Hey UG, I've decided that I shall take the splurge in buying myself a graphic EQ to shape my tone to how I desire.

Although, I've ran into a little dilemma, which EQ should I look at, the MXR 6 band or the MXR 10 band. All I plan to do is boost the "low lows?", due to the lack of the resonance function on my amp.

I have an inkling that the 10 band would be the greater choice, although I don't want to have to spend more than necessary.

If there are any other EQ pedals that are worth taking a look at which are reasonably priced, please give them a mention.

Before I get any posts leading me to buy a rack mount, I don't want one, I'd like a stomp box that could easily fit on my pedalboard.

Thanks in advance
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by AxSilentxLine
The 10 band is what you'll want then

Just to clear things up, it will do the job for the lack of my resonance control, yes?

Because all I want to do is crank the very low lows up to what 10 (resonance) would be on a 6505.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Instead of me creating a new thread, which parameter is the slider that is closest to the resonance control?
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Danelectro Fish& Chips. 7 band EQ, works just as well as the MXR, costs a lot less.
NOTE: If your gonna be toggling it on and off during play....get the MXR...the Dano footswitch isn't all that...good for engaging between songs, but not IN a song.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by Vinson
Danelectro Fish& Chips. 7 band EQ, works just as well as the MXR, costs a lot less.
NOTE: If your gonna be toggling it on and off during play....get the MXR...the Dano footswitch isn't all that...good for engaging between songs, but not IN a song.

Even better than either would be a rack EQ.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by forsaknazrael
A very good question.

It depends, because not all resonance controls are created equal. It's also worth noting that a resonance control, usually, does not boost frequencies, it controls how much bass is goes back into the signal from the negative feedback circuit. It's just like a prescence control.

Think of a 5150/6505 with the resonance set to 10, with my bass around 6-7ish.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's not like I can do frequency response calculations in my head, not to mention that I am not familiar with the 5150 circuit....

You'd have to try it out for yourself.

I guess my assumption of that you're a genius was incorrect.

I've got a feeling the Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips would be the safe option, since it would only cost me $40~. Is there any great reason why they flog it for so cheap? Are there any horrible aspects of the pedal?
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by forsaknazrael
I only know a little bit about it because I was thinking about modding a resonance control into my amp. I never learned the different frequency calculations, sorry.

It's probably not true bypass, and it's in a plastic case. That's why it's cheap.

Are the MXR EQ's true bypass?
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy

Yes.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
plastic case, not the best footswitch, buffered bypass (this is often a GOOD thing especially if it is in front of a bunch of other pedals!)
I really can't hear a difference when it's hooked up (in bypass mode) and when I remove it completely from my board.
With all sliders set to 0, I don't hear any real change in the tone when switching on and off.

Now I have ripped the footswitch. But i don't mean to say it isn't reliable, but there is no click or anything telling you it is engaged or not, you gotta look at the pedal to see the LED (of course you should HEAR the change, otherwise why have it).
For MY purposes, I use it 90% of the time I'm on my crunch channel, 5-10% of the time I'm on my lead channel, and 5% when I'm on my clean. I never switch it during play, so the wierd footswitch doesn't effect me. I use it as a clean boost in front of the amp (mid boost+SLIGHT low/mid boost). You sound like you would be better off putting yours in the loop.
For THAT use (if not doing a lot of switching) a rack unit would be ideal...save for the price.

Quote by Mopy

Quote by Raijouta
Yes.

No. they are NOT true hardwire bypass. They are hardwired, but NOT true hardwire bypass

http://www.jimdunlop.com/blog/?p=384
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at Aug 11, 2010,
I was in the same position some time ago. I asked around and decided to go with the 6-band as that gives me all access I want. AND I saved 50e or so....

Cheers
Jonathan