Hi everyone,
I need to find a good web site for guitar lessons.
I do not have any decent guitar teachers in my area so the only other way I can think of is to use the internet.

I am just starting to learn so a site which starts at the basics and builds from there would be great.

I would like to learn some basic theory as well as the practical side, but I DONT want to be taught nursery rhymes. I know I will lose interest if I have to learn them.

Cheers and thanks

Excentric
Ibanez SA260
Peavey Vypyr
Check out Metal Method’s DVD course. No nursery rhymes, no folk music, no dumbed-down blues songs by guys only Berklee grads have ever heard of. Just hard rock and metal by a guy who has actually been in hard rock and metal bands. Comes with PDF tab and animated scorch files along with a support message board.
Hi Excentric and welcome to UG.

There are a number of "teach yourself music theory" books out there; once you know the modal part you really only need to know your fretboard and assorted techniques (most of which are easy to teach yourself).

Also, UG!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Ghefly
http://www.justinguitar.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe

His youtube lessons are literally the best out there, he does theory lesson, genre/style lessons, song lessons etc. etc.

Definitely worth checking out.

Yes, I agree. Youtube is full of really great guitar learning lessons. Some even have the tabs that appear on the screen as you play the notes.

Check out Youtube. But remember, they usually focus on very specific songs, so you have to have some very specific ideas on what songs you want to learn ahead of time.

ron666
Jamplay is definitely worth the cash.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
do what I did, gain some scars along the way with my proven 4-step program:

1. Buy a book
2. Burn the book in a furious fit of effing rage
3. Put in your favorite CD
4. Learn by ear

MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Another justinguitar recommendation here. It might also be worth grabbing a copy of his music theory for beginners book. It's really easy to follow and helps explain a significant amount of music theory, at least enough to give you a grounding.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
I have always liked using Youtube. You can find all sorts of helpful lessons on there.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
UG actually has some excellent lessons. there are some shoddy things, and things that arent well put together, since most of it is user generated content.

for theory, try this lesson: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html
i havent really read through it in a long time, but from what i remember it is fantastic. i used to post a lot in the MT forum (they talk theory) and thats what most people were recomended to start with. it doesnt exactly go in the order i would choose, and it is focused more on the theory than guitar application, but its still good.

i would work through that as you go with whatever playing focused course you decide on