Hey, so I'm getting rid of my Peavey Valveking 212. The only problem is that the lead channel just doesn't work. I know it is one of the tubes in the amp but i don't know which one or how to fix it or how much it would cost. Help?

And I have 2 amps I'm looking at buying, they are:
Bugera 1990 w/4X12 Behringer cab w/Bugera speakers. 500$ or 350$ just the head
Peavey 5150 212 EVH Special. (Needs new tubes soon) 550$
I'm wondering which one of these would be better for metalcore (think parkway drive)
and if either of them would be good for metalcore anyway. I would prefer to get the 1990, just wondering if that is a good idea or not.

So if you could answer these questions (especially the first one) that would help me out alot.
Thanks in advance
5150, by far. The 1990 is a clone of a Marshall JCM900, and is, from what I've heard, pretty bad.
And, for metalcore, a JCM900 wouldnt be very good IMO. The 5150/6505 is pretty much the go to amp for most core bands.
Last edited by littlephil at Aug 9, 2010,
Just buy one preamp valve and try it in different positions until you find the fault. If one has gone they are probably all on their way out anyway. The VK comes with crappy valves in the first place anyway. Just buy a set of JJ's and buy a balanced one for the phase inverter. (that will be the one closest to the power valves).
The 5150 would be a fine choice. If the 1990 was a clone of a JCM900 SL-X or Mk3 it would do the job well too but I don't think that's what they are a clone of are they? Does anybody know exactly what model it is a clone of?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The 1990 is an even more trebly clone of the Dual Reverb, and, if anything, it would probably be a DOWNGRADE from the Valveking. There's a reason a 100w all tube head costs $350, and it's not because it's a great head.

Your V2 tube is shot, OP. V2 is the second tube gain stage of the Valveking, and if your clean channel works, but OD doesn't, swap out the V2.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Mother of God.

The preamp tubes have metal covers over them. Push them in, and turn them to the right, then take the cover off.

Then, unscrew the tube retainer (don't worry, you can't electrocute yourself changing tubes), and gently pull the preamp tube out of its socket. When replacing the tube, make sure the pins line up, and push the new tube in.

Your V2 tube is the middlemost tube, behind the one closest to the power tubes.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Mother of God.

The preamp tubes have metal covers over them. Push them in, and turn them to the right, then take the cover off.

Then, unscrew the tube retainer (don't worry, you can't electrocute yourself changing tubes), and gently pull the preamp tube out of its socket. When replacing the tube, make sure the pins line up, and push the new tube in.

LOL, thanks man
Sorry I'm such a tube noob.
Quote by Raijouta
Mother of God.

not to tread-jack but dont they say the last time you power down you amp before changing tubes your supposed to not use the standby switch so it releases all of the electrical charge so you dont get electrocuted thats what i have heard i could be wrong
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Also, DON'T replace the V2 preamp tube with a JJ brand tube.
Normally JJ's are great tubes, but they come stock in the Valveking alot of the time and just muddy the amp up anyways (it's a super dark amp to begin with).
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Karpet King
not to tread-jack but dont they say the last time you power down you amp before changing tubes your supposed to not use the standby switch so it releases all of the electrical charge so you dont get electrocuted thats what i have heard i could be wrong

That's not how it works on the Valveking. The caps are not self-draining.

At any rate, you can't electrocute yourself by touching the tube sockets.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D