that can play alternative stuff (like Muse), pop stuff (early All American Rejects), and heavier stuff (We Came as Romans, Enter Shikari)?
I was looking at MIM HSS Strats, would that be good?
Sending a dummy to my God.

Yeah, that would do what you need. if you stretched the budget, I would suggest the PRS SE series.
look for used MIA strats (HSS) or a MIA tele with a humbucker. You could probably find an MIA one for around 500.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
I'd suggest a used fender lead III if you can find one on ebay.
basically sounds like a strat or humbucker tele since it's a fender with coil tapped humbuckers. another setting sounds like a jaguar.
hard to find but sits around the 400$ on ebay.

strats and tele's with humbuckers sound completely different btw. the tele would be good for the heavier stuff. strats might work on ur all american rejects sound, but i know muse plays with humbuckers and most heavier bands use them.

Perhaps some kind of ephiphone les paul or sg?
A HSS Strat would work wonderfully. Great versatility. Quality control is pretty consistant too, but I would play one before you buy it.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I've also been looking at this Squier: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Telecaster-SSH-512574-i1172568.gc
I think it's beautiful, but can it handle everything all the styles I put, and is it good quality for the price? Also, anyone know anything about this Tele? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-J5-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-105466809-i1448363.gc

A lot of Squiers get pretty bad raps, but there are some pretty nice models. I don't have any first hand experiences with those but they do have a different Tele that is great. Sounds I have heard from them and from reviews they sound pretty nice.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Tele-Custom-II-Electric-Guitar-with-P90-Pickups?sku=519584

They have p-90s in them which are great. Once again those would be very versatile. But if you want to spend 500 on a Tele with p-90s, buy a used MIM one and upgrade them with real p90s. Then youve got yourself a hell of a guitar
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
dude, thats an agathis body tele.. check out the guitar first.. i would not spend my money on agathis..

besides, the dude at the top wants something of a heavier sound.. m not sure whether a strat can handle that.. u'd need a mahogany slab with humbuckers for that if u'd ask me.. them MIM teles & strats r all maple, hence the distortion won't be as 'full' on the low end as a les paul.. in fact, maple+HB & mahogany+HB generate different sorts of distortion.. of course ur personal taste comes here..