First I let my friend rewire my ESP LTD EC-1000 from active to passive and he screwed up the tone pot and the ground wire. Now I let a los angeles tech do it and after a week he ordered the wrong part when I told him what I want and I found out my friend put Linear pots in the 2 volume knob, I want audio!

With that all said and done, when I get my guitar back from the tech, hopefully working, I want to buy my own soldering gun and things and make my guitar how I want it. I should've just experimented in the beginning.

Anyway my guitar has 2 volume pots and a tone pot. I want to wire the tone pot as a push/pull for coil splitting and I want to get the right pots to make everything sound good.

What parts and soldering gun do you recommend me getting? I want 500k pots and my friend put a ceramic disc cap but Im wondering if another cap might do better for the sound. I've heard good things about allparts.com but I have no idea what to order exactly. Any advice would rock, thanks!
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Why do you need a soldering gun? Lol, I do it the old fashioned way and it works fine.

1. Get a soldering iron, go out in the garage or your unfinished basement, and lay down newspaper.
2. Solder your item.
3. ???
4. Profit*

*I guarantee soldering irons are cheaper than soldering guns is all.

And, yes, I've soldered pickup connections and wires for my guitar. You just take all the guts out and then put em back in. If you need to solder something that goes through the body and doesn't fit right in (like some of the wires between your pickup go through drilled holes in the guitar body), then just throw the newspaper down onto the guitar body and solder carefully.

It ain't too hard. Just don't touch the tip of that soldering iron. Instant 3rd degree burn, and it hurts like a mother.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 9, 2010,
you could do this with any soldering iron i personally have a one which lets you change the wattage from 10-30.
the rest of the parts really depends on what your trying to do.
i usually buy everything off of ebay cause things in bulk are cheap and ive never really had problem with the parts cept a couple bad pots
you might want to look up a wiring diagram for the set up you want and work off of that
btw the pots your looking for the volume are logarithmic pots
Soldering guns suck. Irons are much more nimble, and cheaper so why not? haha as for wiring, you just need to take your center wires of the pickup (the two that are usually just connected together if you have 4 conductor, if you don't then look at a pickup sugurey thread, I made one) and short them to the positive (if you want to use the bottom coil of the bucker) or short to the ground if you want the top coil.
I agree with what's been said. Soldering guns are too powerful for the job and you just end up overheating your solder, if not some of your components too.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Ah I didn't notice I wrote gun. I meant iron, I didn't really know the difference but thank you for clarifying that for me. I don't want to buy the wrong thing! I'll mess around with it when I get back but for soldering I need some solder and just the iron and materials right? I heard I have to tin the iron or something, but I'm not sure.

If all else fails I can just youtube some lessons.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Pretty much:

Soldering Iron
Solder
Wire

Also, Flux, desoldering braid, and wire strippers are very useful too. Tinning the tip is good, as it helps conduct heat so it solders better. It's pretty much just cleaning the tip and putting some solder on it.

My soldering iron I got from my grandma, who used to solder for a living. It is completely unmarked, but gets hotter than any other one I have, and it gets the job done.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Get a soldering iron with a FINE tip, it helps alot to avoid burning the finish and order your parts from this site, they have the proper wire, solder, and a bunch of good parts, I had a hell of a time finding the proper wire and this site had a bunch of it.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/c=nxHrisnVfCOMAr0nOIiaCQpN9/
Tinning the iron simply means melting a small amount of solder on the tip.
For a typical tone pot, ceramic caps are just fine. The cap is sending electrons to ground. They are not going into the signal path so you probably won't notice a difference with a carbon comp or other type of cap (so long as the values are the same.)
Please do tin the tip, makes everything much easier. Soldering braid is ok, but solder suckers kick ass IMHO. Guns DO suck, I used my dads and hated it... any old cheap soldering iron will do you just fine.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+