Page 1 of 2
I recently started karate under the Shotokan discipline and will be testing for my yellow belt soon. Not exactly a high achievement, but I'm really enjoying it and my sensei is a badass.

Anybody else in The Pit practice Karate? Kung Fu? Jiujutsu? Taekwondo? Judo? Ninjustsu? Anything outside of the Pro Wrestling Thread? Any benefits aside from being able to defend yourself?
Everytime I watch a
Tony Jaa
Jackie Chan
Jet Li
Sammo Hung
Donnie Yen
-movie.
Also when I watch this show called Kenichi and in my dreams
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

That game had the best synthesis system ever.

Quote by firebird103
I'm pretty sure you just won the thread. I can confirm everything you just said as well being a heavily qualified geek myself....

Congrats sir
Quote by StopReadingThis
does playing Mortal Kombat alot count?

Yes. Everyone knows that playing games makes people able to do batshit crazy stunts. Like the 6-year-olds who watch Power Rangers and then try to change into robots and make the cat asplode.
I practice Kenpo !
PANTERA
Quote by KGB_INC
none. i've never had sex.
probably never will.

My Gear:
B.C Rich Warlock
32 year old antique yamaha accustic
Peavey Ovation
Peavey Millenium Bxp 5 string Bass
2000 Watt Peavey PA system
Line 6 Floor Pod
I did Tae Kwon Do and quite some others, only thing i can say is explore before you settle for a specific. Every art has its own personality.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by FryingNemo
I recently started karate under the Shotokan discipline and will be testing for my yellow belt soon. Not exactly a high achievement, but I'm really enjoying it and my sensei is a badass.

Anybody else in The Pit practice Karate? Kung Fu? Jiujutsu? Taekwondo? Judo? Ninjustsu? Anything outside of the Pro Wrestling Thread? Any benefits aside from being able to defend yourself?

**** that man. Of course it's a great achievement as long as you keep training.

I reached blue belt in ITF Taekwon Do and had to stop because it collided with my hours at college. I was lucky to have a great trainer. Omar Merodio, 7th dan, and direct student of Hector Marano, 9th dan, who is a big figure in ITF.

I liked it. I wouldn't say that it helps me defend myself (you don't want to throw a roundkick at a robber), but I found it to be a great sport. It for sure improved my reflexes and how I react to sudden events.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Aug 8, 2010,
No, however it could be something I'd look into in the future to help keep fit and what not.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
I did Tae Kwon Do and quite some others, only thing i can say is explore before you settle for a specific. Every art has its own personality.

The Taekwondo dojo in my area burned down. On of the guys who attended that dojo is in my karate class. Etiquettte must be a big deal in Taekwondo. The guy responded to everything the sensei says like he's speaking to a drill sergeant.

Quote by urik
**** that man. Of course it's a great achievement as long as you keep training.

What I meant to say was that I didn't start a thread to talk about how cool I am because I've been doing karate for seven weeks. I'm proud to have the approtubnity to test and would like to continue doing this for a long time.

For the guys who practice this stuff, does practical application come with time and training, or is it a naturally reactive mind that allows you to react properly?
Last edited by FryingNemo at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by FryingNemo
The Taekwondo dojo in my area burned down. On of the guys who attended that dojo is in my karate class. Etiquettte must be a big deal in Taekwondo. The guy responded to everything the sensei says like he's speaking to a drill sergeant.

Depends on the trainer. My first trainer actually kicked a parent off an exam because the parent's cellphone rang and he accepted the call. He then proceeded to lecture the other parents on how they don't respect their own children by not turning off the cellphones, and then kept on with the exam. However, he was very cool on other times and sometimes organized free trainings on the beach, etc...
Then I trained for two weeks with other trainer after moving city, and he was very chill. Then I changed trainer again, and the other one kept a lot of focus on respect and all that too.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I want to do Krav Maga. Its practical, and it's a helluva workout. But, finding a teacher is not the easiest thing. Especially in rural Pennsylvania.

Past that, nothing has really caught my interest.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I got my black belt in taekwondo last year. My trainer was pretty strict but he was more lenient with the older people.
cat
Quote by valennic
I want to do Krav Maga. Its practical, and it's a helluva workout. But, finding a teacher is not the easiest thing. Especially in rural Pennsylvania.

Past that, nothing has really caught my interest.

Don't know much about Krav Maga. Saw an episode of Simpsons where some chick kept kneeing Bart in the nads. Called it Krav Maga. Looked pretty rad.

Quote by guitarxo
My trainer was pretty strict but he was more lenient with the older people.

My sensei likes to threaten the hyper kids who don't listen. "I WILL get the bamboo pole out! "
Last edited by FryingNemo at Aug 8, 2010,
I've done muay thai for about six months now, I'm really liking it, but it's a very technical fighting style, and the teacher will really beat on you if he sees something wrong with your form.
Quote by FryingNemo
For the guys who practice this stuff, does practical application come with time and training, or is it a naturally reactive mind that allows you to react properly?

It's kind of a combination. Techniques in class, fine. Techniques outside of class, a whole new world. Trust me on that part. You have to have that be ready for the impossible mind set. But of course it is always neccessary to focus. sorry if i haven't exactly answered your question
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
general martial arts for about 9 years now, its kept me in shape, shaped me as a person and taught me many life lessons, and has been a huge part of my life for a whhile now!

going to uni in september though, and im staying in res which is like 2 and a half to 3 hours away so i wont be able to attend my academy:/ have to keep training by myself or with anyone i can find up there!

keep it up and after a while youll know if its the right thing for you or not!
ive been doing Taekowdo for 7 years. im a second degree black belt so if anyone really messes with me i tear thier jaw outta thier skull.
Be Swift
4 Years of Aikido, 3 of Karate.

Thinking about getting back into karate if everything works out.

As for self defense, the best way to develop it is sparing. Spar spar spar spar spar.
Quote by The_Sophist
4 Years of Aikido, 3 of Karate.

Thinking about getting back into karate if everything works out.

As for self defense, the best way to develop it is sparing. Spar spar spar spar spar.

I'm sure we'll all get into that after our basics are tight. Right now I'm only attending the beginnner's class and I can attend the advanced class after my yellow belt is won. I expect the sparring will start here. We do a little bit, but it's the very simple and choreographed stuff so the inexperienced guys like me don't get hurt.
I've done Shotokan for a few years now, currently a brown belt, I'd say it's an easy way to get in exercise along with self defense. And I'm pretty sure there's a martial arts thread, just search it. <---Isn't meant to be a searchbar insult.
PSN: Pancakehead3

Add me and say you're from UG
I've practiced karate, judo, some muay thai and jujitsu for years. I even help train folks in karate and judo on occasion at my friend's dojo. I love it.

edit: I've learned a few Shaolin techniques that come in handy as well.
Last edited by -[NiL]- at Aug 9, 2010,
im a black belt in kajukenbo, which has shotokan, jujisu, kenpo and chinese boxing in the mix. i like it cause it has alot of focus on ground training, cause about 90% of all fights end up hitting the ground at some point. so i was trained with alot of quick finish stuff, like wax on, dip the hell out before the cops are called.
I think there's a martial arts thread, or did that not work out?
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Quote by FryingNemo
I'm sure we'll all get into that after our basics are tight. Right now I'm only attending the beginnner's class and I can attend the advanced class after my yellow belt is won. I expect the sparring will start here. We do a little bit, but it's the very simple and choreographed stuff so the inexperienced guys like me don't get hurt.

Then find a freind. I taught a freind some basic strikes, blocks and footwork and we spar all the time. He had no previous training.
Quote by FryingNemo

What I meant to say was that I didn't start a thread to talk about how cool I am because I've been doing karate for seven weeks. I'm proud to have the approtubnity to test and would like to continue doing this for a long time.

Dojo is Japanese - Dojang is the Korean term for training hall.

I did ITF Taekwondo and Hapkido for 8 years when I was younger, and train in Hayashi-Ha Shito-ryu Karate currently.

Couldn't imagine my life without martial arts.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I'd love to start. But I have no money really, that and I can never really bring myself to get over feeling silly starting something akin to Martial Arts.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by turn_the_page93
im a black belt in kajukenbo, which has shotokan, jujisu, kenpo and chinese boxing in the mix. i like it cause it has alot of focus on ground training, cause about 90% of all fights end up hitting the ground at some point. so i was trained with alot of quick finish stuff, like wax on, dip the hell out before the cops are called.

I'd love to know where you got that stat.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Wing Chun, Boxing, Jeet Kune Do, Kendo.
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
Page 1 of 2