Alright, i want to build my first but it won't look like a conventional/regular guitar such as a strat/LB/V/X/w/e. I've seen a guitar body made a guitar out of Castrol oil can (State Radio).

I want to do something similar but instead of an oil can, pretty much use a box of alder or whatever wood sounds appealing to me/anyone who recommends it.
So...for example, a box looking body made out of "lmnoq" wood, single pickup (Humbucker/p-90/single coil) and a neck from warmoth or something.

What would i have to do for the pickup? just carve/excavate a space good enough for whatever pickup i want? ((would that be a pot??))

Thanks, and in terms of experience with woodmaking or anything...pretty much nothing.
So... you're going to basically build a squared off acoustic/electric?

I'm not being a dick, just trying to make sure I got this right
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
haha, not sure yet. would this guitar just be awful? i want to make/build/customize a guitar but i thought of this and wondered if it would be any good. I'm fine in ordering a body from Warmoth, but i thought if i was going to copy a strat/LP that i might as well save up and get a legit one.

^^That's my reasoning in going for a unique body...haha, weird
Im not trying to be a dick either but i noticed you said "woodmaking"..... so no experience in planting trees
Honestly i just want to paint my own guitar uniquely.
EDIT: and my cheap strange odd solution to that was to build a box guitar, which has been shutdown my most, denied by all.
Last edited by FreshouttaMS9 at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by stratsmash
Im not trying to be a dick either but i noticed you said "woodmaking"..... so no experience in planting trees

Lol.

You could always buy a "body blank" and cut out a design you like if you don't have skills/time/tools to make a 100% custom body. Just because you're not making a super awesome custom doesn't mean it has to be like all the others.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
You really can do anything you want with a custom guitar. That's why it's a custom guitar. In the end, it will not be cheaper than going out and buying one, keep that in mind. But that is why people do it, not because it is cheaper, but because it is your guitar, that you made it by hand and it is, to you in every specification, your dream guitar.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA