Page 1 of 2
I noticed the Douglas LP copy I was looking at has an alder body.

I know for metal people generally use mahogany for a darker type of sound.

Should I save up a bit longer for the Agile AL2000? Since it has a mahogany body? Or is Alder fine?
Lots of guitars used in metal are made from all of the common body woods.
If you save up for the Agile, it's because it's overall a better guitar.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
Lots of guitars used in metal are made from all of the common body woods.
If you save up for the Agile, it's because it's overall a better guitar.

so Alder should be good?
Quote by T3h_Killjoy
i think yes. Alder is great sounding tone wood,it's really good for a lead player.

well im mostly the rhythm player
On a LP type guitar if you really want the LP type tone you want mahogany. Generally alder is a wood you'd expect to find in Fender type guitars. If you want to sound like a les paul save for the agile.
Quote by coolstoryangus
On a LP type guitar if you really want the LP type tone you want mahogany. Generally alder is a wood you'd expect to find in Fender type guitars. If you want to sound like a les paul save for the agile.

I really just want a good rhythm tone

doesn't matter to me what type of tone it is, other than good rhythm tone
Quote by B.Renegades
I really just want a good rhythm tone

doesn't matter to me what type of tone it is, other than good rhythm tone

mahogany is good for rythm

TBH I dont think you should be worrying about what wood your guitar is made out of,you wont notice much of a difference with your frontman anyway

what types of music do you play and what scale?
Quote by archenemyfan
mahogany is good for rythm

TBH I dont think you should be worrying about what wood your guitar is made out of,you wont notice much of a difference with your frontman anyway

what types of music do you play and what scale?

progressive metal

Major, Pentatonic Minor, Harmonic Minor
Quote by B.Renegades
progressive metal

Major, Pentatonic Minor, Harmonic Minor

srry I meant tuning

whats your budget

for the types of music you play both alder and mahogany are good
Quote by archenemyfan
srry I meant tuning

whats your budget

for the types of music you play both alder and mahogany are good

155 USD including shipping

Drop C#, D Standard, E Standard mostly
Through that amp it doesn't matter what kind of wood your guitar has.
Also, there's no such thing that mahagony is good for rhythm and alder for lead.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Quote by archenemyfan
$155 ? all you get for 150 bucks is some sawdust and glue..save up

you've got to f*cking me
Quote by B.Renegades
you've got to f*cking me

I'm not...if you want a decent guitar you've got spend at least 400 bucks(used)
Quote by archenemyfan

If I was a professional guitarist about to do a live show in front of thousands of people I would have no problem spending 400 on a used guitar.

But instead I'm a 15 year old boy who's been playing for a little over a year and whose audience is either his 6 subscribers on youtube, a couple friends, or family

Notice my dilemma?
Quote by B.Renegades
how about i stick with my current guitar, and focus all funds on upgrading the amp?

This.
Quote by B.Renegades
yea thats right. Thats what you want to hear.

It's about time you made an intelligent statement. That's the first one I've seen from you. The amp is a much larger factor in your tone than the guitar. If you're not happy with your tone...look at your amp. Looking at your sig...there's your problem.
Quote by B.Renegades
If I was a professional guitarist about to do a live show in front of thousands of people I would have no problem spending 400 on a used guitar.

But instead I'm a 15 year old boy who's been playing for a little over a year and whose audience is either his 6 subscribers on youtube, a couple friends, or family

Notice my dilemma?

whats that got to do with it?I received a $1000 strat as a gift from my parents when I was 15,and I didnt even have a youtube account...many people who arent prof racing drivers buy porsches,they dont even go faster than 100 kmph in them...for pleasure,for personal satisfaction or just for fun..play some good guitars and you'll notice the difference

BTW I still dont have a youtube account and I still dont play in a band\

listen to what eyebanez said
Quote by B.Renegades

Notice my dilemma?

No, I don't notice your dilemma. I don't see how being a 'professional' guitarist would be any different than a youtube cover player. If you want good tone, get good gear. That's all. Save up your money, and don't try to spend on cheap stuff.

The general rule of thumb is that you pay for quality. In a lot of cases you might be paying for a brand name too, but generally, the more you spend, the better it is.
Quote by B.Renegades
yea thats right. Thats what you want to hear.

no i want to hear freebird, but that's close.

at least it's a start in the right direction, amp over guitar at this point.
You're playing a Fender Frontman 212R. Wood type won't matter. If it's got humbuckers, you're good.
Quote by archenemyfan
whats that got to do with it?I received a $1000 strat as a gift from my parents when I was 15,and I didnt even have a youtube account...many people who arent prof racing drivers buy porsches,they dont even go faster than 100 kmph in them...for pleasure,for personal satisfaction or just for fun..play some good guitars and you'll notice the difference

BTW I still dont have a youtube account and I still dont play in a band\

listen to what eyebanez said

Well that's nice for you but not all of us have parents who just give us $1000 dollar guitars.

That being said you should probably change your amp first. You can buy some pedals to get better sounds from your amp but if you want monster tone the amp is where it starts. As far as guitars go you can get a good used guitar for 300 bucks. Look at PRS SE Tremonti guitars. They go used in the 300 dollar range all the time and they are great guitars.

If you want monster sound you'll need to work and save money that's what I did. All my gear bought and payed for with my hard earned money.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

"of course he`s egotistical we`re all egotistical if we weren`t we`d be bassists."

Alter Bridge Pearl Jam Foo Fighters 3 Doors Down
Quote by SilentFactor
Well that's nice for you but not all of us have parents who just give us $1000 dollar guitars.

yeah I know,I wasn't telling him to buy a 1000$ guitar,what I meant was it's ok for someone that young to play a good guitar
Alder is brighter sounding, mahogany is warmer sounding. The Gibson and metal standard is usually mahogany. The blues and fender standard is alder. The neck wood will have more of an affect on the tone though.
Quote by W4RP1G
Alder is brighter sounding, mahogany is warmer sounding. The Gibson and metal standard is usually mahogany. The blues and fender standard is alder. The neck wood will have more of an affect on the tone though.

when plugged in yes, when played acoustically no. i know that makes no sense but do a side by side, it's pretty crazy. a strat is darker than a paul. i know, i know...

as far as the neck wood, listen to this guy because he's the first person i've seen post this aside from myself. and he's dead nuts on.

great post warpig.
Quote by gregs1020
when plugged in yes, when played acoustically no. i know that makes no sense but do a side by side, it's pretty crazy. a strat is darker than a paul. i know, i know...

as far as the neck wood, listen to this guy because he's the first person i've seen post this aside from myself. and he's dead nuts on.

great post warpig.

Thanks! I may have to try the unplugged side by side comparison one of these days.
Quote by W4RP1G
Thanks! I may have to try the unplugged side by side comparison one of these days.

you will be quite surprised.

we compared a bunch with the same size/age/type of strings and it was really interesting. a tele, strat, paul and a mccarty.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by rooster456
You're playing a Fender Frontman 212R. Wood type won't matter. If it's got humbuckers, you're good.

So the SX guitar I linked to a while back would be okay then?

And FYI I am selling the Frontman for 65 dollars and using that money to buy a Peavey Vypyr 15 used. Which will do plenty to tide me over until XMas
Shortest month ever.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
How about I sort this shit out right now?!

Professional musicians often spend thousands of dollars to get their gear just right. Anyone who receives a guitar priced at a grand at age 15 is either a prodigy, or a spoiled rich kid.

TS, for the best value, sell your amp and combine that cash with whatever else you have to buy a decent amp.
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Quote by LoudLove5150
How about I sort this shit out right now?!

Professional musicians often spend thousands of dollars to get their gear just right. Anyone who receives a guitar priced at a grand at age 15 is either a prodigy, or a spoiled rich kid.

Sweeping generalizations resulting from ignorance and/or jealousy FTW!
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Shortest month ever.

see my sig, he specified gg&a.

we're in EG.

<.<.

.>.>

run!
Quote by B.Renegades

Notice my dilemma?

you are kinda going about this the wrong way. a Les Paul style guitar not made of mahogany won't have the same tone or even a similar tone. i've played a stagg LP copy that was alder and it was a very bright sounding guitar. this could be good if you need a sound that will cut thru the mix. on the other hand if you want a really heavy sound then a mahogany guitar would be better. you may also want to consider a basswood guitar as they fall in between sound wise. no guitar will automatically give you a great rhythm sound that requiers a combo of your playing, the guitar and the amp tone. if you don't really know what you want play some different guitars and see what suites YOU best.
Quote by archenemyfan
$155 ? all you get for 150 bucks is some sawdust and glue..save up

SUBTLE MODE=OFF

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
Quote by archenemyfan

Who put that crap in your head?

@ TS - The SX SR-1 is supposedly a good guitar once you put in some new pickups but I have heard of some people having to shim the necks to get it set at the proper angle. try looking at the Douglas Spad or the Douglas SR-1, Octanis, or Halo. I hear those are all good and I know the Douglas SR-1 is good cause I have the Debeo Octanis which is the same guitar but without the EMG passives. A bonus is that the SR-1, Spad, and Octanis are all set neck and the SR-1 has a mahogany body.
Page 1 of 2