So usually I play the opening riff to Purple Haze by muting the the lower strings with my palm and the higher ones with my fret hand. Watching Jimi do it, he seems to just be hovering his hand over the strings. Is it possible to mute all unwanted noise with just your fret hand and pick with your hand hovering above the strings?
I mean in general. Could I play solos with individual notes with gain to the max and still mute all unwanted noise with my fret hand?
I mean in general. Could I play solos with individual notes with gain to the max and still mute all unwanted noise with my fret hand?

No. The bass strings will start ringing and then you'll be screwed.

If you get the hang of things you can get away with less and less muting but you should learn to do it really well before pushing your luck.
keep the palm of your picking hand within an inch of your bridge, and mute the bass strings with the palm of your hand... then use your other hand to cover the other strings. and try to learn not to even hit them in the first place... i'm not sure how this riff goes it's been a while since i've listened to hendrix. i can recall the song just fine.
stevie ray vaughan does a lot of that. its a personal preferance. He does it on cold shot and pride and joy too. its really how you want to attack the note.

and what do you guys reccommend if you're doing powerchords on rooted on the A string? i do my power chords fretting with my index, ring and pinky, then mute the low e with my middle finger and the higher strings with my pinky. sometimes i get harmonics when i do my middle finger though and it always sounds bad =\ any ideas?
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

More guitar, less ultimate-guitar!
Use the top of your index finger to mute the low E. Combine with middle finger for double awesome muting
oh nice! double awesome muting! hahaha thanks
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

More guitar, less ultimate-guitar!