Page 1 of 4
If you wanted to boost an Epiphone Valve Jr head to the Dream Theater/Megadeth type distortion levels, would boosting it with an overdrive and cranking the volume be enough or would you need a distortion pedal?
what you would need is a different amp. It would most likely need to have more headroom. Unless of course you planned on playing very very quietly.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AxSilentxLine
You won't get Dream Theater from a Valve Jr stop wasting your money and buy a decent amp. It's only ok to flip amps if the amps you get are good

When did I say I planned on buying this amp

I was just curious
Quote by AcousticMirror
what you would need is a different amp. It would most likely need to have more headroom. Unless of course you planned on playing very very quietly.

well im just a bedroom player so playing quietly isn't a problem.

I'm in an "online" band with this guy, we just record stuff for fun. So volume isn't really a problem and it shouldn't be for several years
Quote by AxSilentxLine
why would you ask about it if you weren't considering buying it?

I'm just curious

For the sake of knowledge, you know?
which also raises the question, is there a decent watt (like say, 15) amp head that will fit onto a 1x12" cab? Like a mini amp head, but one that doesn't necessarily not pack on the wattage?
do you understand the concept of this forum. you don't get to post a question just because you're curious.

Do you understand the concept of google?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Do you even understand the concept of headroom?

He's saying, if you turned it up at all, you wouldn't be able to get any kind of cleans because a 5 watt amp doesn't have any clean headroom.
However, if you play it quietly, getting all your distortion from the pedal, you could still make the VJ clean up.

How about this then

use my Fender Frontman for cleans

and use the VJ + distortion unit for distorted tones
Quote by AcousticMirror
do you understand the concept of this forum. you don't get to post a question just because you're curious.

Do you understand the concept of google?

is that actually a rule or are you just f*cking with me?
are you seriously ****ing asking if they make 15 watt 112 combos?
are you for real dude.
Quote by AcousticMirror
are you seriously ****ing asking if they make 15 watt 112 combos?
are you for real dude.

no

im asking if they mini sized heads like hte valve jr, but not just 5 watts
Quote by B.Renegades
How about this then

use my Fender Frontman for cleans

and use the VJ + distortion unit for distorted tones

Or sell your Frontman, save the money from a Valve Jr and pedal and buy a decent amp?
Quote by forsaknazrael
For Dream Theater, still?

Have you been paying attention at all?

apparently not did I miss something?
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Or sell your Frontman, save the money from a Valve Jr and pedal and buy a decent amp?

why would I sell my frontman
Quote by B.Renegades
which also raises the question, is there a decent watt (like say, 15) amp head that will fit onto a 1x12" cab? Like a mini amp head, but one that doesn't necessarily not pack on the wattage?

do you seriously not understand that the valve junior has an 8 inch speaker?
for real real?
for real real real?
Quote by AcousticMirror
do you seriously not understand that the valve junior has an 8 inch speaker?
for real real?
for real real real?

your telling me

that the valve jr amp head

has an 8" speaker

facepalm
Quote by B.Renegades
why would I sell my frontman

You've been asking about different amps for months now and effectively pissing everyone off who gives you good advice which you completely ignore. Keep your Frontman, buy an MT-2 and run it into an MXR Fullbore in front of your Frontman on channel 2 with the gain maxed. Should be able to nail Dream Theater's multi thousand dollar tone

Report back here when your ears haemorrhage
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Aug 9, 2010,
Yawn, get a jca20 head and a 1x12 cab. It will sound better than everything else you've even tried mentioning so far.

FYI you've used all you luck up here, you've got your answer now stop posting and making a fool of yourself
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Listen, it's not my fault that your posts are devoid of common reasoning, and then are further ushered into stupidity by your inability to convey your thoughts clearly, using proper punctuation and grammar.

Using proper grammar helps us understand you. If we can't understand you, we can't help you.

And if you weren't paying attention, the Valve Junior is NOT voiced right at all for Dream Theater. That's why what you're saying is dumb.
Spam reported guys. Let him deal with his inevitable ban. Nobody post here from now on unless you want a warning.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Dude, this is how a literate person asks a question ok. check it.

Hi, guys. I need a really portable amp that's around 15 watts. What is the smallest 112 combo that I could get.

see how that's done.

then I would answer. Hey good question. I believe the Orange Tiny Terror Combo is very small. It's not much bigger then a standard 112 cab since the TT head is very small.

Here's how you asked that question.

So like I've got this valve jr. well no. i don't really have it. i'm thinking about maybe having it. it's pretty small. do you guys know if like they make other amps that size. maybe with a 12 inch speaker? I dunno I think i want more then 5 watts though. Maybe like 7 or 9 or 15 and 2/3s.
Quote by forsaknazrael
This is the only way to sound like Dream Theater:

No im pretty sure I could name at least 5 other ways
Quote by forsaknazrael
they'd all be wrong. especially the one where you use a Valve Junior.

but that is the most right way to do it.
that's a picture of John Petrucci's setup.

I didn't CLAIM the VJ could get Dream Theater tone.

I asked if it COULD.
i think the world would split in two if dream theatre could be replicated through a valve jr

oceans would part and stuff level.

professionals dont use practice gear to get their tone/stage level/recording level
Quote by iampeter
i think the world would split in two if dream theatre could be replicated through a valve jr

oceans would part and stuff level.

professionals dont use practice gear to get their tone/stage level/recording level

. . .

So your basically saying that every practice amp sucks, because if they were good, then pros would be using it?

I'm not looking to perfectly replicate Dream Theater sound. I'm asking if it can achieve that level of distortion.

Kind of like a Death Metal band that doesn't want to copy dethklok, but merely wants to try and get that same level of distortion.
Quote by AcousticMirror
have we answered your question yet.

yes you have actually, although maybe not on purpose
Whenever I cranked mine it sounded very reminiscent of The Beatles "Revolution."
Quote by B.Renegades
. . .

So your basically saying that every practice amp sucks, because if they were good, then pros would be using it?

I'm not looking to perfectly replicate Dream Theater sound. I'm asking if it can achieve that level of distortion.

Kind of like a Death Metal band that doesn't want to copy dethklok, but merely wants to try and get that same level of distortion.

you dont understand, there are different uses. guitar tone has to have volume behind it, the tones you enjoy through your music albums are not recorded over the internet or at decibles where you can speak over.

a practice amp reacts much differently to a 100w amp either at max volume or the same volume.

read amptone, AM gives great advice!

in fact, read all of them.

i dont understand same level of distortion honestly, i dont have the skills to explain why either. theres low middle and high distortion i guess, but...yea i do not have the ability to explain anything more then that.
Page 1 of 4