I am a guitarist of 10 years but once I started really getting into music and songwriting and theory I found myself getting enamored with basslines and writing more bass riffs than guitar riffs. I just love the groove and feel of bass...so I'm taking the plunge and getting myself a bass guitar. I'm looking for something pretty cheap. I have a pretty good guitar (Gibson LP Studio) but I just got it after 10 years on an Ibanez GIO, which gave me headache after headache, so ideally I'd like a bass of a beginner level and price like the GIO but hopefully of better quality.

I saw the thread in this forum that listed some good beginner basses but just wanted to get some additional input on whether these would be good options (keep in mind I know pretty much zero about basses of any kind :P):

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-LX400-Pro-4String-Electric-Bass?sku=519276

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-J-Bass?sku=519631 (Or the P-bass...not entirely sure what the difference soundwise is?)

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Millennium-BXP-4String-Bass-Guitar?sku=511369

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-B50-Bass-Guitar?sku=512723
Yamaha are about the best cheap basses you can get.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I dont have any first hand experience, but I have heard really good things about the Peavey.
I've only played high end Peavey basses. But I like them a lot. I played the old David Ellefson bass. So if the BXP is anything like it, you'd like it.
The ESP is also nice, my guitarist's little brother owns it. The neck tends to bow a lot from what he says. The Ibanez GSR is also a good bass if you have small hands. The Thunderbird bass is pretty nice but not a lot of people like them. But apparently they last a while. I've heard Squier Affinity basses are poop. So you should look for a Squier standard.

You should also really try out these basses and see which one you like more. That'll make your decision so much easier.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
i started out on a squire p bass. when i go back and play it compared to my fender aerodyne, it sucks, but it helpd me build great finger strength because of its crappy action. you would probably do well with the ol squiy, or any old cheap bass that at leasts plugs in and stays in tune. as far as tone, good technique can go farther than a fancy amp or pickups
"Yes, we do sell out, every single time, everywhere we play." -Jason Newsted

#1 member of the "UG kids are a bunch of retards club" dont PM me
I would really recommend a Yamaha, they have really high quality basses for their price, and they are usually dynamic enough to do just about any style.

If you really want some good suggestions, we would need more information as to the styles of music you want to play with it.
Gear:

Fender Jazz
Spector Legend Custom 5
Yamaha BB415

Fender Bassman 400 Pro
Personally, I love my Silvertone. Cheap, decent tone, best $125 I spent in the past couple years.
Ibanez GSR200, Peavey Millennium BXP, Yamaha RBX170, Squier Vintage Modified Precision or Jazz bass, Squier Classic Vibe Precision or Jazz bass. Those are some of (if not the) best starter basses for $300 or less. Some would include LTD's lower end basses in there as well.

Things to avoid: the Squier Affinity series, Dean, Epiphone (there are good ones, but QC is spotty, and generally poor), Rogue (it's MF's own brand, quality is shoddy), or anything that comes in a starter pack.

Do you have an amp all sorted out yet?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by mtshark
Peavey. 'Nuff said

Second that. Just started out on a Peavey Millennium, active pickup model. Its great, and I've been loving it.

The active model costs around 370 but theres a passive pickup model that is only about 240
Quote by Tostitos
Ibanez GSR200, Peavey Millennium BXP, Yamaha RBX170, Squier Vintage Modified Precision or Jazz bass, Squier Classic Vibe Precision or Jazz bass. Those are some of (if not the) best starter basses for $300 or less. Some would include LTD's lower end basses in there as well.

Things to avoid: the Squier Affinity series, Dean, Epiphone (there are good ones, but QC is spotty, and generally poor), Rogue (it's MF's own brand, quality is shoddy), or anything that comes in a starter pack.

I agree with this except for three points.

1 the RBX170 is complete rubbish. agathis is one of the WORST woods you can use to make a bass from. its softer then basswood and lacks any real punch. this wood is also very easy to dent and bang up, due to its softness. as bright as agathis sounds you might as well grow your hair long and change your name to daisy.

2 GSR200 is also made from agathis, so it has the same problems as the RBX170.

3 The squier affinity series is a lot better then most people think. i own two of the 20 anniversary squiers and they are pretty damn good. the P bass affinity is made from alder (hardwood, unlike the shoddy agathis) which gives you a better balanced tone and a sturdier feel. ya i will admit the QC can vary between two basses, but simply tightening a few screws and a good set up will fix all that.
Quote by Tostitos

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B20-1x12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=481622

Obviously not sure about this either but I've heard good things about Acoustic from a friend I have who plays bass. Just looking for something cheap with solid sound that's good for practicing and jamming....not gigging yet.

As far as styles of music I play, I play mostly rock but not metal...Muse, RHCP, the Strokes, and Franz Ferdinand are among my favorite bands.

Thanks so much for all the advice guys. I'd go to a guitar shop to try one out, but frankly we only have one very small one around here and the selection is extremely poor. Also, I plan on learning to play fingerstyle, which I don't know how to do yet.
Last edited by -Hope- at Aug 9, 2010,
you can also check out youtube and hear a lot of these basses on there.

it may not be perfect but atleast you get an idea of how they sound.
Quote by Alucard817
I agree with this except for three points.

1 the RBX170 is complete rubbish. agathis is one of the WORST woods you can use to make a bass from. its softer then basswood and lacks any real punch. this wood is also very easy to dent and bang up, due to its softness. as bright as agathis sounds you might as well grow your hair long and change your name to daisy.

2 GSR200 is also made from agathis, so it has the same problems as the RBX170.

3 The squier affinity series is a lot better then most people think. i own two of the 20 anniversary squiers and they are pretty damn good. the P bass affinity is made from alder (hardwood, unlike the shoddy agathis) which gives you a better balanced tone and a sturdier feel. ya i will admit the QC can vary between two basses, but simply tightening a few screws and a good set up will fix all that.

The "hardwood" bodies on Squier Affinity's are often agathis, you won't find alder until you get to MIM Fenders. Agathis is a cheaper tonewood, as lightweight and transparent as basswood is. A lot of starter basses are made of the stuff. It doesn't really cause any problems or detract from the bass, and the QC coming from Ibanez and Yamaha is a lot better then that among the Affinity Squiers.

TS, good call on the amp
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
The "hardwood" bodies on Squier Affinity's are often agathis, you won't find alder until you get to MIM Fenders.

funny, both of my affinity's have alder bodies. actually i have yet to find an affinity that uses agathis.

I have found some of the VM/CV models that use agathis though. basswood isnt a bad wood, with the right PU combo. i just prefer something heftier.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Aug 10, 2010,
Quote by smb
Some countries get alder affinities, some get agathis.

what country gets what?
I believe in the US they're alder and in Europe and Australia they're agathis, not sure about other countries.
I would check out the pawn shops find a good used bass of better quality at a good price. I had a Fender jazz mim it wasnt bad and some of the peaveys arnt bad go look around.
Quote by smb
I believe in the US they're alder and in Europe and Australia they're agathis, not sure about other countries.

With Squier's QC I wouldn't be surprised if there was some crossover though. Might depend on the year too.

More on topic, TS are you wiling to go used?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I started out on an affinity P-bass and it was more than good enough. (I know plenty of people who've gigged on them). That said knowing what I know now and choosing again I would probably go Ibanez or Yamaha.
I have the GSR 200, and it was my first bass. It's pretty damn awesome. It sounds good, plays good, and feels good.

One thing I also noticed about this bass...it stays in tune, for a ****ing long time. I practically tune it only once a month

Oh yeah, and it's cheap. Great first bass, IMO.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss