2X-CHROME-STRAP-LOCKS-LOCKING-SET-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-/370417208293?pt=Guitar_Accessories

I've bought 5 sets so far. The only issue is that the inside dia of some of the locks isn't consistant and won't fit over the button of other sets. So I set them aside and will deal with it on a later order. They are easy to take off and on so I can switch my favorite straps around easily. And they are very secure.
Quote by DManTech
+1, and you can definitely tell the difference between the Schaller brand and cheaper knock-offs. I have a cheaper set on my LP (can't remember what brand the locks are) and sometimes they're really hard to remove. I have a set of Schallers on my Strat and they slide off like a hot knife through butter.

So schallers are the way to go?
Gear:
ZT Lunchbox Amp
Schecter C-1+ Diamond Series
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Digitech Whammy
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
EHX Pocket Metal Muff
EHX Small Stone
EHX Memory Toy
EHX Holy Grail
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
schallers are nice. i bought ernie ball superlocks for my epi and they work great. going a ear strong they look new and hold like a vice. they were 25 i think for the gold finish.

i dont care if my guitar used is worth 400. my thoughts, if that les drops the neck is gone. if teh neck is gone, price is more than the guitar.

aka - my guitar is FUBARed...i have no guitar. 25 bucks? heck yes.
Quote by madh4ttr
I like the dunlop straplocks

Same. My guitar isn't going anywhere with them on. The locks are a must have in my book.
Quote by diofan88
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Every band is a lotr metal band. Metal is like Guile's theme for Lotr.
Quote by mcjosh
Whoever thinks Japan deserved the tsunami in any way should just go away and fucking die alone.
i have a white dimarzio strap with cliplocks, and i haven't had it for long enough to really judge, but it hasn't hurt the finish on my guitar yet. it holds the strap on just fine.
I have Schallers on all my guitars. One set is well over 20 years old, they as good as the day I bought them and they've never let me down.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by kraftmacaroni
i have a white dimarzio strap with cliplocks, and i haven't had it for long enough to really judge, but it hasn't hurt the finish on my guitar yet. it holds the strap on just fine.

Do you have Nitrocellulose finish and a hard case?

I have a dimarzio cliplock fitted to my Ibanez RG, had it for maybe a couple of years now, nice and simple, works well, never been an issue or damaged my guitar and looks great too!

Edit: reposting pic, forgot to size it for forum.

That's what cheap nylon shit does to a nitrocellulose finish if you leave it lying against the guitar.

I have 6 of those marks on the white LP from the previous owner shipping it with one of those abominable Cliploks on it.

It also scratched the hell out of the neck at the heel joint from rubbing against it..

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Aug 9, 2010,