I'm writing a "concept setlist" (my super-cool way of saying I'm too lame to record an album so I make it a "setlist" instead ) and the way I was writing it, as the moods change for different parts of the story, the genre I'm writing in changes completely. Not in a way like "I can't find a genre that describes The Mars Volta" type of thing, more like "damn, each song on this album is a completely different genre," like I'll be writing a post-hardcore song then the next thing I know I'm writing a psychedelic or progressive song.

Does this sound like a horrible idea? Has anyone ever seen it done before, and if you have, who did it?
It won't sound that different in the end. Same people playing the same instruments together will invariably sound the same.

In terms of "moods", it's called a concept album - an album where all the songs work together to relate to something, in this case "moods", but have been used in many different ways.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
It won't sound that different in the end. Same people playing the same instruments together will invariably sound the same.

In terms of "moods", it's called a concept album - an album where all the songs work together to relate to something, in this case "moods", but have been used in many different ways.

i dont really get what u were trying to say abt the moods, sorry...

im writing it to be like a story, the lyrics and instrumentation kind of narrate whats happening to a character who loses his memory and well some crazy cheese happens, ya know how concept albums can be, never seem to be abt something normal...
Quote by AlanHB

+5

what he said I think makes a lot of sense... I mean, the musicians in your band all should have pretty wide tastes in music to be able to pull that off.

http://www.purevolume.com/StreetlightSanctuary60885/albums/Infusion

I sort of did the same thing with my bands first album.. i wouldn't call it a concept album, There's no story from beginning to end, its just a collection of songs really.. but what I did do similar was explore different genres... you'll find funk, hard rock, blues, pop, psychedelic, dance, etc... Maybe youll find some ideas.
Quote by TMVATDI
i dont really get what u were trying to say abt the moods, sorry...

You asked whether it's been done before, I answered "it's called a concept album" :P

Edit: Concept albums don't have to tell a story through the lyrics, it's more that a certain collection of songs were picked out to be in a certain order together for an overall purpose.
Soundcloud
Quote by pepsi1187
+5

what he said I think makes a lot of sense... I mean, the musicians in your band all should have pretty wide tastes in music to be able to pull that off.

http://www.purevolume.com/StreetlightSanctuary60885/albums/Infusion

I sort of did the same thing with my bands first album.. i wouldn't call it a concept album, There's no story from beginning to end, its just a collection of songs really.. but what I did do similar was explore different genres... you'll find funk, hard rock, blues, pop, psychedelic, dance, etc... Maybe youll find some ideas.

sounds cool, and yea we do have pretty wide tastes haha most of us are into almost everything except rap...thats probably pretty much the only genre that all 6 members (including myself) hate, haha

@alanhb, my question was more like "has an album ever been made in which each song doesn't fit into the same genre?" but i know that was really poorly worded. ive listened to a lot of concept albums, crossing genres isnt something i've found to be a defining characteristic of them.

edit: ohmygod wow, i typed all that before i clicked on the link! haha im sorry...
what i meant "sounds cool" was the idea u talked abt
Last edited by TMVATDI at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by TMVATDI

@alanhb, my question was more like "has an album ever been made in which each song doesn't fit into the same genre?" but i know that was really poorly worded. ive listened to a lot of concept albums, crossing genres isnt something i've found to be a defining characteristic of them.

Well then I'll just refer to my original point - it's not going to sound as different as you think. Have you heard The Beatles White Album? That crosses many different genres, every song sounds like The Beatles.

If you wanted it to focus on different "Moods" leading to the genre changes, I would argue it's a concept album.
Soundcloud
I see no problem with this at all, I'm probably going to end up doing something like this.

On the topic of whether it's been done before, I would say a band like the GazettE are a great example of how it can work, genre wise they're all over the place, going from pop punk to metalcore to funk rock to deathcore within albums, but it's good music so it doesn't really matter.
Just write whatever you want, don't worry about genres too much, even though they might sound quite different to you, they probably won't to everyone else.
Quote by AlanHB
Well then I'll just refer to my original point - it's not going to sound as different as you think. Have you heard The Beatles White Album? That crosses many different genres, every song sounds like The Beatles.

If you wanted it to focus on different "Moods" leading to the genre changes, I would argue it's a concept album.

yeah its definitely a concept album, i wasnt saying its not, i just wouldnt consider genre changes to be a characteristic that defines whether or not an album is a concept album.

so far i think what ive written sounds pretty different, i have all8 songs kind of started, some more complete than others, and if you heard them all played consecutively you'd know its the same people playing, but if you heard them all at different times, the only similarities you'd think of are that its the same singer, and most songs include a violin and trombone, other than that, if you heard all these songs at completely different times, it'd sound like at least 3 different bands, or at least it would in my opinion. ill upload it all here when i can record it, it just might take a hella long time cuz ive got no recording equipment or anything

im not saying i did that on purpose or anything, like "oh im so cool i can write in a few different genres" its just this phenominon (which i may've spelled retardedly) i noticed happening probably due to how i have a very diverse taste in music and wanted to mess around with everything that i like.
^^Did you just ignore my post, then?
As long as the songs are good, the genre doesn't matter, really.

Also, I hope you don't think this is a new idea, covering a lot of genres in one album, I could name a few bands who've done it, and as long as there's some coherance and continuanty, the vocals in this case, then don't worry about exploring different styles.
Quote by SilentHeaven109
^^Did you just ignore my post, then?
As long as the songs are good, the genre doesn't matter, really.

Also, I hope you don't think this is a new idea, covering a lot of genres in one album, I could name a few bands who've done it, and as long as there's some coherance and continuanty, the vocals in this case, then don't worry about exploring different styles.

sorry haha heated conversation going on with alanhb

yeah to be honest its not even an idea, its just an accident, i dont exactly try to write all these different genres, its just that whenim influenced by something ill usually ask this site "how can i sound like that?" and it ends up being a little part of what i write and it turns out being like 5 different genres in 1 album haha
Quote by TMVATDI
sorry haha heated conversation going on with alanhb

yeah to be honest its not even an idea, its just an accident, i dont exactly try to write all these different genres, its just that whenim influenced by something ill usually ask this site "how can i sound like that?" and it ends up being a little part of what i write and it turns out being like 5 different genres in 1 album haha

Aha I didn't mean to suggest you were doing it on purpose just to be different or something, your posts just had the vibe of "This is has never been done before, am I allowed to do this?" and I'm saying it has been done before, and it is allowed

I honestly wish more people would do something like it, I personally get bored with listening to bands that just play one style, that's probably why I've grown to love artists like Gackt, X Japan and the GazettE, because they cover so many different genres.

Just go for it, man, I would like to hear how this turns out when you're finished
Quote by SilentHeaven109
Aha I didn't mean to suggest you were doing it on purpose just to be different or something, your posts just had the vibe of "This is has never been done before, am I allowed to do this?" and I'm saying it has been done before, and it is allowed

I honestly wish more people would do something like it, I personally get bored with listening to bands that just play one style, that's probably why I've grown to love artists like Gackt, X Japan and the GazettE, because they cover so many different genres.

Just go for it, man, I would like to hear how this turns out when you're finished

yeah im almost done writing it, then im gonna introduce it all to my band, rehearse it for a few months, and then use it as a setlist, if i can get it somehow recorded (which maybe hopefully i can by like the end of the school year) ill upload it all here