I always tend to just write out lyrics and music separately as I usually just write stuff down when it comes to me, and never really plan out a time to write either one. The problem is, while my lyrics/music are good separately, I can never think of music to go with my pre-written lyrics and lyrics to go with my pre-written music. I feel like they have potential, but I can't get them to work together if you understand what I mean.

Should I keep lyrics in mind when I write music and vice versa? The only reason I don't is because when I do if feels like I'm keeping myself in a box and it hampers my work. So can anyone help me over this mental roadblock? Thanks.
hey

yeah you should keep your lyrics in mind sometimes when you writes music.

I finds that if you have pre-written lyrics, then you can't always just take stock music you have pre-written and visa versa. What I suggest is when you writes one, put it to the side for a short while and try to make special lyrics/music based on the mood of what you already written.

I got a bunch of lyrics I cant get music for because my pre-written music doesn't fit properly. So when I works with them I try to feel what they are. Sometimes you wont get what you originally planned but it works.

Of course it also depends on the genre and your influences. I suggest when you writes say music, listen to artists that inspired it and see what they done with that style, and consider it a possibility maybe?

Lostbluesman

P.S by the way, sometimes just record and listen to the separate pieces and write the first thing that comes to mind while listening?
Last edited by Lostbluesman at Aug 15, 2010,
I guess everyone has his own method for songwriting, but most of the time I have my lyrics written first, and then I put music on them.
I try to sing my lyrics (be it just in my head or not ) and I write down the notes of the melody.
Then I (try to) find chords that fit the melody of the vocals.
Next, I make another melody (that is, a riff or a counterpoint or...) in/around those chords, or I just keep them as chords, depending on what fits better for the song.
Then I work on the structure of the song, adding instrumental pieces, like an intro, interludes, outro...

I only write the guitar or the piano, or whatever I plan to play myself in this song, and I let the other bandmembers play something of their own.

I do realise that this will most likely not work for you as it does for me, but maybe we're lucky and it does?