I'm doing some research on bass amps for my bassist. When you use the XLR out on a bass amp does it still drive the speaker, or is all power routed to the house PA? Thanks in advance, you guys rock!
Well that depends on your amp. And it depends on if you're going to a desk or passive speaker as well. I'm pretty sure that the majority of amps would continue to power the load (their speaker(s)) and you only need a small portion of that (<< 1%) to be sent to the desk. Of course, that signal (along with all the others) has to then be amplified and sent to the house speakers.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Yes, it will still power the speakers. The XLR out will split the signal from your preamp between the rest of your amp and whatever you plug that cable into. i'd suggest a PA board.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
Yes, it will still power the speakers. The XLR out will split the signal from your preamp between the rest of your amp and whatever you plug that cable into. i'd suggest a PA board.

This guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
This guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

I use the XLR out on my amp for gigs. when it isn't broken anyway >.>
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by tubatom868686
Yes. Speakon is preferred though in almost all applications

Think you missed the point there, he's referring to the balanced XLR out that many amps have that can be used in place of a separate DI box.

He's not talking about the amp's speaker outputs, just asking if they get disconnected when using the balanced line out.
XLR goes to the mixer for recording/live performance
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E