So, recently, I've been considering, instead of dropping $1,820 on separate occasions for a new delay($120), wah($160), flanger($80), a POG2($325) and Freeze($120), a whammy pedal($150), and a few new distortions, a fuzz or two, and a few overdrives($130, $150, $80, $100, $175, $130, $100 - I'm a pedal fanatic, but I'm an avid distortion pedal fetishist - Never go to a gig without a tubescreamer and a RAT, bare minimum), I'd bite the proverbial bullet and buy a Multi-FX unit since I don't have that kind of money to throw on stuff I may not even use that much, saving me at least a thousand dollars and cutting my must-buy list down to a Freeze, maybe a POG2 someday, and depending on the Mulfi-FX unit, a Whammy.

I plan to A/B the specific units in-stores, but I wanted to get GG&A's opinions as well, as you guys have never steered me wrong in the past;

1. Boss ME-25 - $200 - Pros: Metal casing. Boss makes a stomp box for everything traditional, and based on the Roland(Who Boss currently owns) Cubes, it'll have licensed models of what it doesn't. Tap-tempo. A looper. - Cons: No USB. Interface seems a little sterile, simplistic, which could be a nuisance, as I'm willing to spend time fiddling at home to get a great sound for a gig.

2. Digitech RP-355 - $167 - Pros: A lot of stuff, including a Whammy pedal, which'd take that off my "I need this" list. USB connectivity for A. recording when a loud tube amp isn't advisable and B. Much easier preset programming on-computer. Looper. A friend of mine uses one of these for recording and gigs, and he loves it. - Cons: Doesn't seem to have anything other than gain and volume controls for the amp models. Plastic casing does not instill confidence that it will stand up to my 200+ lbs. slamming down on it with size 13 fury. Seems like it has a cluttered(Too many options, not enough control over them) UI. Remember my buddy who loves his? I have another buddy who's had one for a few years, and he hates his.

3. Line 6 Floor POD Plus - $200 - Pros: The PODs seem to be where it all began with amp/effect emulation in multi-FX units. An actual EQ. The pedal setup seems decently thought-out. Tap-tempo. - Cons: Wherever I hear good of Line 6's PODs, I immediately hear just as much bad. Once more, plastic casing, which is about as much a turn-off from a pedal for me as a guitar that doesn't keep tuning. No looping. No USB.

4. Vox Tonelab ST - $200 - Pros: Metal casing. I've heard very little bad about Vox's modeling technology, and what bad I've heard, based on the good, seems like people who didn't read the manual and don't get it. USB connectivity, which kicks ass for the same reasons as the Digitech, and it adds a group of tonesmiths on Vox's sites who share user-generated patches for download and transfer. It could be a gimmick, but as a tube guy, the 12AX7 in there does have me wondering if this actually can sound naturalish. EQ. For the most part, controls seem to make sense. - Cons: Seems somewhat stripped-down next to the others on here. How the hell do you replace that tube when it dies? And does it still run when it does? Multi-function/mode knobs seem like it could get a little confusing before familiarizing.

So, any thoughts? As always, any and all replies are greatly appreciated.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Maybe you should look into a rackmount unit with a midi controller to have in the loop (tc g major 2/used g major/rocktron Xpression that type of thing)?
Just a thought. Most of these will do a better job with effects then modeller type floor units with effects that are more or less for beginners to discover what sounds they are after or home recording.
What amp are you using atm?
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Aug 9, 2010,
If the RP-255 can stand up to my 250 pounds of size 15 fury, I can't imagine that it's big brother would do any worse. Sad to say, I don't have experience with any of the other pedals, but the RP's pretty nice as far as tweaking and recording goes. Sounds pretty damn good once you get everything dialed in, too.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
I have the RP500, and it's wonderful. Not perfect, but pretty damn good. Admittedly it has a metal chassis and skin, so it's very strong, but I'd imagine that the 355 is fairly tough too. That would be my recommendation, unless you can stretch your budget to get the 500.

Note: the RP500 does have a pretty painful latency when recording over USB - you have to be a bit tricky if you want to record while listening to music off the computer.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by coolstoryangus
Maybe you should look into a rackmount unit with a midi controller to have in the loop (tc g major 2/used g major/rocktron Xpression that type of thing)?
Just a thought. Most of these will do a better job with effects then modeller type floor units with effects that are more or less for beginners to discover what sounds they are after.
What amp are you using atm?

I've never actually looked into rackmount systems before, so I know little to none about them. Could you enlighten me?

And at the moment, I'm using a Fender Blues Junior, though I recorded the album with the amp sims in Garageband, so I use modeling as well when an amp isn't applicable.

Quote by kaosxrocker
If the RP-255 can stand up to my 250 pounds of size 15 fury, I can't imagine that it's big brother would do any worse. Sad to say, I don't have experience with any of the other pedals, but the RP's pretty nice as far as tweaking and recording goes. Sounds pretty damn good once you get everything dialed in, too.

This is a fair point. As a matter of curiosity though, how long have you had it? I'm looking to get at least five years out of it to at least get me through college without filling my floor with a bunch of different pedals to be used for random things here and there to(And to drive my roommate mad), so if you've had it for only a few months, I may have to take that with a grain of salt.

Quote by seemeel
I have the RP500, and it's wonderful. Not perfect, but pretty damn good. Admittedly it has a metal chassis and skin, so it's very strong, but I'd imagine that the 355 is fairly tough too. That would be my recommendation, unless you can stretch your budget to get the 500.

Well, retail $500 is out of the question. However, I do work for a subsidiary of Guitar Center, and get stuff at essentially cost, so it may be doable. What did you have in mind?

Note: the RP500 does have a pretty painful latency when recording over USB - you have to be a bit tricky if you want to record while listening to music off the computer.

That could be a problem, as, while not a dealbreaker, one thing I really wanted from this thing was the ability to use it in place of my M-Audio interface to connect to a computer so I could finally use a wah with my recordings when I can't use an amp.

if you need only effects, i would give the line 6 m13 a try

these cheaper ones i do not have any opinion on other than a boss ME 70

the boss GT-10 is so tweakable (which is its biggest downfall)
I say go with the pod, but if possible, try to find a pod x3 live used.

the pods are far superior to any other multieffect ive ever used. the ones ive used most extensively are my pod, and one of my friends with a gt-10 and one with a rp1000 (i think). the gt-10 has nothing on the pod, the sound is much better. only downside of the pod is it doesnt have a looper like a gt-10 or other multieffects do. about the rp1000 series, lets just ignore that one if you get what i mean..

the x3 live has usb and can be used as your computer's sound card so you can hear your computer and your guitar through the same headphones.

I picked mine up in pristine condition for $350, and im almost certain i could have haggled lower.

get'm, tiger.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by necrosis1193

Cons: No USB. Interface seems a little sterile, simplistic, which could be a nuisance, as I'm willing to spend time fiddling at home to get a great sound for a gig.

The ME-25 does have a USB for recording mate. I bought one because I wanted to see what pedals I would use if I were to buy them separately. I'm still pretty much a beginner, and it's been great for finding my feet and I'm in no hurry to change it. I don't use the built in pre amps, because I like the sound of the amp I already have.

The only thing I don't like is that when you save your sounds, you can't just access a certain number. Say you're in saved sound one, you can't just access five. You have to go 2-3-4-5. I find that a bit of a pain, but as I don't gig or anything, it doesn't matter so much for me. If you were taking it to a gig, you'd have to be pretty clever with setting up your sound bank to line up with the songs you're playing.

Paul
Line 6 M13 or M9. There are literally no other Multi-FX in that price range that compare, aside from TC Electronic's stuff. You'll need to buy an expression pedal separately, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 9, 2010,
I see POD XT Lives on my local craigslist going for around 220$. I picked up an X3 Live used for 300$, but it's the only one used I've seen put up for sale. The XT's are more common.
I played with a Tonelab ST for a while. It does sound good but the user interface is pretty spartan and the FX have limited parameter settings. Between the two I would opt for the RP355. The looper on the RP355 doesn't work with the drum machine, but since you didn't mention the drum machine it may not be important to you.
I'm not a fan of Multi-FX. I can't speak for the rest of the pedals you listed, but stay away from the Boss ME series. I had an ME-50 for years. It sounded great to my inexperienced ears when I first bought it, but I soon realized that it sounded horrible.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Line6 XT Live is built like a tank and has pretty much everything you need, I use it all the time for practice, recording and gigs.
The RP355 with the X edit gives you a lot more than gain and level settings. You also get EQ adjustments...Bass , mid, and treb, with both the mid, and treb being parametric EQs (you get to pick what frequency your adjusting.

This is a vid of the 150...the 355 just has a LOT more stuff to play with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKCiKGlvDFo&feature=related

As mentioned, the lag time when recording is an issue...just use headphones when recording (plugging into the 355)
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at Aug 9, 2010,
Alright, thanks for the opinions, experiences, and corrections guys, I really appreciate it. Keep em' coming though; I still want to hear some more. Also on the note of the M9/M13, how much does an expression pedal cost? Because if it has some models for it built-in(Especially whammy, as that'd cut even more off my list), then it's getting bumped up in interest.

Edit: And just to be clear, I'm probably not going to use the unit for overdrive purposes; Fuzz maybe, and distortion if I can't find my RAT for a show, but my tubescreamer is embedded in my chain near-irrevocably. I want it to work for everything else, though.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 9, 2010,
You should give the you Gt-10 a try. It's very tweek-able so you'd have to mess with it for a few hours to know the whole thing. I can get some pretty good distortion out of it through direct recording which I can link you too if you want
The RP1000 has loops for both the amp and pedals. If you want to insert pedals into your chain and possibly use 4 cable method for the amp then the RP1000 is the only one that I know of that has both loops.
Quote by Kyleisthename
You should give the you Gt-10 a try. It's very tweek-able so you'd have to mess with it for a few hours to know the whole thing. I can get some pretty good distortion out of it through direct recording which I can link you too if you want

If I'm going to be recording with this, then I'm getting something like the Digitech modelers or the Tonelab that has a simulated amp so it's not just the dry signal distorted. That said though, the GT-10 does look nice, if a bit unweildy.

Quote by fly135
The RP1000 has loops for both the amp and pedals. If you want to insert pedals into your chain and possibly use 4 cable method for the amp then the RP1000 is the only one that I know of that has both loops.

I've never actually understood what an effects loop does, would you mind elaborating?

The Gt-10 has cab simulation And Mic simulations so its not dry distortion coming cause that would sound like garbage. It connects through usb. And it can reamp a clean guitar signal which I don't think you can do on the pods.
Last edited by Kyleisthename at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by Raijouta
Line 6 M13 or M9. There are literally no other Multi-FX in that price range that compare, aside from TC Electronic's stuff. You'll need to buy an expression pedal separately, though.

This without a doubt. Much more flexible than the TC even
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by necrosis1193
I've never actually understood what an effects loop does, would you mind elaborating?
The loops on a multifx allow you to place external devices in the FX chain. Since everything from compressor to cabinet models is inside the multifx, you can't place a distortion pedal between them unless the multifx has a loop. The multifx has a programmable placement of the loop in the chain (from my experience with the GT-8).

Since a preamp on an amp is like a distortion pedal, the same principle applies. And you also need a FX loop on the amp in order to use the 4CM hookup.
Quote by Raijouta

+1
Quote by fly135
The loops on a multifx allow you to place external devices in the FX chain. Since everything from compressor to cabinet models is inside the multifx, you can't place a distortion pedal between them unless the multifx has a loop. The multifx has a programmable placement of the loop in the chain (from my experience with the GT-8).

Since a preamp on an amp is like a distortion pedal, the same principle applies. And you also need a FX loop on the amp in order to use the 4CM hookup.

Ah. So then I'd need to put it through the effects loop and program it to go in the overdrive's place to get my tubescreamer to play nice with the modeler?

Also, looking at the M9 and M13 with how many suggestions of them people are giving, what expression pedal should I look at? I've never needed an external expression pedal before, so I have no idea. And just as well, I can't find anything on it's page about wah/pitch shift/volume pedal functionality with the M9 hooked to an expression pedal, am I just missing it or do I have to go with the M13 to get that?

If you want any FX to go in front of your TS (like compressor, wah, env filter), then it needs to go in the loop. You should d/l and read the manual about chain programming. Not everything can be freely moved around.
Quote by Raijouta

**** YEAH
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aVgSZl714g

Let me just say God Bless Gearmanndude and his ability to actually understand and explain how every pedal(Except the Digitech whammy ), as well as Line 6's site clarifying that the M9 indeed does have a whammy and wah model. I now understand why so many of you guys suggested this thing with a passion(Unlike me, you actually knew a decent amount about it). With my discount, I think I can tell you that one of these, with an expression pedal, will be my next buy.

I have a Digitech RP-7. It has an ax12...blanking on the name now... tube and sounds pretty dam good. its a little older, but you can find them for around 75-100 used. I haven't seen a multieffects with a respectable so you will want to probably get that separate anyways. but that's my 2 cents.